Nerve block success and failure

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Datboy333

Nerve block success and failure

Post by Datboy333 »

I'm scheduling my second nerve block for next month. I wanted to know who has had success with them and who has had complications. I'm a little unsure with my first one since it only gave me temporary relief & a bad flair up.
Violet M

Re: Nerve block success and failure

Post by Violet M »

Not very many nerve block successes have been reported on the forum. Due to the marcaine analgesic used it's typical to have temporary relief of pain but when the steroid kicks in several days later it may cause a flare-up. I had a flare-up from some of my blocks but eventually the flare-up calmed down. Occasionally someone gets worse from blocks. If you plan to ever consider surgery you will likely be required to have a series of 3 by most of the surgeons. Some of them want you to have at least one with their team so you might want to take that into consideration when you are scheduling your blocks.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

I've had four blocks, mostly with no effect except for a temporary flare-up of pain. They did result in a diagnosis though.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
Datboy333

Post by Datboy333 »

JUst an update. I had my second nerve block and I have been put on percocets. the combination of both is absolutely amazing. I am almost pain-free. it just sucks I have to keep on this treatment to receive relief. its been 3 weeks since my nerve block and im scheduled to have them done monthly for four more months :)
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hi Datboy,

I only had temporary relief with them. On my third block, I had a massive flare up for about 2 to 3 weeks. It hurt pretty bad, but pain levels went back down to my "normal" after that.

I am psyched to hear that the oral meds in combination with the block has been extremely helpful for you. Would love to hear how your blocks go and how you are doing over the course of time, when you have the blocks done.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Datboy. Glad to hear you are feeling better. You might want to try going off percocet temporarily to see if that's what's giving you improvement and if it's really the nerve blocks. Nerve blocks (especially steroid blocks) can cause complications including long-term worsening of symptoms so there are physicians who don't give more than 3 and use them primarily for diagnostic purposes.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
penney

Post by penney »

I had my fourth ct guided nerve block today. Done by Dr Pablo Villablanca at UCLA, I cannot say enough about the kindness and compassion of this Dr. My experience has been an overall reduction in pain. I also have experienced longer periods of relief with each injection. When my flares start getting more severe I have been scheduled another block trying to prevent backsliding to original pain levels. Prior to this I had 10 caudal injections and found no reduction in pain. My job requires a lot of sitting so I bought a herman miller chair which helps some and also found the tush cush (amazon $40) to be helpful. I take lyrics, but only 1/3 of the recommended dose. I cannot function on the full dose. My initial diagnosis and referral was done by Dr Andrea Rapkin also at UCLA, she has been very willing to help me look at all options and educate me on pros and cons. UCLA is 200 mies from my home and the car rides are difficult but as we all know we will do whatever it takes to try and resolve this painful condition.
corybaby

Post by corybaby »

Penney
Let us know how your progressing and also where they are doing the blocks, if not too personal..

Hi......Im new to this forum, diagnosed PNE since Late 2010.

Im 50, have a sitdown job for the last 30 years, but try to be active in my real life...gardening, bike riding, motorcycles (until recently) , scuba diver etc...

Developed this hyperesthesia in my upper thighs and butt ,perineum testies area a couple years ago.......Primary care diagnosed me as a lower lumbar nerve issue as i had two laminectomys about 12 years ago. My Lower vertibreas look like an f--d up jigsaw puzzle....motorcycle accident when i was 20 plus god knows what else i did when i was young. At that time a right foot flop was the indication of the problem, not pain..

Consequently ive been to the pain doctors for awhile now.. tomorrow im going in for the 12th treatment/nerve block....this time the Caudel block, i guess this is where they put in some steroid (right between the upper cheeks) and try to coat the nerves that exit the spine in a blanket move, rather than target a specific spot. Dr said the scar tissue from the surgeries could be the cause....STILL cant find the spot thats either entrapped or rubbed causing the pain???
Ive had the lower lumbar blocks, both sides numerous times, facet blocks both sides and an ablation on one side, tried a spinal stimulator from st Judes (trial implant) and two or three pudendal nerve blocks
With very little relief and none more than a day or two....pain meds are the pits, tried oxycodone, kadian, lyrica, cymbalta, vicodin and a few others
the only thing that doesnt ruin my world is taking a half a 5 mg vic about every 3-4 hrs......all the others make me dizzy, sick, flashy,grumpy etc.....you al know the symptoms....still i know these meds long term are addicting even at 10 mg a day
Im really getting discouraged....
Any words of encouragment? any success stories?
Thanks Cory
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Cory,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your upcoming procedure.

Just curious did you have any temporary relief (even an hour?) from the pudendal nerve blocks? Even temporary relief can be diagnostic. What about an MRI -- have you had one and does it show any impingements on the nerves in the sacral area? I guess the important thing is for you to get a proper diagnosis and to narrow down where the pain generators are which is a bit of a trick as you already know. It is often difficult to determine whether you have a radiculopathy in the spine or neuropathy of the peripheral pudendal nerves. What about rectal exam - do you have any tenderness along the course of the pudendal nerves at ischial spine or alcock's canal when pressed on via the rectum? This is one of the signs of pudendal nerve entrapment according to the Nantes team publication. http://www.pudendalhope.info/sites/defa ... iteria.pdf Sorry for all the questions. Just giving you some ideas of things to ask your docs.

Violet
corybaby

Post by corybaby »

Hi Violet
Thanks for responding!
ive had at least two mri's. From my understanding a regular MRI which is what ive had doesnt show the nerves well at all, so no, no diagnostic result in that test.
Dr Filler has an MR neurography that will do that but my INS wont get me into the door and $5g and more, isnt in the cards for us right now.
The nerve blocks seem to cause a small flare but the pudendal block (put in the lower cheek bilaterely didnt seem to do much) Yesterdays caudel block seemed to cause a bigger flare up and im hopeful once the irritations wear off it may help....fingers crossed....
No sign of tenderness in the ares mentioned, but thanks for the ideas and links...
All my ultrasensitivity and then the killing pain is along that nerve, centered in the perinieum and spreading out from there, so its got to be that nerve!
more later, gotta go to work so i can sit down......woo hoo :(
oh my god its miserable, life changing for sure!
Thank you
Cory

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”