London or Bristol?

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Jack

London or Bristol?

Post by Jack »

Hi all

Where would you go? who is best? who has the best knowledge?
chrissy

Re: London or Bristol?

Post by chrissy »

If you want to consider surgery Bristol. I go to London and if this nerve block is not going to work I will have to move to Bristol.
kassie

Post by kassie »

Hi Jack

In the end it comes down to different schools - Bristol are trained under Prof. Robert in France , while London do not use the Nantes criteria.

I saw Dr. Baranowski privately in London, as his NHS waiting list is 9 months (cost £450). He was unsure about whether I had PNE and caused me tremendous pain due to a pelvic examination and then suggested nerve blocks anyway. These cost £1,000 for one side and you are put under sedation. Obviously, I did not go down this route. On a personal level, i found him abrupt and cold - he did not explain anything to me. I left more confused than before.

6 months later i saw Dr. Greensdlade in Bristol, who did not even need to give me a pelvic exam. He used the Nantes criteria to diagnose me with PNE, explained everything to me and my partner with the most kind and caring manner, even though we bombarded him with questions. During the same visit he gave me an ultrasound-guided nerve block (which hurt like a motherf***r i will admit) and then as the anaesthetic kicked in, he gave us a restaurant suggestion - i sat on a wooden chair for the first time and had a lovely italian meal. The visit plus the nerve block cost £300 total. He then referred me on to Mr. Wong and I had my surgery a month later. I am only 5 weeks post-op so I cannot tell you yet how I'm doing. But i found him caring and empathetic.

Good luck ! We are all here for you :)

Kassie
molly

Post by molly »

Hi,

As a fellow Brit I would second that. having been to both places I would definitely choose Bristol. I too found Dr B to be lacking in any kind of compassion and was rushed through my consultation.

I wish we heard of more Brits who have had surgery in Bristol.

Kind regards Molly
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

Is Dr greenslade of the opinion that if you fit nantes criteria you should have surgery? The thing about surgery for me is that I have an unstable pelvis and as they cut the ligaments it could get worse which in turn aggregates and even causes other pelvic issues.
How are you guys contacting Dr G? I can't get hold of him or a call back.
I hear Dr B in London has a high success rate for men with this problem.
molly

Post by molly »

Hi,

I think Dr G does feel decompression is the best option for pudendal entrapment.

I don,t know what you are referring to when you say Dr B has a good record with men with this problem, are you still referring to pne, in which case I have no idea what else he offers other than diagnostic injections and pain management.

Molly
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

Yeah pretty much and he offered me pulsed radiofrequency neuromodulation to scramble the nerve signal.
Have you got a direct contact number for Dr greenslade? Or how did you contact him initially was it via GP referral?
molly

Post by molly »

I had radio frequency with Dr B. It gave me about two months of reduced pain maybe 25 to 30 per cent before it went back to normal levels.

I saw Dr G from a GP referral, his secretary for his private practise is a very difficult unhelpful person to get hold of.

Regards Molly
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

Thanks
kassie

Post by kassie »

Hi molly and chrissy

Dr. G's secretary, Catherine, is a lovely pain nurse. I was made aware of the fact that she is suffering serious medical problems at the moment so I would advise compassion towards her.
To arrange an appointment call 07974412933 or e-mail bristolpainclinic@gmail.com

good luck :)

Return to “UK & IRELAND”