Study with Dr. Coleman

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
shana

Study with Dr. Coleman

Post by shana »

I've been treating with Dr. Coleman at HSS since the beginning of 2011 for my hips, labral tears in both. I had surgery with him in 2011 and I'm scheduled to have another one this Sep.
Last week I got a call from his office that Dr. Coleman is conducting a study of the relationship of hip pain related to pelvic pain/pudendal pain and if I was interested in participating. They explained I may never benefit from the study but people down the road may benefit and I may be able to help other people in the future even if it won't help me personally. I agreed to participate and am scheduled to go in for an "interview" with Dr. Coleman on July 17
Will keep you all posted
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
Violet M

Re: Study with Dr. Coleman

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for the info, Shana. It's great that this doctor is conducting research and hopefully he will get it published. And it's great there are patients like you who are willing to participate for the sake of others.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
beverley

Post by beverley »

Hi Shana: i am also scheduled to do a post - op study appointment with dr coleman on July 17th --what time is your appointment - mine is at 10:30. I am also getting my hip injected that day as i am having a flare.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
shana

Post by shana »

My appointment is scheduled for 2:30. This is actually not a post-op study as I had surgery back in Jan 2011. For me its more the correlation of hip pain as it relates to pelvic pain. I've been one of his more "problematic" patients as over the last 9 months I've been getting progressively worse and I'm scheduled for bilateral hip surgery in Sep where Dr. Coleman will be repairing the left hip and going back in to the right hip a d cleaning it up and seeing if anything is going on in there. You're probably joining the same study, at least I imagine, but I guess we all got different situations. I hope your surgery gives you full relief and you have a good recovery.
More PT
More PT
shana

Post by shana »

I went for the Study Wed, no bid deal just answered a survey and had an exam. Dr. Coleman that 83% of patients who had labral hip repair and szoas release report that their pelvic symptoms either went away completely or went away 90%. He says I'm still in the running, so I'm going to hold on to that little bit of hope and pray I'm able to join his list of successes
More PT
More PT
alexm

Post by alexm »

Hi Shana,

Thanks for your post. I just had my first hip scope with the number one surgeon in France and would be interested in contacting Dr. Coleman. Do you have an e-mail for him or even for his secretary? I'm feeling good nine days after the surgery. The good thing about my surgeon is that his technique only requires a light, short period traction. Consequently, I at least didn't have to worry about that side of things.

Many thanks in advance,
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
shana

Post by shana »

Al,
I hope you are doing well post surgery. Honestly I'm not sure how traction affects one in surgery. Is it bad? Can it cause further damage? What's your recovery like? My last hip surgery was a 12 week rehab meaning I was on crutches for 2 weeks following 12 weeks 2x a week of PT. In Sep I'm having both hips done and it will be the same. Though since both hips are being operated it will be harder to get around the first 2 weeks. I will be on crutches again but I won't be able to put all my weight on either legs so I'm not sure exactly how that will work.

Here is the info for Dr. Coleman. You can visit their website HSS.edu and search for Straun Coleman. His PA's name is Kira Levykh, her email levyhk@hss.edu and Dr Coleman's email colemans@hss.edu. Let me know what they say.

Be well,
Shana
More PT
More PT
alexm

Post by alexm »

Hi Shana,

Thanks for the information. I don't think that the traction is too worrying, but there is a slight risk of short term neuropathy. Other people on the forum know more about it than I and I'm sure you can find some reliable information on the other fai posts.

I'm doing ok after the fai/labral tear surgery. Good days and bad days. I'm still only a week and a half post op. I've been having some pretty hefty muscle spasms but that has calmed down some. I'm not taking anything other that paracetemol. The nerve pain was great for a week and then up for two days... It ain't no quick fix, that's for sure. I have a second scope planned for the other side later in the year.

How the devil are you going to move around if you get both your hips done at the same time? I'm finding the crutches rather tyring after having only one hip done, but then it is 35 degrees here and I still have to wear the devilishly thick support stockings !

Keep on keeping on
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
shana

Post by shana »

I don't know how toe surgery was done but Dr. Coleman does the surgery arthroscopicly so the pain post surgery was really not bad. I only took pain meds the day of surgery and the day following surgery and that was it. I'm not sure what you are refering to by a support stocking as I did not have one. I know someone who had surgery for a torn labrum where she was cut open and whatnot and it was a huge deal. I had 2 tiny incisions which makes recovery much faster. Yes I'm sure getting around will be difficult the first 2 weeks but I don't really need to go anywhere. The first week I will be home, maybe I will go out for lunch with my husband or mom just because I go crazy staying inside all day. The second week I will have to start PT and then if all goes as planned I will be off crutches. HSS really has a good system with their noninvasive approach to a labral repair which makes recovery south easier and faster than when done the other way.

Feel good
Shana
More PT
More PT
alexm

Post by alexm »

Yes, mine was arthroscopic too. It looks like nothing more than an oversized vampire bite. the stockings are to safeguard against phlebitis, an inflammation of a vein, usually in the legs.
al
x

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”