Exercises after surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
janetm2

Re: Exercises after surgery

Post by janetm2 »

Barb,
Sorry you are struggling and the holidays are upon us. I am 2.5 years post op TG ss/st left side and "down for the count" today with bot my chronic foot pain and residual PN. Do you have a cushion you can use for sitting and try to alternate with standing. That was a big help for me. I actually got a timer to go off every 15 min once I started sitting to make sure I did not sit for too long at a stretch. This was after 3 months for me and I only worked 2 hr days. We are all different but you just need to pull back and realize in the end it will be worth it to have this behind you. I truly know how hard it is because I lost the last three years of my brother's life only seeing him once a few months before he dieed when I finally thought I could make the flight. I have to cherish the times before when I did spend time and was able to see him before PNE came on. I now still have his family and see them when I can. I am now able to do some holiday baking but have scaled back. Just pick one thing that you think you can manage without hurting yourself and let it represent this year by next year you can and more and before you know it you will have your favorite things. There is hope and better days ahead for you. Take Care,
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks Janet. Your words were much needed. Thanks for your wisdom. It is so hard for those of us who are healing from this surgery. I know it is early. I guess I was hoping I could just jump off the operating table and get back to life :)

I am SO sorry you lost your brother. I know you cherish those last few months with him. PNE sure robs people of so much of their lives. I still have a hard time acknowledging that I have this condition. ( Talk about denial.....I just flew half way around the world for the surgery) . It has been so much easier because of people like you that help when we are struggling.

I do have cushions.....lots, actually. I sat on one of my cushions yesterday, but it really only helps for a little while. My problem is the incision area and down the back of my leg is still so sore and numb. I also had the ischial problem before the surgery and that is still so sore. He injected the ischial tuberosity because in addition to the entrapment, I had tendonitis at the attachment of the hamstring to the ischial. I am sure that was brought on by the PNE.

I have emailed Prof. Aszmann many times since the end of Oct., but haven't heard back. His wife was having a baby the end of Oct., so I am sure that is part of the reason. I respect the Austrians so much. They have their priorities in the right place. Family seems to be the most important thing. I guess I just need reassurance that everything I am feeling is the normal healing process.

Thanks again for your support. I hope your foot pain gets better. I have inherited foot problems.....thanks to my mother and grandmother. However, when I look at my feet, they look so much like theirs, that I remember them and smile.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season with your family!

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Barb,
It really is hard to accept but you are getting there. I have a quiet holiday with my hubby and look forward to the new year when I will see other family. Have a nice holiday and just lie down on the sofa at whomever's house and just let them know it is a different and long recovery for nerves.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Barb,

I'm sorry things are so tough for you right now. I'm trying to remember for sure when I started to turn the corner. I think the new post-op pain started to subside 5 or 6 months post-op but wasn't really gone for awhile after that and I had to continue on the narcotics for 9 months after surgery. Really the alternating hot/cold sitz baths that I've described in other places on the forum helped keep me from going insane but also I took narcotics in the evening so that I could sort of be human when my family was at home and so I could sleep at night as well. If you are having incision pain I wonder if some cold laser therapy would help. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard it helps incision pain.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks Violet. I have tried the hot/cold water with my showers.....I let the water just beat down on the incision and the area around it. It does seem to help.

Most of my pain is still the gluteal fold area. I am trying to take it easy, but I think I overdid it the past few days and I am really suffering now.....just laid on the couch all day. :(

I do see some improvement of the nerve pain, but I have a long road to recovery. Still optimistic. Gotta be :)

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing

Return to “SURGERY”