Decompression surgery

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Natwie

Decompression surgery

Post by Natwie »

Has anyone had pudendal nerve decompression surgery? Thank you!
Violet M

Re: Decompression surgery

Post by Violet M »

I have. Did you have some questions about it?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Natwie

Post by Natwie »

Thank you so much for replying. Would you say your surgery was successful? Did your pain level decrease significantly? Did you have the transgluteal approach? Anxious to hear answers!
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Nat,
Welcome to HOPE. I'm also a surgical patient who benefitted. It may be helpful to browse our surgery section of the forum to learn what others experiences have been.
You may also find helpful information in SUCCESS STORIES, as well as our home page to view individual stories about some of our members.
We're glad you found us and are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Hi I also had Transglutel left decompression surgery and my pain has decreased significantly.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Natwie wrote:Thank you so much for replying. Would you say your surgery was successful? Did your pain level decrease significantly? Did you have the transgluteal approach? Anxious to hear answers!
I had TIR approach from Bautrant and my surgery was very successful. Off all medications now, back to work, can sit for hours, exercising again, pain level rarely above a 0-1.

That doesn't mean I think everyone should have surgery. I think it's a last resort and before going into it you should try conservative therapies first and have an accurate diagnosis.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
swarke

Post by swarke »

Hi Violet,

I have just started having injections into the Pudendal nerve, but am in so much pain although there was a brief window of painlessness (5 mins) but I am due to have another one soon on either side. My pain is realy bad and wa made worse when I had a colonoscopy. I want to go through surgery and it sounds like it worked very well for you but the finances are dire as is the pain. The NHS in United Kingdom do not pay for this surgery. Did you have it France? Would you mind if I asked how much it cost?
I am is such a desperate state. :cry:

Kind regards Shirley
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Shirley, the cost from Dr. Bautrant was about 6000 euros but that was almost 9 years ago and since then it has gone up some. That included all of the medical costs - hospital, anesthesia, etc. If you have to pay for it yourself and money is an issue I have heard it is cheapest to have the surgery from Prof. Robert in France.

There are people who have gotten the NHS to pay for surgery from Robert but I don't know -- things might have changed and it may be impossible now. Judy Birch on the UK pelvic pain forum might know.

Violet

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”