Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Griff522

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Griff522 »

Dr Struan Coleman at HSS. If you can go see him I would highly recommend it.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Thank you, I am seriously considering it. I will start calling.
Pain starting at ischial tuberosity 2013 (minor hamstring tendon tear); labral tear July 2013, referred pain to groin/bladder. Sept. 24th '13, tore my abdominal muscles and adductors at the pelvis; pain and spasms so bad I couldn't stand, walk, or go to the bathroom; misdiagnosed until Jan. 27th 14; double procedure 4/3/14, hip arthroscopy & muscle repair. One adductor still driving me nuts. Slowly working my way back to health & working to educate more about pelvic injuries/pathologies.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Griff522 wrote:Dr Struan Coleman at HSS. If you can go see him I would highly recommend it.
Thank you so much! I am about to fax records to his office now. He'll look at them tomorrow!
Pain starting at ischial tuberosity 2013 (minor hamstring tendon tear); labral tear July 2013, referred pain to groin/bladder. Sept. 24th '13, tore my abdominal muscles and adductors at the pelvis; pain and spasms so bad I couldn't stand, walk, or go to the bathroom; misdiagnosed until Jan. 27th 14; double procedure 4/3/14, hip arthroscopy & muscle repair. One adductor still driving me nuts. Slowly working my way back to health & working to educate more about pelvic injuries/pathologies.
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

You're welcome! You will like him a lot. He GETS it!
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Antonia,
Gioog luck and hope this doctor can and will help you!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Antonia wrote: He said that there was too much pain in my pelvis to be coming from a labral tear alone
Antonia,

I got this response from various doctors too. With chronic pain our nerves become sensitized and do feel more pain than other people do. This is explained well in the link provided in another thread: http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =25&t=5679

I hope your consult with Dr. Coleman goes well. Let us know!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

I thought that link was very interesting. Unfortunately for me, this reaction started with a medication reaction which threw me into this state. Last time it happened I had no pelvic pain or hip injury but was like this for 9 months. My PT says she sees it frequently in patients who've gone off of any meds like neurontin, valium, even amitriptyline. My doctor said, and it seems clear from the research I've done, that my nervous system is trying to up-regulate still from being down-regulated by the medication for a few months and that it's really hard to stop with a pain trigger being there. We're working on getting it calmed down naturally. This can obviously happen from chronic pain alone, as the link states, so I'm unfortunately dealing with both issues simultaneously and can't take any medications.

I worry that Dr. Coleman will see the extent of the muscle involvement and sensitivity and not want to treat me. The extent of the pain response. Has anyone else here successfully down-regulated this response?
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Me!!!! But it takes time.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Antonia wrote:

I worry that Dr. Coleman will see the extent of the muscle involvement and sensitivity and not want to treat me.
Here's a tip: If you talk to Dr. Coleman, focus on your hip ("Doc, my hip is killing me! Please help!"). Do NOT dwell on your other muscular/pelvic floor/PN issues. In my consultations with hip surgeons I rarely mentioned my other issues. It just confuses them. Orthopaedic doctors are carpenters, not muscle experts, particularly not the pelvic floor muscles!
beverley

Post by beverley »

My experience with Dr Coleman is that he will only focus on your hip -- he won't make any promises about your pelvic pain going away post surgery. And he will only operate if he feels you are a candidate for surgery. Since he deals with so many pelvic pain patients he has heard it all! You can't get an appointment with him until he sees your MRI.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”