Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
alexm

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by alexm »

Hi Lernica,

Thanks so much for your post. It is very important for us hipsters. I'm 6 weeks fai/labral tear post op and have the other hip scope planned for later in the year. So I guess my year of rehab will only start in November :)

I also had a peroid of anxiety and depression. Some of it was down to the fact that the cortisone shots ( I had too many, thanks doc!) screwed up my adrenal glands. It took me a long while to get over that and this is deffinitely something to be wary of. I still see do a bit of CBT from time to time, which really helped me.

I wish you all the joy in the world,
Al
x
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
beverley

Post by beverley »

Lernica: you are an inspiration, thank you for posting your journey. Jackie; six months after my surgery, i started doing yoga, playing paddle tennis and I hiked Machu Pichu (only the top -- not as rigorous as it sounds). According to my physical therapist, i overdid it. And they see this a lot. As you know Stacey Futterman rehabs many of Dr Colemans hip patients and she said my kind of flare is not uncommon -- I WISHED I HAD BEEN WARNED. Oh well, coulda, woulda, shouda. Anyway, i was a yoga teacher for many years and i have come to realize that yoga probably contributed to my injury and that there may be things in yoga that i can never do again, like deep psoas stretches and hip extension. If i could do it over, i would have gone to hip rehab PT longer and been very careful with my level of activity. It is hard to give up something you love. Also, according to my docs, sometimes the hip capsule gets injured or doesn't heal properly -- which may be causing my pain - I will know in two weeks. This has been a long journey physically, emotionally and spiritually and i am grateful to all of you who have helped me through this. p.s. i am thinking of botoxing my OI --if anyone had experience with this -- i would like to hear it, Thanks, sending healing to everyone!
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Al, good to hear from you! I am sure that your success will follow mine. I wonder whether you, like me, are finding recovery from the scope to be very long and difficult. Apparently it takes longer to recover from a hip scope than from a full hip replacement! But at least we get to keep our hips!

Linda, congrats on having the hip surgery done and how awesome is it that you have no hip degeneration!!! Your hip is in way better shape than mine! You too are on the road to full recovery! I hope you are getting some support from the folks on the website Hip Chicks Unite; it is a great site for scope patients.

Beverly, I'm sorry to hear about the recent flare. I never did get my OI botoxed because of a concern that putting that hip rotator out of commission would further destabilize my hip:

“Unique in women is the possible concomitant pelvic-floor pain that may occur in association with labral tears, hip impingement, dysplasia, and early and late arthritis. Because these hip disorders are more common in women, a thorough history should include the discussion of pelvic-floor symptoms. The obturator internus is considered one of the primary musculature sources of pelvic-floor pain that often presents with the complaint of deep vaginal pain. Because the obturator internus is a primary hip rotator, a hip-related cause of pelvic pain should be considered in the differential diagnosis when the pain is determined to be originating from this muscle and when other causes have been excluded.”

Hunt D, Clohisy J, Prather H. Acetabular labral tears of the hip in women. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2007 Aug:18(3):497-520, ix-x.

I did, however, get two cortisone injections in each hip; one before surgery and one after. That was the extent of pain interventionist strategies for me. Also, I never did a pudendal nerve injection either because of the negative outcomes posted on this site. Which reminds me: in my list of thank you's above I neglected to mention PudendalHope!! This site was my lifeline and major source of information during my three-year journey to recovery. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this website a success, especially the dedicated moderators. You are the true pioneers in spreading the word about how to treat this condition and helping people overcome it.

Love to all of you.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
shana

Post by shana »

I am happy to hear there are those that have had good outcomes with labral repair surgery. I guess I shouldn't give up just yet. After my right hip was repaired back in 2011 I had hip pain relief pretty fast but about a year later it got worse so much so that as I've said before im having Dr. Coleman go back in. I'm hesitant to get my hopes up that this time around I will have a good outcome but I'm not ruling it out either. Even if it just gives me relief from my hip/groin pain I will be happy. Its hard to be unable to sit or stand for more than a few minutes at a time without being in an extreme amount of pain. I tend to set myself up for worse case scenierio so Thais its anything better I will be happy.

Glad to hear some of you are doing great and to the rest, good luck hope you get the relief you want and need!!

Shana
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Lernica! I'm so glad to hear from you, I was worried that you were doing really poorly and didn't want to post or had some kind of accident or something. I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well! You have been such an inspiration to me. It sounds crazy since we've never met in real life, but I'm not sure if I would have had hip surgery without hearing your story.

