CAN SEXUAL ACTIVITY CAUSE PN??-help!!

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
clo236

CAN SEXUAL ACTIVITY CAUSE PN??-help!!

Post by clo236 »

This is extremely embarrassing but I'M SO DESPERATE

I'm a 19 year old female with no previous medical history except for a few disc bulges. About 2 months ago under extreme stress and had lower back pain and cramping in groin similar to period cramps...due to tense muscles perhaps???. A bit TMI but my bf was rubbing my clit really hard and fast and I wasn't very relaxed next minute i buck my hips and get a painful zap almost instead of pleasure. Next day have burning pain in vulva area with stabbing pain. Stupidly press on pubic bone to try to locate pain and get an electric shock type pain almpst running down legs feels pulsating under pubic bone almost feels like a nerves hit pubic bone. In extreme pain everytime I sat down had to run to toilet to pee. Put on 10mg of Amitriptyline by doc which is brill for 10 days until I stupidly strained to go to toilet which caused a massive flare up of symptoms-frequency burning, hesitancy when peeing...constantly feel like I need to pee.

Put on lyrica instead now up to 300mg was working up until recently. Bladder and bowl nearly returned to normal Hypersensity in vulva area especially clitoral sometimes can't wear undies never mind being touched!!! Now am in extreme pain feels like someone is attacking me with a razor down there under pubic bone and hypersensity there plus pins and needles ..pain only relieved with 100mg tramadol!!

Help can somebody recommend some sort of pain relief almost feel sucicidal which sounds a bit dramatic but a few days after this happened my dad passed away very suddenly from cancer. This extreme pain is difficult enough to deal with let alone your dad dying :(

Is this PN--pain isn't getting any better...will I be in pain and like this forever????

Chloe.xx
clo236

Re: CAN SEXUAL ACTIVITY CAUSE PN??-help!!

Post by clo236 »

...went to physio didn't say about sexual activity and she thought it was due to a disc bulge..thinks T11 is out but I doubt its causing this pain.

Chloe xx
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Chloe,
I am very sorry to hear of your pain and losing your Dad. The stress certainly adds to the pain and seems overwhelming. Try to calm a bit and realize there is hope to relieve or at least reduce the pain. The drugs are a great start. We have a listing of PN aware PTs on the home page which is also a good place to start especially if it is muscle realated. Shooting pain is a nerve pain symptom. The home page faqs have other symptoms and info on lifestyle changes that can help. Hang in there. Take care
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Thanks Janet, I'm also mean't to be going to university in a months time in Scotland and am afraid that I won't be able to go if o can't get the pain under control Can't sit in lectures for 2 hrs....panicked but ur right stress certaintly doesn't help!!!. It's so infuriating the lack of knowledge docs know about the pudendal nerve. If I do have this OMG ive never felt pain like it!!!! I live in Northern Ireland..there doesn't seem to be much help available except apart from oral meds...they're clueless everyone presumes its just a uti or an infection... which I'm cleared from.

Might sound silly but would an oral steriod help bring any inflammation down/swelling around the nerve. .the usual NSAID's don't seem strong enough.

chloe xx
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

I am not sure about the oral sreroid but one of the others should have an answer for you and maybe a lead on the closest help for you. Take care and a belated welcome but hope it is not this but another issue.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Hi Chloe

Rough rubbing can caused nerve irritation - for instance vibrators used on the clitoris can cause problems.

Just my guess but you may have Age on your side with this and be able to come off the medication as the nerves heal - i have read that nerves can hurt more as they are healing. It may just take a bit of time.

Dr de Mello listed on this site in Manchester is probably the nearest PN doctor to you.

Dr. Winston F. de Mello, BSc MBBS FRCA FIMCRCSEd FFPMRCA DRCOG DipPain. (GMC 2424789)
is a consultant in Anaesthesia & Pain Medicine at the Pelvic Pain Clinic at the University Hospital in Manchester. He studied with Dr. Labat and follows the protocols of the Nantes Criteria when diagnosing and treating pudendal neuralgia, including administering nerve blocks as part of that treatment.
Address:
Pain Clinic
University Hospital of South Manchester
Manchester M23 9LT
Tel: 0161 2912725
E-mail: wdemello@uhsm.nhs.uk

If you look at the threads about different cushions under Lifestyle changes on here you may be able to find something suitable for university lectures.

I hope that you have someone to talk to if necessary - it is a big emotional thing to lose your dad and this sort of/area of pain is not easy to readily talk to others about.

Rosemary x
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Chloe, yes, sexual activity can cause PN pain but there may be some sort of genetic musculoskeletal predisposition or other pathologies associated with it too because most people don't get PN just from sexual activity.

For temporary measures you can try topical over-the-counter lidocaine or benzocaine or ice. Sounds like you are already trying some of the neuropathic pain meds -- which are a matter of trial and error.

Oral steroids might help but the improvement could be temporary too since steroids aren't something you want to take on a regular basis.

You could try getting a physio evaluation from Bill Taylor in Scotland -- don't know how far he is from you since I live in the US but he has an excellent reputation from what I've heard. Hope he treats women -- that I'm not sure of. If he doesn't, he might know someone who does. But he should be able to tell you if there is some musculoskeletal or pelvic floor issues going on.

**William Taylor
Taylor Physiotherapy Sports Injury Clinic
10 Comely Bank Avenue
EDINBURGH
Edinburgh
Scotland
EH4 1EN
Tel: 0131 332 8698
Email: reception@taylorphysiotherapy.com

You should be able to get better with the right treatments.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Thanks for your help guys..feel a bit more positive that things will get better!!!

Just a thought if the nerves were irritated and I pressed down on my pubic bone and felt an electric shock feeling run down my legs could the nerve eventually become entrapped under the pubic bone??

Is there anything else I could do in the mean time to relax my pelvic floor muscles..hot baths maybe??

Went to my GP today who thinks its pudendal nerve related..seeing a gyno tomorrow don't think there's much I can do but give iit time really.

Sorry last question..I don't plan to become sexually active again for at least 4/5 months..do you think its a bad idea and could make the situation worse/ flare it up.

Thanks..hope your well!!

Chloe xx
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Warm baths do help with pelvic muscle spasms and glad you are feeling a bit calmer.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Hi Chloe

Just wondered how it went with the gynae - were you able to get some reassurance ?

At least your GP is recognising a nerve problem and sounds like you will be referred on accordingly if necessary.

Rosemary x

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”