I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS ! INGUINAL HERNIA

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
kathyd

Re: I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS ! INGUINAL HERNIA

Post by kathyd »

Hi Karyn Don and everyone
Thx Karyn for your good wishes!
I saw Dr Meyers this week. He was very nice but Im not sure I learned much. He listened to my history, examined me..He gave me commands and asked questions like "does it hurt I do if I do this or that"... mostly my answer was no. He had me do a sit up manuever and I just followed his directions..He also viewed my previous MRIs Bone scan etc..films while I waited to see him...We waited a couple hours ...Luckily we have a van so just laid in there until he was ready.

After the exam we talked and he said he'd seen some folks lately with pelvic pain issues etc, and said that he guessed I probably had a pudendal type neurological syndrome..(what I expected but not what I wanted to hear) He commented that he hopes more docs will get involved in these pain issues and that they area not as complicated if docs seem to think, but they need to learn.. I agree!
I mentioned that we thought hernia could account for the blocked feeling I have which keep me from peeing completely and getting relief. That was how my symptoms began,. When I was a teen - about age 17 I noticed I suddenly couldn't empty enough when I peed...
It was no big deal until many years later when that feeling became constant.. So I told him that whole story..
He did say my pelvic MRI was not specific enough and he wanted me to get another one that day, but It was late in the day and I decided to come back and do the MRI soon. Im glad he at least wants to check that out. His nurse said this MRI of the pelvis would be very comprehensive
But no one mentioned a dynamic ultrasound or CT scan or anything...Should I be satisfied that hernia is not likely if nothing shows up on his new MRI?
My gut feel is its not hernia, cuz I just think that would be too easy, right,but hubby still wants to make sure.. I do too, but its painful to lay on the MRI table
My pain ins indescribable ..don't know if a hernia would cause that.
Anyway wanted to tell y'all about the Dr Meyers experience and see what folks thought.
Thanks for your interest!
donstore

Post by donstore »

Hi KathyD,
If I were in your neighborhood I would get a second opinion from Dr. James Goodyear in Lansdale Pennsylvania. I would also get a dynamic ultrasound as a first test for hernia. It's a very easy exam. I'm not a doctor but it seems to me that an MRI or any exam where you are laying flat on your back allows hernias to escape detection . I am also of the opinion that an inguinal hernia can cause pain almost anywhere in the pelvis either directly or referred. Once again I'm not a doctor but I have pretty much had to be my own doctor with this problem. I diagnosed myself with the help of NorthernSpy after 6 years of increasing pain. If I had not been successful with the ultrasound I would have moved on to the CT on my side with contrast and then I would have gone to see Dr. Goodyear in Lansdale Pennsylva. Hernias are a lot easier to fix than PNE, that's for sure and statistically a much more likely reason. Obviously my own experience has molded my opinion on this topic but that's what I think. Good luck.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thanks So much Don
I have been hearing from our friend northern spy as well. I agree that its a possibility. I think a dynamic ultrasound would make more sense than putting myself through yet another MRI which will most likely yield no new info, and I think Dr Meyer was too quick to jump to the PN dx as his exam was quick and he just asked a few typical questions,
like does it hurt when you cough etc...
My pain worsens daily so something is going on there ..
I am waiting for pain pump trial but the doc seems to be to busy to even return phone calls. I am worried it won't happen on time as my first date in March was cancelled due to a miscommunication.
As you guys suggest ,the next steps of CT and seeing Dr Goodyear areworth a try ..
I do think the old school country doc who used his 5 senses rather than depending on reports, and gives you more time, may be more like to find the root. In some ways I don't fit the PNE picture. I don't haae burning pain, or numbness etc... it a different type of rectal pain.
Also I have never responded to PN blocks...no relief at all and the peripheral nerve surgery done by Dellon hurt me so much. It was completely unnecessary.
I appreciate the suggestion..very kind of you.
My husband has always wondered about hernia issue.. I am so happy for you that it turned out the case!
I hope all goes well.
Thank again.
Kathy
donstore

Post by donstore »

Hello to everyone,
I just wanted to post on the developments in my case. After my positive ultrasound exam I went to see a doctor at UCSF. Because he could not feel an obvious lump he said he would not operate. I was disappointed to say the least. I believe that his decision was colored not only by his limited experience and desire not to mess up his batting average but also his desire not to become the guy that failed to solve my problem after a long string of failures at UCSF. He was a young doctor with about 10 years of experience. He said I could always get a second opinion which I proceeded to do. I asked the chief of surgery at my hospital for a recommendation and he said that Dr. Barry Gardiner who was a pioneer in laparoscopic surgery would be my best bet. Fortunately he was located in San Ramon California about 20 miles from where I live in Berkeley. I saw Dr. Gardiner on Tuesday and he listened to my clinical history and gave me a physical exam and also reviewed my ultrasound results. He told me that I had bilateral inguinal hernias and said we should set up a date to operate. Approval from my HMO took only 48 hours and I will be having my procedure on June 20. From what I have read the gold standard in diagnosis is intraoperative so bottom line I can only do better from this procedure or stay the same at the worst. Dr. Gardiner will be doing laparoscopic surgery on both sides. Northernspy tells me that I may not notice a difference right away but it won't take that long if I am successful. Improvement will be noticed in a period of months rather than years. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. I will keep everyone posted.

Don
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Don,
Wonderful to hear you are set for surgery and less than month away. I hope this solves all your pain or at least signicantly. Well wishes and take care. Look forward to hearing the success.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for keeping us updated, Don. Wishing you all the best on June 20 and during your recovery. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
rea

Post by rea »

Don,
That is great news to hear. Wishing you all the best and a pain free life soon. Like Kathyd I am a thin woman but I've lifted heavy objects all adult life (40-80 lbs. bags of cement for ex.) I asked my gp for a script for an ultrasound and I was told I didn't have the symptoms and didn't need the test. I didn't follow up. Guess I'll talk with PM or go to my gyn. I've never been checked for labral tears either.
Question: Can knife-like stabbing pains after bm or after sitting in the rectal/perinium area be a symptom? I've had these happen for 4-5 years before the burning started.
Rea
donstore

Post by donstore »

Rea , I am of opinion that all sorts of Pelvic pain can be caused by inguinal hernias. I had to insist on an ultrasound for myself since I did not have a noticeable lump And many doctors do not have any idea that inguinal hernias can cause referred pain.
rea

Post by rea »

Don,
I asked one of my doctors about a hernia and they said my radiologist would have seen that on the MRI and MRN that I had. I was flat on my back and not moving. From what I've read, I would need an ultrasound. I'm seeing another doc July 22nd that might order me one. If not, I'll try another doctor. I want everything ruled out. Also, plan to focus on my SI joint issues to see if that helps my pn pain. Being on this sight and reading has really helped.
Take care,
Rea
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Don, you have been such a trooper in all of this, not giving up even when 'the experts' said no . I'm in awe of your tenacity. If this is the answer. . .. and I'm sure that it will be, you should be so proud and do yourself a huge favor, look after yourself and get well soon!
Keep us informed.

Good luck :)
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”