Greg T going to grad school

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
GregT

Greg T going to grad school

Post by GregT »

Hey, for whoever may be interested, I'm trying to get back into the work force. I've been on disability since 2008 and I've done some work here and there (painting, Census, gardening), but I'm making an attempt at getting off of disability by getting into a grant/program within my state (Louisiana) that is an effort to try and get more math and science teachers in the area that I live in, central Louisiana.

The grant is a wonderful grant. I take classes at LSU (Baton Rouge) for 6 weeks starting May 28, 2013. Tuition is free as is room and board. The key is that after my classes I have to pass high school math teaching level Praxis test. If I don't pass it then I'm out of the program. I've taught math to fellow classmates and to my children and wife, but I believe that math is much harder today than when I was in high school or college. But, I'm going to go for it and see what happens. I've got my kneeling cushion and "special chair" ready to go with me on Monday morning. All classes are in one building which makes it easy for me to have my sitting apparatuses (sp??) ready for me to use.

Personally, I think it's a long shot because when I was studying for the Praxis test a few months ago I didn't recognize a good percentage of what I was studying. But, I'm going to give it my all and hope that the information sticks with me.

That's it. I just wanted to let anyone who may be interested know what I will be up to. After that, I may be checking into a medtronic stimulator for my PN pain. A friend of mine has had a really good outcome from one she had done very recently. Maybe it's the last thing that I could possibly try.

Okay, hope you all are doing well.

Greg
Had surgery in Nantes, France in 2001 with Professor Robert. I advocate physical therapy with PTs who specialize in the pelvic floor. I also advocate injections to help diagnose PN and I am in favor of having PN surgery to release the nerve when the diagnoses points to an entrapped nerve.
janetm2

Re: Greg T going to grad school

Post by janetm2 »

Greg,
Good for you and best of luck. I have a coworker that gave me more details than I needed on her son's math progress last year and there must be something with the "new" math that is different. I applaud you for getting back in the workforce. I was lucky to stay in but had some doubts for awhile. I am hoping to finally 2 years post surgery increase my hours this summer except I am getting 1 day a week furloughed. I have been off more than that so maybe I can just be out the 8 hours a week and work more in the fall. Take Care
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
GregT

Post by GregT »

Good luck to you, Janet. I actually hesitated to even mention this venture of mine until (or if) actually passed the Praxis test. You're right, what they study these days does seem to be more than what I studied 28 years ago. I may fall on my face, but I'll be able to say that I did try. My wife and I are divorcing (she filed) and I don't really like depending on her for money, but that's my current reality. I'm going to try and enjoy myself a little but my main goal is to study hard and to pass the test after school (assuming that I pass the one(s) during school.

Take care and good luck to you again.

Greg
Had surgery in Nantes, France in 2001 with Professor Robert. I advocate physical therapy with PTs who specialize in the pelvic floor. I also advocate injections to help diagnose PN and I am in favor of having PN surgery to release the nerve when the diagnoses points to an entrapped nerve.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Greg,
Thanks for the well wishes. I know you aren't there yet but it is encouraging to hear about someone taking a fresh start especially with this condition. So sorry about the divorce, it never is easy but again we already have quite a road without those things but they happen as part of our lives. I am lucky my last few years of work are here and I will have a pension to take me from then on, I wish everyone here had that. My bump is the recent loss of my brother so I know how hard it is to get through a stressor on top of this ailment. We had initial services in Nov/Dec and in June the burial of his ashes. I am feeling much better physically so hope for only a minor flareup this trip. Hang in there Greg and my thoughts are with you.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Congrats Greg!

Have you gone on the website for Praxis and taken the sample tests? I substitute teach, for which you only take the Praxis I and II (math portion is simple conceptual knowledge and requires no studying at all)...but I hit up the specialty Praxis test samples and took some of the practice tests for fun - I would not have touched math with a 10 foot pole but took some of the sciences, history, and whatever they call home ec these days - and they were really a breeze considering I have no specialized training in any of the areas aside from Biology. If you haven't taken the Praxis sample tests or explored the Praxis website, I recommend it: If you ace the math practice test all is well and good; but if you miss a significant portion, on the website there is also a breakdown of what the test covers and what material you need to study. I am confident that you will do fine.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Good for you, Greg! I applaud you for taking this important step in your life. I know when I re-entered the workforce after PNE I was a bit nervous about it but if your pain levels aren't too high it might actually help you get your mind off of PN. That has been my experience anyway. Good luck!

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
GregT

Post by GregT »

HerMajesty wrote:Congrats Greg!

Have you gone on the website for Praxis and taken the sample tests? I substitute teach, for which you only take the Praxis I and II (math portion is simple conceptual knowledge and requires no studying at all)...but I hit up the specialty Praxis test samples and took some of the practice tests for fun - I would not have touched math with a 10 foot pole but took some of the sciences, history, and whatever they call home ec these days - and they were really a breeze considering I have no specialized training in any of the areas aside from Biology. If you haven't taken the Praxis sample tests or explored the Praxis website, I recommend it: If you ace the math practice test all is well and good; but if you miss a significant portion, on the website there is also a breakdown of what the test covers and what material you need to study. I am confident that you will do fine.
I have downloaded the Praxis test (Math II) from the ETS website. It is a test, but when it gives the answers, there isn't much explanation or teaching. So, I've since gone to a bookstore and bought 2 different books that I will use once I'm nearing the end of my classes. So much of the problems seemed fairly foreign to me. I'm hoping that as each day passes that all of this math will look more and more familiar to me. I'm starting to get more excited and maybe a bit confident that at least physically I can handle it. We haven't actually separated into our specific subjects and studies. I'm studying alongside some science majors, but we will soon ( I think later on today) just work with teachers who will specifically work with us on MATH. I'll be happy when that portion begins. I'm hoping that this will boost my confidence in being able to pass the Math Praxis II test.

Thank you all for your well wishes and even prayers. I'm going to need every possible benefit to get me through this.

Greg
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Yeah it's weird I think the result of all the politics that have led to "teaching to the test" - I work in inner city schools with kids who in general do not particularly want to be there and do not seem to have a well rounded education at all...but they are all little math geniuses who know stuff I am sure I was never even taught! Still, you'll learn it. It's new material but once they focus on it, if a 6th grader who spends half the class texting can learn it, so can you. I have found teaching to be a perfect profession for this disability because there is a lot of freedom of movement - you choose when and where to stand and sit, or walk. Neuropathy - wise, i usually feel better after a work day than after a day off.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
donstore

Post by donstore »

Hey Greg, glad to hear you're making a move. It's never too late to change your life. I went back to school when I was 55 and then got a great job when I was 57 so anything is possible.

All my best, Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
GregT

Post by GregT »

HerMajesty wrote:Yeah it's weird I think the result of all the politics that have led to "teaching to the test" - I work in inner city schools with kids who in general do not particularly want to be there and do not seem to have a well rounded education at all...but they are all little math geniuses who know stuff I am sure I was never even taught! Still, you'll learn it. It's new material but once they focus on it, if a 6th grader who spends half the class texting can learn it, so can you. I have found teaching to be a perfect profession for this disability because there is a lot of freedom of movement - you choose when and where to stand and sit, or walk. Neuropathy - wise, i usually feel better after a work day than after a day off.
That's exactly what I was thinking......that I would be able to vary my choices of how to exist in class from sitting some (I've been sitting pretty well thus far in class), to standing to walking around.

Don, that's great to hear about how you went back to class at an age that is even greater than what I currently am (50). I hope to be able to have a story like yours in time.

Greg

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”