London or Bristol?

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Positivepoppy

Re: London or Bristol?

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi
I have had bilateral pudendal nerve surgery under the care of Mr Wong and found both himself and Mr Greenslade to be excellent. I had CT guided nerve blocks and a high quality ultra scan then a diagnosis and surgery. I was very apprehensive about surgery as in June 2013 I had a hysterectomy and have been in this excruiating pain since. Mr Greenslade however explained everything in detail and reassured me.,still early days as had surgery 7 weeks ago but feel I made the right decision as I was told by Mr Wong right and left side were tightly tethered and in a sorry state. If you want any more info then please let me know. Keep smiling and stay positive there is help out there.
Take care
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

I wonder if anyone has had a positive outcome under Dr baranowski in London? !
I am going to try everything else before surgery as I am scared of the recovery with two small children under 3.
Would love to hear of someone who has done well under Dr B's care. There must be people????
Thanks to everyone for their info, glad to hear you are all on the mend
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

I just wanted to add that although Catherine can be very dificult to get hold of I have always found her to be most helpful and very pleasant to talk to. Just be aware that it make take days or even a couple of weeks to get a reply but it's certainly worth the wait as Dr Greenslade is such a lovely consultant.

Julia
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hello Kassie
Hi are you feeling? How's the recovery going are you able to do more and get out and about? I have started to use the pool in my gym last two weeks to do gentle exercises Mr Wong recommended after surgery and although it's early days the pain does appear to be less acute and sharp? Hate saying that as you can guarantee a flare up later!!! Still unable to sit for prolonged periods and not yet driving- incisions are sometimes sore and bit tough and lumpy but huge improvement, tight fitting clothes are still a no go area but I'm campaigning for the fashionable return of elasticated waist trousers very glam!!!
Let me know how you are doing as you had same surgery two weeks after me under care of Mr Wong' I spoke to him last week and be hugely endorses hydrotherapy and again stated emphatically that I would not see any real difference for 6/7 months ?
Take lots of care and hope you ok physically and mentally as this does drain you!
jennyp

Post by jennyp »

Hi All,
Personally I had a really positive experience with Dr B, he does have a bit of an old school manner with patients but to be honest I meet an lot of university professors / academics through my job who have very similar personalities / approaches. For me I was just incredibly grateful to get my pudendal problems diagnosed correctly after many years suffering needlessly with very little treatment or advice on how to manage my condition and in that respect didn't much care how "nice" Dr B was to me. I had previously met a lot of "nice" consultants who just didn't have a clue and couldn't help. This may sound wrong but I found the pain during the exam was actually a relief, to know it wasn't all my head and he knew exactly the spot that kicked the pain off. I had 3 steroid nerve blocks and 3 rounds of pulsed radio frequency PRFN all done privately via employer insurance which I'm very lucky to have.The PRFN was really effective for me, 9 months virtually pain free before gradual return to pre-PRFN levels. I personally am not sure about the effectiveness of the surgerical treatments for Pudendal issues when undertaken in the UK. I came to the conclusion the risk vs benefits just didn't make it a sensible option for me. I haven't seen the stats on what the outcomes from Bristol are and I'm prepared to be disproven once we hear more stories of positive surgical outcomes.
For me I've found the best way to manage my condition besides the PRFN (last treatment in 2011) is to know what triggers my PN and avoid it. This is a challenge, I've just had to accept there is certain things I can't do anymore, I used to cycle, run, go to the gym etc. Now I'm just careful and know my limitations, if I do chose to do these things I know there will be very painful consequences. Certain "Lady times" ;) during the month are very painful but I have learned to cope / mange and I'm not in a relationship ( I haven't since I've had PN) which probably helps. Accepting this situation and managing the condition rather than seeking a surgical "cure" is the approach that works for me and Dr B has helped me achieve that. I don't feel the need for further PRFN at present but I know that option is there for me if I need it in future.
Thinking of everyone with PN, it's a horrible condition and wish everyone to be pain free.
Jenny

Return to “UK & IRELAND”