Ganglion Impar Injections

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
shana

Ganglion Impar Injections

Post by shana »

I know people have posted about Ganglion Impar Injections in the past, I was wondering if I can get more info. I saw Dr. Diwan today, very nice person, he wants to do a ganglion impar injection and take it from there. I'm scheduled to have it done this Thu, Aug 22. He said I'll be under anesthesia during the entire procedure, which is a good thing I guess as the nerve blocks are so awfully painful!!

I'm wondering what people's experience were in regard to pain relief? Did it help? How long? Did it get worse?

Thanks,
Shana
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
Violet M

Re: Ganglion Impar Injections

Post by Violet M »

Shana, I haven't had one myself but from reports on the forum it's hard to predict whether it will help you. I know one gal who had such good results (for coccyx pain) that she went on to have the procedure done with phenol and last we heard from her husband she was doing great. That was a few years back on the old forum but they've disappeared into PNE forum history.

Good luck with the procedure. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
shana

Post by shana »

I had the injection almost a week ago now. I'm happy to report my coccyx and buttock pain has gone down from a 10 to a 4. Sitting the past few days has been much more tolerated. It didn't help with the other areas that's been giving me problems, anus, vulva, vagina, pelvic floor, etc. but to have some relief in any area is wonderful!

Shana
More PT
More PT
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

I had some relief which lasted only about 1 week, which is what my doctor had predicted. I hope yours continues to help beyond that.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Grace

Post by Grace »

I just had one done today. I feel better, but not perfect. I AM SO THANKFUL for a little relief. Even if it only lasts the afternoon, I'm going to enjoy it to the MAX. ;)

Shana, did you try it? How did it work for you.

Cheers :)
Anal/rectal pain began 12/12 | Pain advanced to entire pelvis by 2/13 |
PF PT 2/13 to 7/13 |Acupuncture 7/13 to present
Pain is CONSTANT, made worse by standing, walking, kneeling
UNBEARABLE with sitting |Cushions mock me
20+ years of fibromyalgia | Interested in not losing my marbles...
My goal: To find creative ways to live and work with PN, while pursuing wellness.
shana

Post by shana »

Grace, yes, it did give me relief, not 100% relief but I would venture to say 50% relief, I was able to sit for longer periods of time without being in excrutiating pain, so to me, and Dr. Diwan, it's a success. I'm scheduled to have another one the first week in October, depending how that goes I may then have pulsed radiofreequency nerve ablation into the coccyx where the impar injection was to stop the nerve pain for longer than a few weeks, usually it lasts over a year if it's a success.

Wishing you luck,
Shana
More PT
More PT
Grace

Post by Grace »

For the sake of follow up:

Happy pelvis didn't last the night. Ah, well. A tiny bit of pain relief was glorious while it lasted. It was centrally in the perineum that I got the brief relief.

When I returned for a second injection, the doctor said it was pointless given the brevity and limited scope of relief.
Anal/rectal pain began 12/12 | Pain advanced to entire pelvis by 2/13 |
PF PT 2/13 to 7/13 |Acupuncture 7/13 to present
Pain is CONSTANT, made worse by standing, walking, kneeling
UNBEARABLE with sitting |Cushions mock me
20+ years of fibromyalgia | Interested in not losing my marbles...
My goal: To find creative ways to live and work with PN, while pursuing wellness.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”