My pain journey - new here

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
kmerritt

Re: My pain journey - new here

Post by kmerritt »

I had my first PT appt on Thursday. My therapist is almost positive I have PN :) At least I have a "name for the pain" (like the rhyme?). She speaks with the urologist in Denver, Dr. Gerig, who treats PN frequently. She said she can all and consult with her any time. My appt isn't until August. Anxious to see how the therapy goes for me.
Burning pain started 11yrs ago mildly. Continuous since 1/13.
MRI hip mild labral hip tear. Multiple dr appts. PT with pelvic therapist. Diagnosed w/ PN by Dr. Nel Gerig. 2 nerve blocks for diagnosis followed by PRFA by Dr. Wright at Denver Pain Mgmt. Need repeat. Dr. Hibner 11/13. Meds: Gabapentin, Valium/Baclofen vag supp, Lorazepam, Nortiptyline, Miralax, Magnesium, stool softeners. Believe PN cause was from very traumatic child birth, fall/fx coccyx, fall on Lt ischael tuberosity.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That's great that your PT seems to know what she is doing and communicates with Dr. Gerig. Good luck with PT. I will be interested to hear how it goes for you. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck :) You definitely seem to be making steps in the right direction.
Take care,

Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

since my last post I have now been to Denver to see Dr Nel Gerig who is a urologist who specializes in pelvic pain and appears to know a lot about PN which is what she diagnosed me with.she started me on Gabapentin, tizanadine, valium/baclofen vag supp, lorazepam, and had me continue my Tylenol 4 for breakthrough pain. I also took it upon myselfto schedule an appointment at Denver pain management. Based on my symptoms they also diagnosed me with PN and have me scheduled for a pudendal nerve block on Monday.I know several of you have had you have had EMG's done and P
otter MRI's. is it necessary for me to have these done also. If they do find an entrapment I'm not sure I would have surgery anyway so why but I have the potter MRI done? I'm also open to PRFA. What sequence should these things be done?
MRI hip mild labral hip tear. Multiple dr appts. PT with pelvic therapist. Diagnosed w/ PN by Dr. Nel Gerig. 2 nerve blocks for diagnosis followed by PRFA by Dr. Wright at Denver Pain Mgmt. Need repeat. Dr. Hibner 11/13. Meds: Gabapentin, Valium/Baclofen vag supp, Lorazepam, Nortiptyline, Miralax, Magnesium, stool softeners. Believe PN cause was from very traumatic child birth, fall/fx coccyx, fall on Lt ischael tuberosity.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

K,

I hope your PN block went well. It's really an individual decision on whether to go for the MRI and what order to do things in. Some people prefer to do non-invasive diagnostic tests such as the MRI first before trying procedures that involve injections but really no tests are 100% accurate. I was able to get an accurate diagnosis without the Potter MRI but some people prefer to have that added information.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

My block went well n ready for second one, then will probably do PRFA.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”