MRI with Dr. Potter- Info needed

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
sgrandy

MRI with Dr. Potter- Info needed

Post by sgrandy »

Hi All,

So, I'm very seriously considering having the 3T MRI done by Dr. Potter in NYC. I would really like to know, in detail, what the heck is going on with my pelvis and whether or not there is any PN involvement and, if so, to what degree. It is really wonderful that a lot of people have this covered by insurance...however, there are people like me who are from out of country (Canada, in my case) who could also benefit from having this done as well. Am I correct in understanding that the cost is about $2,800?? Also, does anyone know if they will negotiate the price for people who don't have insurance that will cover out of country diagnostics like this?

I am willing to save the $2,800 but it would be easier for us if they would come down a bit in price. Our dollar is basically on par or near it so it technically won't be any more expensive for my husband and I than it would be for an uninsured person in USA. We would simply drive to NYC from where we live in Ontario and, likely, stay a night or two just for fun.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Stephanie
AliPasha1

Re: MRI with Dr. Potter- Info needed

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Stephanie,
You can call the radiology department at 212-774-7296 or the main reception at HSS at 212-606-1882.
Best Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
hilary

Post by hilary »

stephanie, like you I am not in the USA but in the UK. I have a feeling that when people were first posting about Hollis Potter (Ali and one or two others) there was a more 'mini scan' that was considered adequate and several hundred dollars less. You could ask about a reduction in cost though. If you have any success do please post. However this is not an outfit like Fillers, a one man band, he comes down in price but I dont think an established hospital like HSS would. I am thinking of having my scan early summer and then a few days holiday in Boston and New England.
Take care, Hilary
Pelvis Stressly

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

hilary wrote:there was a more 'mini scan' that was considered adequate
When I saw her (9 months ago), I had a 'reduced scan' which was half the cost of the full scan ($1400ish). Dr. Potter assured me it would be adequate to get a full picture, but that said, I was also the first person to see her about the pudendal nerve (out of this recent wave anyway...I know of someone who saw her back in '04), and I believe she's more familiar w. all the potential sites of entrapment along the course of the nerve now, so she may no longer feel it's sufficient.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi PS,
You are absolutely right that Dr,Potter was only looking at the Pudendal nerve in the Pudendal Canal,when you had your limited scan.That's why when I met her ,I made sure sure that she looks at the ligaments as well as the ischial spine.Furthermore, I made sure that Dr. Hibner gets in contact with her and made sure that if he could further guide her.I have seen some recent MRI reports from her which are extensivley elaborate and are covering all points of entrapment.
I sincereley believe that you should get another MRI from her and then proceed with the surgical approach which suites you the best in your opinion.

All the best,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
Pelvis Stressly

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

Ali,
No, I'm content w. the the scope of the scan I had w. her. She saw scarring exactly where I thought she would based on the location of my symptoms & site of injury. Given that I don't experience any discomfort 'higher up', and there's no reason the bike seat would cause anything in that area in the first place, I feel I've learned all I can from her.

On another note, I'm currently out of town, exploring a very exciting/interesting non-surgical option. I genuinely believe it may change the whole PNE game. I've been dying to post about it, but have been restraining myself until I complete the entire protocol. I'll discuss it in a new thread in the updates section next week, once I'm back home.
Take care, PS.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

PS,
Best of luck with your endeavor! The suspense is killing me!!!!! :D
Looking forward to hearing back from you ...
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
PaulSa

Post by PaulSa »

Sorry to bring this one back to lfe.....

I was thinking about paying a visit to DR. Potter in NY for an MRI later this year from Canada. In a return email I received they refer to Dr. Potter as a he? I thought Dr. Potter was a female and worked at HSS? They also said the scan would cost $3000-3500, can anyone confirm this information? TIA
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi PaulSa,
Yes, indeed Dr. Hollis Potter is female and she does work at HSS. I really don't know what the out of pocket expense would be, as my inusrance covered it.
I wish you the best and please keep us posted!
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

It's US $ 2,800 -US $3,000 dollars if you don't have insurance.Please don't go for a limited scan.

Thanks,
Ali

Return to “MRI/MRN”