Post surgery update

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
stephanies

Re: Post surgery update

Post by stephanies »

Barb,

Happy to hear youare having less nerve pain. Best wishes for your continued healing!

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Barb, I'm so happy to hear that you are feeling better! I'm wishing you all the best in your continued recovery. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

Good luck :D
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and support for continued recovery. I know I am not out of the woods, but feel very grateful to be doing so well at just 5 months. I still have that nagging pain around the ischial, but the doctor said I may have to seek further treatment for this as he said hamstring tendonitis is very hard to get rid of. I have looked it up and see some exercises to help strengthen the hamstring to prevent this, but I am afraid to do any of the exercises yet. It also helps to strengthen your core and of course have good pelvic stability, which has been a problem :) But all in good time. First I want to be sure the nerve is healed before I push too much.

Thanks again.

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

Hello Barb,

I did not do operation but I have pain on fold between buttock and leg, and inside thigh between leg and vaginal area. I talked to Dr. Conway and he is saying that it could be pudendal nerve. Maybe you did not restore there yet.

And about exercising this area. You will be prescribed as I imagine one legged stabilization exercises. If you have SI joint problems you will worsen it. In my case I did them because of labrum tear repair and these pains became worse.

Be careful and discuss these exercises with your doctor and pelvic floor PT.

Good luck,

Helen
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks Helen,

Yes, I know it takes a long time for the nerve to heal, so I am sure I will have the pain for awhile. I am going to start PT soon, but I want to start very slow and work up. I need to strengthen my SI Joint on the opposite side from my surgery as my internist, (who is also an osteopath) told me yesterday that I have an anterior rotation. I already knew it with the pain and inflammation I have at the PSIS, but I do know how to do the correction and I have an SI belt that I can wear. The right side where I had surgery is fine.....no rotation....and that was my worse side before. :)

It is amazing to me how very knowledgeable we all become about our anatomy. My husband jokes that I could take the test and become a doctor. I guess we have to if we want to help resolve these issues and deal with this condition.

Have you decided not to have the surgery? It is a big decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
Patty

Post by Patty »

Can I ask what cushion you use?
Barb

Post by Barb »

I have tried so many cushions, as I am sure we all have. Right now the one I am using is like an eggcrate cushion with a hole in the middle. It is more oval than circle and it has a cover over it. I carry it In a bag when I go to restaurants, etc . It works. :)

Hope this helps.

Barb
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hello everyone,
I am continuing my updates in hopes my recovery journey can help others. I also have lots of questions for the seasoned pros on the site.

I am almost 6 months out from surgery. I am in a bit of a flare as I drove too far (25 miles) to have lunch with a friend yesterday and had PT today. The PT has been very conservative. She is mainly working on hamstring....no stretches, just massaging, and working on areas around incision. I think I have been pushing......again, but nerve pain had been better until today, and I feel better on most days!

Now on to the questions. I have been rereading a lot of Dr Potter's MRI and Prof. Aszmann's examination and surgical report. I noticed that Dr. Potter showed no SCAR entrapment of pudendal nerve between ST and SS ligament. However, could it be that it was entrapped because of SI instability and not scar tissue?

Also, Dr. Potter's report showed scar tissue encasing the inferior perineal branches of the pudendal distribution, as well as the posterior margin of the dorsal nerve to the clitoris. This was the reason I went to Prof. Aszmann, but when he examined these areas, they did not seem particularly painful. He did see the scar tissue in the Potter MRI, but thought the main pain was in the entrapment between ST AND SS ligament. Can they be entrapped (perineal and dorsal nerve) and not cause pain? Can scar tissue show up and it not really be entrapping the nerve..........so confusing :(

Obviously, I am praying this will be the main pain generator and after I heal from this surgery, I can get some of my life back. I probably should not have written this today, as the nerve is talking to me. It is still early in the scheme of things. I just have to remember that! :)

Thanks for all the continued support.

Barb
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Great news! Wishing you continued healing!
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.

Return to “SURGERY”