Going to have a nerve block

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
momof3bigguys

Going to have a nerve block

Post by momof3bigguys »

i cant get in till jan.:( wondering how they work?? will it help?? as SITTING IS OUT OF THE QUESTION!! it sends me thru the roof im almost in tears the burning pain is undescriable!!! my entire back side burns,the inner and outter thighs burn like FIRE!! i have had this for almost 1 yr! went thru all of the drs and finally came up with PN...guess im lucky,i have read where it takes some ppl a LONG time for even a dianosis..just curious how the nerve blocks work?? and if it doesnt whats the next corse of action to find some relif?? one dr said they can do surgery..;( im so tired of being in pain!! :(
Violet M

Re: Going to have a nerve block

Post by Violet M »

I understand -- pain can be exhausting and it makes you feel like you are in prison when you can't escape it.

Nerve blocks may give some temporary relief but honestly, after reading the forums for 9 years I would conclude that most people do not get permanent relief from nerve blocks. There have been a few people who posted that nerve blocks brought significant long-term relief but that is not the norm. Have you tried physical therapy yet? PNE surgery is an option as a last resort but you want to be very sure of your diagnosis first.

The nerve block typically contains an anesthetic like marcaine that temporarily numbs the PN distribution area for several hours and can help in determining your diagnosis. Nerves blocks often contain a steroid also which usually kicks in several days later. Steroids have anti-inflammatory properties and the theory is that they will decrease the inflammation in the nerve and surrounding area so that the nerve can glide more easily. If you've got a nerve entrapped or compressed by ligaments or encased in fascia it won't necessarily help though.

Hope your nerve block goes well. ;)

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”