Exercises after surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Barb

Exercises after surgery

Post by Barb »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of some gentle exercises to do after TG surgery. I have been doing gliding exercises, but I would like to progress to other ones. It has been about 10 weeks since my surgery. I am doing ok. I still have a lot of tenderness and soreness in the incision and I am still very numb down the back of my leg. I am definitely on the roller coaster of good one day and bad the next, but I actually sat without a cushion on Thanksgiving. I haven't been able to since, but I see progress.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful holiday season with family and friends......and less pain in 2014 :)

Thanks!
Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
nyt

Re: Exercises after surgery

Post by nyt »

Be very, very careful about exercising. Do you see a PT? Did you ask the doctor that did the surgery how he wants you to add exercises?

Walking, if it doesn't increase pain. The pool is a great place to water walk or gently kicking. Water is one of the best places to exercise if you have a local pool close by such as the YMCA or a school. If you do find a pool absolutely no frog kicks.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi nyt,

I have not started back with my PT. I went for two years before the surgery....so I have used all the insurance benefits for the year. I was self pay for several months before the surgery, so I think I will have to wait until next year to start again.

Prof Aszmann did my surgery, but I haven't been able to reach him by email to ask some post-op questions. I see your surgery was done by Dr. Hibner. How long did you have the pain at the incision site and numbness down the leg? That is what is bothering me right now. Do you think I could use a foam roller on my thighs and the hamstring......just to keep the muscles softer. I have done it on the other leg, and there are so many knots in the muscles. What were Dr. Hibner's recommendations on when to start being more active? Also, his thoughts on PT, acupuncture, etc.

I did some water walking, but I overdid it and my knee that has a torn miniscus really let me know it. We go to Florida in January, so I will be able to live in a pool. That will help.

How are you since your surgery? Are you able to sit without pain. This really is such a long journey for all of us. It is also so hard for others to understand since we all look very normal.. Oh well, hopefully the new year will be better for all.

Thanks for your help.

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Barb,
If you search on postop protocol you will find one of the doctor's guidance for post op. Best of luck and glad you can get to a pool soon.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Janet,
I found it. Thanks. That helps. I guess the guidelines vary from doctor to doctor, but it gives me something to go on.

Barb
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

Hello Barb,

Once I read Dr. Ansell article that was talking about walking as a good exercise. I would still start slowly. And wait for PT to do more. We do not know anatomy well enough to do things right. It is important that someone educated in such matter supervised you.

With love and wish of speedy recovery,

Helen
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Barb, I am glad you were able to find some of the doctors post-op guidelines. Dr. Hibner said do not overdue stretching the surgical leg. He has had several patients push too much stretching and regressed big time. Do not be too anxious to push. Dr. Hibner's biggest advice is to listen to your own body as we are all different, if something is painful don't do it, take things slowly and slowly increase what you can do so that you don't flare.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks nyt. I have been very careful not to stretch the surgical side. It is VERY hard to take things slowly, but I am trying to listen to my body and take my cues from that. My husband is on a big health kick and I just have to WATCH him go up and down the basement steps 50 times for his cardio work out, lift weights and stretch like mad. :( He is 7 years older than me and I use to be so flexible and in such good shape.......I could bend over and put my hands flat on the floor without bending my knees, but that became a problem.....I found out I was hypermobile and the SI joint has been a problem since my first surgery...but I digress....Thanks, again for your advice.

Thanks Helen for your encouragement. I have been out and walking a lot (malls, etc.) so THAT I can do. Sometimes it feels like I am turning the corner and I feel so good, but I guess I do too much and get slammed the next day. I will start PT early next year. Hopefully, that will help.

Happy Holidays to all!
Barb
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Barb, I didn't start walking regularly until 5 months after surgery and then I started by slowly adding 5 minutes on. Didn't start PT until almost a year post-op. I guess I got burned by exercise once (it caused my PNE) so I took it very slowly and easily which was hard because I am an exercise freak too. :lol: I think it is really important to let the nerve heal before doing too much.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks Violet.....
I tried to message you a couple of days ago, but I guess it didn't go through. I am having a hard time and I was writing to get your advice. My surgery was 11 weeks ago and I am having that increase in pain that everyone seems to go through. I remember you saying you second guessed your surgery. When did you start to turn the corner and feel better? How did you get through the tough time? I was actually feeling pretty good....but not now. I went to my granddaughter's play today and just about died because I sat for an hour. I am really suffering tonight.

It is so hard this time of year when you feel like you really can't participate. I guess I am having a pity party tonight...... :( I'm sure I will feel different tomorrow, but it seems the sitting pain has increased and is pretty scary.

Thanks for your help.

Barb

Return to “SURGERY”