Greg T going to grad school

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
helenlegs 11

Re: Greg T going to grad school

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck Greg.
You have such an open and positive attitude that I'm sure the 'new stuff' will be something you will be able to take on board, even if it is challenging initially. Good for you!
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
GregT

Post by GregT »

Well, I gave up after a little bit more than a week. The information just wouldn't sink in. I was sitting pretty comfortably though, in my nice chair and cushion. But I was truly overwhelmed because I just could not grasp certain aspects and I felt that I was holding up the others that were learning with me and that I was wasting their time and mine. I'm back home now and I'm fine. I don't know that I could have actually held a full-time job (teaching) and not become a total ass to be around. Teaching, from what I hear, is a very challenging career, and I've become used to having time to relax, lie around and take things a bit easier.

I was thinking when I first made this thread that I maybe should wait until I was through with school before I posted about this effort. That's okay, though. It's okay to try and fall short, and I don't mind if that my shortcomings have now been broadcasted to all of my PN friends.

Greg
Had surgery in Nantes, France in 2001 with Professor Robert. I advocate physical therapy with PTs who specialize in the pelvic floor. I also advocate injections to help diagnose PN and I am in favor of having PN surgery to release the nerve when the diagnoses points to an entrapped nerve.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Greg,
Sorry it did not work but I am sure there is a good reason around the corner. We still think the best of you and I hope you find another avenue to pursue that is more balancing with the relaxation. I was just with a teacher that said it is getting tougher to get her students to get the grades the administrators expect and other issues so she discouraged her daughter from going into teaching. Keep thinking and I hope some other idea comes to you. Take Care. Working full time is no longer a goal for me so I can get that needed rest.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Have you looked into subbing instead, Greg? I chose it as a way back into the work force because it does allow me to go at my own pace and work as much or as little as I can handle. requirements vary by region: Here, it is an Associates' degree or 60 college credits and passing only the Praxis 1. It also gives you a foretaste of teaching which will either doubly motivate you or totally demotivate you from pursuing a teaching career.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
GregT

Post by GregT »

I have substituted before, but it had gotten to the point where I'd be called maybe 2-3 times a year. Just not worth that one meeting you have to go to during the summertime once a year if you ask me.

I'm thinking about doing what is necessary to get involved in tutoring math, whether it's for money or just for free. I really enjoy doing it and think I would get a lot for the students that I tutored.

Janet, you are right, many of us still do need that extra amount of rest and relaxation. I am almost glad that the information didn't quite sink in because I think my life would have potentially been miserable if I suddenly had a full-time job. Also, I may have had to quit if my pain level began to go up over time, and this program says that you must be committed to teach for 3 years in Louisiana after you receive your degree. Not sure what would have happened had I not been able to continue teaching, if they would have just thought I was gaming the system, etc.

Anyway, thanks to you for your kind words, advice and support.

Greg
Had surgery in Nantes, France in 2001 with Professor Robert. I advocate physical therapy with PTs who specialize in the pelvic floor. I also advocate injections to help diagnose PN and I am in favor of having PN surgery to release the nerve when the diagnoses points to an entrapped nerve.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Wow, sorry, culture shock...I just took a look at Wikipedia and found out I sub for the 5th largest school district in the nation - I could work every school day all year long if I wanted to. Louisiana's largest district is Baton Rouge Parish which is the 93rd largest district in the nation. Somehow it hadn't occurred to me that subbing is such a differnt experience depending on where you live. I think tutoring for a private tutoring service is a fabulous idea for you.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Dear Greg,

As an educator, I want to encourage you to reconsider graduate school. I know it is difficult and it is a shock to the system after being away from an academic environment. I have found that most of my adult (returning) students have quite a struggle. But you have to do two things before you give up on the idea completely: 1) Tell yourself the truth: Your brain is good enough to do this; and 2) Get SUPPORT.

Adult students feel alone and so 'out of it.' And they are far less likely to use the college's resources--tutoring, study groups, writing center--because they tend to feel like they should be able to do it on their own. Heck, that's what they've been doing for years. Get support to help you acclimate. Find a tutor. Go to the rhetoric center. Go to the instructors' office hours. Believe it or not, most professors actually want to see students succeed! :)

Get someone to talk through the material with you in 'everyday language'--the language of the classroom is often specialized (usually beyond necessity), but there is so much commonsense in it when you break it down. Commonsense ideas and reasonable new ideas explained in a commonsensical way are far easier to retain. An assignment I always give students is to explain a complex concept to their very bright 10-year old little brother. If they can relate theory to a child, they've got the concept down pat.

Please don't give up. Our country needs more teachers and good ones who have lived a little outside of the classroom. I hope you will reconsider at some point. Please contact me if you do. I'm happy to offer encouragement and the occasional reality check. :)

Best wishes.
Anal/rectal pain began 12/12 | Pain advanced to entire pelvis by 2/13 |
PF PT 2/13 to 7/13 |Acupuncture 7/13 to present
Pain is CONSTANT, made worse by standing, walking, kneeling
UNBEARABLE with sitting |Cushions mock me
20+ years of fibromyalgia | Interested in not losing my marbles...
My goal: To find creative ways to live and work with PN, while pursuing wellness.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

That is amazing you could sit for that long. There is no way I could sit in a hard chair even with a cushion for 5 min.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Greg you could look at teaching online? I'm a full time teacher currently off work as recovery from decompression surgery but think it may be an avenue I may explore if I can't return full time. I must confess my research on this is in its infancy stage and I'm uk based but could be worth exploring? Good luck whatever you do a positive mental attitude like yours is the key.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

Hi friends,
More strength to those attempting to study or work against heavy odds. I have been working part time from home since 2004 since that is the only way I would have found work. I can't sit for more than 15min at a time, so I alternate between sitting, standing and recumbent postures at work throughout the day.

A major unexpected development of late. Recently, a software company has hired me as their CTO - and I have been permitted to work entirely from home, though I may have to report at their headquarters twice an year. I will be joining shortly and it has been a long time since I worked in a regular full time employment. I am a bit nervous as I haven't done something like this for a long span of time, at the same time I am excited with the new challenges which will definitely take my mind off the disease. Wish me all the best! :D
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”