Great Techniques and Tips that allowed me to Overcome PNE!!

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
rvandenh

Great Techniques and Tips that allowed me to Overcome PNE!!

Post by rvandenh »

Hi Guys,

I just recently went to a PT Pelvic Support Clinic in Ottawa, Canada as I was suffering from PNE. I was suffering from severe stabbing pains in the perineum, and genitalia areas for over a year. Those areas also became very numb, and I began to have impotency issues with my gf. The practitioner there taught me a certain technique how to relax my pelvic floor muscles, and essentially "drop the pelvic floor" allowing the pudendal nerve to be free'd.

The technique is essentially tightening the rectum area only (not buttocks), and releasing/relaxing the muscles upon exhaling. This does take a bit of practice to just squeeze the center of the rectum area only where all your pelvic muscles are located and then letting go and pushing out to relax them. You must do this very often during the day (200 + times). I have found that in two days my symptoms have quickly disappeared, and I have regained feeling in that area as well as the ability to get an erection.

I have another appointment booked with the same practicioner soon, and she will teach me more techniques to relax those pelvic floor muscles which can play a large part in compressing the pudendal nerve. I will let everyone know what else I find out. I strongly recommend practicing this exercise above, and if anyone has any questions with regards to this feel free to respond to this forum.

Other things that have helped me with PNE is taking a small does of amitriplyine 30 mg (nerve stabilizer), as well as do certain stretches at night (side leg raises, supine leg raises, touching your toes, and the sumo pose stretch. Another big thing which has helped me was using a DISCREET donut cusion (can be found online biolectrix) at work, taking pressure off the perineum area. I understand donut cushions can be embarassing, however there are discreet donut cushion out there and your co-workers will never notice it is one. I strongly recommend recommend these type of donut cushions for those who have sit for prolonged periods during the day.

I also tried undergoing shock wave therapy but it had very little effect on improving my symptoms. The pudendal nerve is located deep in the pelvis and I believe these shock wave therapies are unable to effectively reach that area.

I write this is in the aim of helping others with this very scary issue. I'm a 26 year old male, and the experience of having severe pains and not being able to have sex became a nightmare. I had it for over 8 months, and just after practicing the technique described above has quickly given me much hope!! I've done extensive research on this subject, if anyone as anyone questions please let me know.

Wish you all the best,

Robb
Positivepoppy

Re: Great Techniques and Tips that allowed me to Overcome PN

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi rob
Thank you for sharing this technique. I had pudendal nerve surgery 7 weeks ago so welcome any advice and tips to aid recovery. Hope you are doing well and pain more manageable?
Thanks
rvandenh

Post by rvandenh »

No problem, I just started doing this last thursday (four days ago) and it has helped tremendously. I have honestly yet to have any pain/discomfort since and I've regained blood flow in that area. If you need added help with this technique pm me and I can be more descrpitive. I know it seems excessive to do 200+ times a time, but it is very doable. It can be done in any position (sitting/standing, etc) and you can set reminders or instances when to do it (if you're driving every light, if you're working every 15 min, if you're watching TV every commericial, etc). It only takes 1-2 seconds and is very easy to do. I also, having a bath every other day and doing the exercise in the bath also helps. I also gently massage that area while bathing too. Learning how to relax these pelvic muscles is very important, which I learned through the practitioner are really all in one area right under the bladder. The practitioner said she will be training me on more techniques to relax those muscles, so I'll post another forum when I find out.

Hope this helps at least,

Robb
rvandenh

Post by rvandenh »

Are you taking any medication for your pain management? I believe the drugs such as amitriptyline or gabapentin or suppose to assist in stabilizing/repairing the nerve.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

I am taking 600 mgs pregablin and 300 tramadol on a daily basis. I also manage a daily walk and even had a gentle swim using a float last week. Determined to recover from this awful condition and be back break dancing soon!!! Are you in recovery, how is the pain?
rvandenh

Post by rvandenh »

Oh ok, no I never went through the surgery route. I've also been doing weekly trip to the gym to use the swimming pool though. So far after the PT exercises and lifestyle changes I have been feeling much better.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

What lifestyle changes did you make? What caused such pain ? Keep me posted on tips and advice if possible. I was a gym fanatic before this now grateful if I manage daily walk!!! Rubbish
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

That is good to hear you are getting results from PT so quickly. I've been seeing a PT for months and have had some modest improvements (not sure if it is PT related) but nothing compared to what you have. But you definitely feel as though its the exercises and not the meds helping?
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
rvandenh

Post by rvandenh »

It's definitely the exercises, I've been on meds for a while now and I didn't see much improvement except for the reduction of pain with them.
rvandenh

Post by rvandenh »

The lifestyle changes I had to make was pretty much stop running and work out exercises such as sit ups. Repeated hip flexion is not good for the pudendal nerve. I also started using a donut cushion at work, and have become more aware of how I am sitting even if I don't have a donut cushion (trying not to put too much pressure on that perineum area). I also try to take more supplements (Vitamins C, D, B) as well as omega 3 fish oils - they are suppose to have a calming effect on the nervous system.

It's hard to say what caused the pain, I was doing a lot of running/sit ups when working out and I was working at a job where I was doing heavy lifting. The pain came and went out of the blue, and could have either been from standing but usually when I was sitting down (especially when I was driving). The the pain was like a sharp stabbing pain in the perineum, which also moved down the shaft of the penis at times to the genitals. The pain also varied, sometimes it was a little prick others it felt like an entire knife was being dug in. Thankfully, it did not last long.

I've learned that if you are doing workout do those that have minimal impact on the pelvic area or those that could put pressure on the perineum. Exercises that can worsen the pudendal nerve are sits up, running, CYCLING!!, squats and leg press work outs.

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”