pain during the holidays

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
knitwit

pain during the holidays

Post by knitwit »

After 9 years of horrific rectal pain you would think I could handle a little entertaining - but no. I got myself all ready took my meds on time, did all my necessaries ( if you know what I mean) and BAM! Here. Comes the pain flare. I'm on ice the whole time my guests are here - I feel miserable. I try to smile and be thankful I am not worse. But, is it just me or does this happen to others? I know there are stressors involved but, oh man, it was to late to cancel and if I take too many mesds am a zombie. I hope.to start some new therapies in January, I just hope it can help. Sorry. About the rant, but the tears of pain today really caught me off.guard..... Josie
knitting keeps me sane!
janetm2

Re: pain during the holidays

Post by janetm2 »

Josie,
I do feel for you I get upset with the roller coaster of pain myself. I think I take it sloe and rest in between things like putting up some decorations the other day then bam down for the count the next day. Both my chronic foot pain and pelvic nerve pain was up. So sorry you could not enjoy your gathering. Tonight is trimming the tree and hoping it is less damaging! We alao have the general added stress this time of year that tends to exacerbate our pains. I hope you have less pain and can enjoy another day of the season. I am probably better off with the broken oven keeping me from baking but when I got a chance to do a bit then found the oven was not hot and had to dig the cookies out of the mini muffin pan and through them away that was tough. Wasted a rare moment of energy. At least it was not people coming for dinner like tukey, etc! Take care
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Oh Josie,
I am so with you on this pain thing and so sorry you are having it..
I always choose activity (socializing and being with people if at all possible. Usually Im glad I did it and do feel better,as getting my mind off things is key. But its hard when you're the host and you have be on your feet a lot. My hubby also maintains that I always stress a bit when we're hosting a gathering, and my muscles in the pain areas tighten ...so more pain! I usually have more pain on holidays, altho thankfully this year my B-day a month ago--- mypain went down and was able to perch on bar stool "seat" and eat at restaurant...Same for hubbys b'day a few days later. I was so thankful.
The good thing about hosting at home is you can excuse yourself to lie down for a break ....Have had to do that on many occasions and the folks are well occupied and don't notice.
Also if you have a good friend- relative who understands, you can lie down at their house.
I may have to do that today at my brother's Christmas gathering.
My pain is up for the past few days (for various possible reasons) and hoping to get through this social event ok.
But after a few years of being semi- housebound... I find that my morale goes way up again when I out and about, or entertain. so its worth it to me.
I wish you lower pain levels and fun relaxed times during the holidays. I hope you can find a way to relax as that will hlep and I hope you get some pampering!
Merry Christmas to you and here's to a new year of feeling better!! I will keep you in my prayers
Take care!
Kathy
knitwit

Post by knitwit »

Dear Janet and Kathy - thank you for your responses......(Kathy I did PM you) I survived the holiday parties....We had one set of guests here, and I did exactly as you suggested and excused myself due to my pain, and went to lie down... but, oh, it makes me feel awful when I have to do that. They were very understanding though, and know of my pain. I think when you have made new friends, as we have new neighbors, they don't know what to make of it :roll: I did take extra dilaudid to get through this mess, and now of course - constipation! So, one extra pill produces consequences on the other end! I am hoping 2014 brings new therapies into my life, as well as others on this board - as we've all been here for way too long! I thank God for each and every ear that will listen, every ounce of advice, and every friend I have made here....I am truly blessed.....Happy New Year my dearest friends! Love Josie
knitting keeps me sane!
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Josie,
So glad to hear you enjoyed the parties and took the break to help get through. At least we can partake and not always be on the sidelines. Best to you and all for 2014!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Josie and Janet
Josie, I echo Janet in that Im so glad you got through it. I hate to leave the group to lie down too.
But it will help you get through the evening. And it makes you feel great to be able to do things socially...(participating seems to be the best medicine)
I always hate to miss anything, but there are times when my anus area throbs so much I must get off my feet now...I tend to put it off until I have to when people are over,
and that's when my pain goes up.
I went to my brother's house yesterday..his wife's family was there too; they know very little about my ailment (most of my family doesn't understand how to explain it) so folks just know I have a pain condition..
I felt like I had to try to sit at dinner (It would look so strange to stand up at the table!) so I put my feet under one side of my butt. But it still brings on bad pain...By after dinner I needed a pain suppository (dilaudid also) So I went upstairs and rested for a couple min. I didn't want to miss seeing other family who'd just arrived or miss dessert, so I only laid down for 5 min (at home it's much longer. I re-joined the group but the pain was bad, probably also due to the last couple days of Christmas rush, last minute items and lots of wrapping!
Anyway like Janet says Im thankful to be participating and keeping the faith for less pain soon. Today was an easier day.But BTW the way Josie I can relate to the constipation issue too as you probably saw in my many posts! I got your PM and will write back.
I am also thankful for great folks like you guys to confide in! Thx so much for listening.
I wish you all a happy new year with all good things to come!
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Kathy,
Good to hear you got some family time in. It really is important. Sorry that they are less aware of the struggles. My family seems to understand possibly with more in medical areas and mr brother unfortunately joined the chronic pain group the last years of his life. My sister in law's family even understand some and my sister in law's dog started learning to share the sofa with me so I can lie down with knees bent and watch movies and socialize. Of course if I get up he tries to take over the sofa! I am very lucky to have their support and more falls your and Josie's way. Maybe in time. I am relaxing myself this afternoon. Good luck in the new year.
Janet
Fawn Reeves

Post by Fawn Reeves »

It is so good to see others that go through the exact same thing. I am crying in kind of a relief. I can't figure out this site but this reply was much easier than th one I did on the introduction. thank you for being here. Fawn
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Welcome Fawn,
I am glad you found this site and that it helped you to feel a bit better. The folks here are very understanding and responsive. Many are doing much better which is very encouraging..
I know sometimes it can be hard to figure out how to post correctly etc on the this site..I have lost several posts in the past, so I try to not to make them too long (tho I am much too wordy in my writing!)I think the system times out if you are offline for a bit, and you lose the post. But you can save the draft if you want.
My teenager showed me some of the options I hadn't noticed!
After you hit "submit" it seems to take a couple seconds to go through. At least on my computer
I hope that you are doing okay this holiday season.
Take care,
Kathy
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Janet
Thx for the good wishes!
Im glad you had a nice day and were able to relax. My kids and hubby always tell me not to worry about what others think. I laid across my hubby's lap on my brothers sofa, sofa,
so that was a bit more comfortable..
I have bladder issues too, and try to avoid acidic foods. My system is unpredictable.
W hen we arrived at my sis in laws house I found out that dinner was Lasagna (only) with salad. LOTS of tomato sauce.
Yikes. I prayed and ate it .... It seemed to work out okay ...Thank God!
It is wonderful that your relatives are so supportive! I think anyone who has experienced something "chronic" in their lives, is much more empathetic than those who have not.
I too am thankful for those folks in my life who have been understanding and supportive.
Happy New Year to you!
Kathy

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”