pain pump trial

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
kathyd

Re: pain pump trial

Post by kathyd »

HI Jen
Im sorry my post didn't go through.. I saw it in the log right after i typed and then it somehow disappeared. Not sure why.
I will pm you to answer all your questions tomorrow. No worries about the questions,...I understand how you are feeling.
I am planning on doing the implant, but don' t have all the details yet.
I will pm you tomorrow to answer all your questions. Hope you are doing ok.
Warm wishes and hugs to you,
Kathy
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

kathyd wrote: That first method I described works as follows while in a hospital (or an out-patient hospital center) the doctor injects an IV into the intrathecal space (l kind of like an epidural given to moms in labor). The IV is attached to a catheter in which he/she can put one drug like Morphine, (one method) or depending on his protocol and your needs, he can add a cocktail of meds. The doc can mix as he pleases and adjusts the dosage until the patient feels relief.. This method for a sounds more pleasing as you can use drugs like marciane ( a numbing agent for instance) along with pain meds.. With it the patient could possibly get quick relief as he used a high level of marcaine .
This is what worked for "Lotta Nerve" though years of other treatments had failed. She and I have spoken and she has been supportive and informative. I know we are all different (how often have we heard that old song!!) but at the same time, her issues are sim
Kathy
Hi,
I am the patient Kathy is referring to.... I thought I would elaborate on my pain pump trial for those of you who are interested...
I was laid face down on a table and my lower back was cleaned and prepped. Under CT-guidance (where the dr was able to watch a screen with an x-ray image of my spine), a needle was carefully guided into the intrathecal space in my lower spine and a catheter was placed so that drugs could be delivered directly into the spinal fluid. A bag filled with the "magic mixture" of medications was connected and hung on a pole.
Bupivacaine (marcaine)
Clonidine (a blood pressure medication with pain-relieving properties)
Morphine
Here is where I blogged about it:
http://scaseyquilts.wordpress.com/2013/ ... s-at-last/

Here is my doctor, Dr. Joshua Prager (UCLA). He has recorded several video talks on chronic pain and advances in treating it. (In fact, originally I went to him for ketamine infusions)
I do feel like Dr. Prager saved my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jLUQpaZKf8

Hope this is helpful!
LottaNerve
Last edited by LottaNerve on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.icandpne.wordpress.com
1995 First symptoms of PNE and IC
8/2010 Dr. Hibner, left TG- failed surgery.
3/2011 & 10/2011 - Dr. Dellon, left dorsal/perineal neurolysis -also failed.
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Tamar,
My friend "Lotta Nerve" told me about yu and I pray that you can find help and and relief soon
I did see Dr Chapman but moved on to another doctor. I can explain offline but he was not encouraging or helpful.
I was given Dr Datta's name somewhere along the way but never looked into him.
I can give you the name of my doc. It is still very early for me I am still struggling a bit so I would prefer to discuss my experience ,after some time goes by and I have time to improve and heal.
I will also will more meaningful info about my doc by then.
I will email you and give you his name. I had a hard time finding a local doc who implants pain pumps..
I was looking since February and finally found someone in May..
I will email you..Wishing you all the best!
Henrypaul87

Post by Henrypaul87 »

hi
Kathy u can use Flexoplex its a joint pain relief product actually from last few days I was sufeering from thios problem and I have now recovered for more you can visit the website.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

LottaNerve and Kathy,

Can you use one doctor to implant the pain pump (say one with a good reputation like LottaNerve's who many not be near your home) and a different doctor to manage it and the refills when you get home?

Thank you,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

That is an excellent question. I have asked Dr. Prager this and he said to tell people to call his office. I guess there is no one answer as each situation is different. (But so far I don't know of anyone personally who has started with Dr. Prager and then gone home to follow up with a different pain doctor.)
http://www.californiapainmedicinecenter.com/overview
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Thank you LottaNerve. You have given me some really useful information these last few weeks.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

I wish I could do more. I wish I knew of a top pain management doctor in your area ...
did you investigate the possibility of ketamine?
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi all
Been offline for awhile>
this reply is to Henripaul87 who mentioned a product called Flexoplex?

Do you have anal rectal pain/sitting pain.? Is your pain a nerve issue?
Did this product help u with this?
My issue is nerve/muscular in origin. made much worse by a nerve surgery in 2011 (not the de-compression surgery)
Sorry for questions ..Just wondered if your pain was similar to mine and others with long term PN issues.
Thx for any info!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Stephanies
Just getting back online after a while and saw your post
I totally agree with 'lotta nerves'comment
I asked the same question in the event that I need to see Dr. P
I will probably give him a call if necessary.
Due to severe pain now it's hard for me to fly in a plane for 5 hrs.
If Dr. P Advises out of town folks to come see him
I hope that he Would be willing to consult with our
doctors after he finds the appropriate meds
as we all come from different parts of the country/world
Good luck in finding what you need!

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”