New, looking for help/support

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
maryflaw

New, looking for help/support

Post by maryflaw »

Hello Ladies,

I was diagnosed with PN a year ago. I have had blocks, botox and physical therapy of which none have been significantly helpful. I do have to say that of that my physical therapist is just outstanding.

The doctor who has been guiding my case has now turned me over to Dr. Popeney, a neuroglist in Houston,Tx. Dr. Popeney believes me
to be a candidate for the PN surgery which would be performed by Dr. Ansell. The surgery would be tg. I am 61 years old and not sure at my
age that I want to have a major surgery with such a long recovery period. I am hoping for some feedback and help.

I am so very glad that I have found this site.
janetm2

Re: New, looking for help/support

Post by janetm2 »

Welcome Mary,
I had surgery at 50 years old (2 years ago) and it is a long road but depending on how bad off you are might decide whether to do it. Also is it actually PNE and so surgery is the only way to help? You could also consider a pain pump or scs stimulator especially if it is just PN not PNE.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Re: New, looking for help/support

Post by Violet M »

Hello Mary,

It's a difficult decision to make. I think it depends on whether your pain levels are high, whether you have any quality of life, and how certain you are of the diagnosis. If your pain levels are high but you are in good health otherwise and expect to live for quite a few years yet it would be difficult to face living with high pain levels for a long time. My recovery from surgery was slow but it was well worth it since I have a decent life back now; however, I can understand why you would not want to go through the recovery period. I wish you all the best in your decision.

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”