I totally understand backing away from the forums. I am no longer on hipchicks right now even though it is a wonderful site because I just need a mental break. I haven't been on here as much either because overall I have been doing better and I need some space. It is great that your anxiety and depression are getting better now. My psychiatrist diagnosed me with PTSD, and I wonder if you might have experienced something similar since you say your mental health symptoms appeared after your physical symptoms started to improve. The mind-body connection is very strong, and I agree that stress makes the pain and muscle issues so much worse! I am working on ways to deal with it.

It is very reassuring to hear that it took a full year for you to see all the results. I am 5 months post-FAI labral tear surgery now. My hip is doing pretty well, not quite full range of motion and occasionally sore, but pretty good. It feels much more stable and I don't think about it as much. My pelvic floor is still tight, but I haven't been working on it enough since I started a new job in June. I will get back to pelvic PT shortly. I can definitely tell a difference in it after orthopedic PT and working on my hip. I can also sit for just about as long as I want to, and wear most pants! Intercourse is sometimes painful, sometimes less painful, it is something I am still figuring out. But that has been a struggle all my life and not just since I started all the other PN symptoms. The miracle is that I'm even having sex regularly for the first time in my life. ;) Thank you Lernica for all your help and support.

Beverly, thank you for the warnings and wisdom about activities. It is disappointing that you may not be able to do some parts of yoga. I am also trying to figure out my limitations and abilities. I struggle with finding comfortable shoes for work since I can't wear heels right now. Even though they should have given you more warnings, at least the PTs say that your flareup is common. Hopefully you will find relief soon and it will just be a bump in the road. I had botox to my pelvic floor before surgery, but i'm not sure which muscles and I haven't done it after surgery. It wasn't much help before surgery.

Alex, I'm sorry to hear about the cortisone shots and your adrenal glands. I had about 4 or so PN nerve blocks last year and suffered some very bad mental health issues. Is it because of the adrenal glands? I would be interested to know more.

Good luck shana and griff! I think that just about covers everyone, but hugs to you all. :)
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

Yeah Lernica its great to hear you're doing well. You were always my go to person on the hip topics and a bit of an inspiration. I don't blame you for avoiding the site. If and when I ever get better I will probably avoid the site too. As helpful as this site has been it doesn't necessarily remind me of good times.

I'm getting my other hip done in a few weeks. Until then I'll continue seeing my PT. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you Karyn. I'm seeing Anne Levesque. She hasn't been able to help yet but she's done lots of skin work and internal stuff and a bit of muscle work. She's going to keep working and including more therapies and hopefully something will work.

Good luck everyone
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
alexm

Post by alexm »

Alex, I'm sorry to hear about the cortisone shots and your adrenal glands. I had about 4 or so PN nerve blocks last year and suffered some very bad mental health issues. Is it because of the adrenal glands? I would be interested to know more.

[/quote]

Hi Jax (?)

I had lots more than four shots (about 12 in a 15 month period). The doctors kept telling me it was ok and then it wansn't. I don't know how common this is or how many shots you need to have before problems set in. I imagine i varies from person to person. My cortisol was down to 3 when I should have had 170 or somethig like that; my adrenal glands were on holiday :!: It wasn't much fun as cortisol is bloody important when it comes to stress management. There is loads of stuff about it on the net. I'm fine now but I did go through a rather dark period.

Much love,
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Alex are you located in the U.S. I find it terrifying that your doctor wasn't aware of the effects of too much cortisone. I wasn't familiar with the issue until a PMR doctor explained it to me. I wonder how many doctors are out there running around willy nilly injecting people with cortisone with no info on the adverse effects.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
alexm

Post by alexm »

No, I'm in France. But it happens all over the place I understand. I imagine that it is quite rare though, so no need to panic. Just keep an eye on the number of shots you have. As I say, in my case it was really excessive and the doctor should have known better. He also denied that it was possible that the shots were responsible for the adrenal problems. The words "covering" and "back" spring to mind.

Anyhow, as I said, I'm better now so let's stay positive, hey :)

Much love
Al
x
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lernica, thanks for reporting back. I am so happy to hear of your recovery and I understand the residual emotions that go along with having PN. Hopefully over time, those will become more and more a thing of the past for you.
beverley wrote: i am thinking of botoxing my OI --if anyone had experience with this -- i would like to hear it, Thanks, sending healing to everyone!
I've known people who had temporary relief from Botox to the OI -- haven't heard of any permanent recoveries but that doesn't mean they don't occur.

Before trying an invasive procedure like Botox you might try a TENS unit. I used one faithfully for the OI 2 hours a day (probably for months) and I partially credit it with the calming down of my OI.....although if I hadn't had the PN released I doubt it would have calmed down. But definitely try a TENS unit and see if it helps. Insurance paid for my TENS unit. I can tell you where I placed the electrodes if your PT can't help you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”