Midazolam in a block?

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Skylar

Midazolam in a block?

Post by Skylar »

This week I am having my first nerve block done by an experienced pain anesthesiologist using ultrasound guidance. I’m allergic to fentanyl so they are going to be using midazolam and dexamethsone, as well as a local anesthetic I believe. I trust the abilities of the doctor but am cautious about the ingredients. Has anyone experienced a block using midazolam, or have any comments about it?

It would be helpful if there was more published research concerning pudendal block results but then again that's wishful thinking for all things pudendally.
Unilateral pain began in 2009 from fall trauma.
Skylar

Re: Midazolam in a block?

Post by Skylar »

The nerve block procedure went very well. The steroid/anesthetic injection site was the ischial spine between the sacrotuberous and sacrospinous ligaments. The midazolam, used as an alternative to the fentanyl pain medication, was administered separately by intravenous.

My pain improved and I lost my protective limp immediately following the block but two days later “normal” came back like a load of bricks. It was nice while the magic spell lasted. Since I did experience a few days of significantly reduced pain I guess that means the block can be considered a success. Supposedly the steroid can still have some positive effects yet so let’s see what happens over the next week.

Ever since the block wore off my pain has flared considerably, but these post-block-flares seem common so I expect things will settle back down again. While I approached the procedure realistically……I really, really, really wanted to be the one whose pain improved for a longer period of time. The search continues…..
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Skylar,

Sounds like your anesthesiologist did a good job and it's great you were able to have it done with ultrasound no radiation. Would you mind posting which doc did your block?

Sorry the block was not a permanent answer for you and I hope your flare-up will calm down shortly. I will be interested to hear how things go for you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Skylar

Post by Skylar »

The block was done in Toronto by Dr. Philip Peng.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”