Need pain relief

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
shana

Need pain relief

Post by shana »

I can't take any prescription pain medications. I've tried over a dozen and I react badly to all. Its not only pain meds I can't handle I am very limited in any kind of medication that enters my body whether orally or through IV or injection as I seem to react to 90% of them. Anyways I am in so much pain recently and it just seems to be getting worse. As I've written in a different post I recently started acupuncture but haven't seen any change. Its not only pudendal pain but hip pain as well. The only position I can stay in for any decent amount of time is lying down. Even when lying down my hips are killing!!! The hip pain is so bad it usually outweighs all the pudendal pain. I'm scheduled for bilateral hip surgery in Sep with Dr. Coleman. I'm also seeing Dr. Conway for an initial appointment in 2 weeks. Anybody have any ideas what I can do in the mean time to help me get through the day.

Thanks
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
Jax87

Re: Need pain relief

Post by Jax87 »

I'm so sorry you are struggling. :( Have you tried any kind of pain patches or topical ointments/treatments? Just a thought that maybe if it was even more localized it might be better. Is Dr. Coleman operating on both of your hips at the same time in September? Is he re-doing the labral tear surgery or something else? Just curious since I didn't hear about what he said at your last appointment. Sometimes even over the counter topicals like Icy/Hot help the nerve pain in my butt. (which is much less now thank God) I hope the acupuncture works for you.

Good luck,
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
shana

Post by shana »

Jackie, thanks for your response.

I never tried over-the-counter pain patches or ointments, any suggestions on what I should try or what I should look for? What exactly is icy/hot? I don't like ice, I never find it helps, it's just more uncomfortable than anything...

I was at acupuncture today and I have to say I really see a difference. I can't believe I'm saying that! When I came to my appointment I told the acupuncturist that so far I haven't seen a change, if anything I've been getting worse. Though I can't necessarily blame it on acupuncture as I've been getting progressively worse over the last few months, but it's definitely been worse. He said I should give it 2 more tries before giving up. Anyways, when I got to my appointment I was in a lot of pain, when I left I did not feel any hip pain and my pelvic/vaginal pain was much less, more like a discomfort I'd give it a 2 or 3 out of 10 when normally it's at 7-9. I spent an hour on my feet cooking dinner and then cleaning up which usually will cause a flair up and I'm still not in any pain. I'm holding my breath at the moment but I'm hoping for the best. He did put needles in different places than he did in the past so maybe, just maybe it's actually working.

About my hip surgery, I'm scheduled Sep 10 for bilateral hip surgery. The right hip, which was done back in 2011, is being cleaned out and if there is tear he will fix it and then the left hip is being repaired for a labral tear. The place I get my acupuncture at is a wellness center and they offer all different kind of treatment. The first visit you have to be seen by the physiatrist and chiropractor before you can see the acupuncturist. The chiropractor took x-rays and showed me on the film how my right hip is overcompensating for the left hip which is probably why I'm in so much more pain on the right than the left. The interesting thing is on a day-to-day basis my right hip and leg causes me a ton of pain but on examination my left hip hurts more, so it kind of makes sense that the right hip is overcompensating.

Thanks again,
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Shana,
So glad to hear the acupuncturist is finding a way to help you. Maybe this will get you through until surgery.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Nessee

Post by Nessee »

The thing is bed rest till doctor recommendation!
The chiropractor took x-rays and showed me on the film how my right hip is overcompensating for the left hip which is probably why I'm in so much more pain on the right than the left.
trumedix

Post by trumedix »

Hi have you tried a TENS machine? Those are a great alternative as a drug free way to relief pain.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”