Neurontin (Gabapentin) in CREAM/OINTMENT form

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
A's Mommy

Neurontin (Gabapentin) in CREAM/OINTMENT form

Post by A's Mommy »

Hello friends,

With losing my best friend (the On Q pain pump), I am having such different and painful neuralgia sensations. Mainly, my left vulva feels like a burning flame and hurts to wipe after urinating.

I have heard briefly about the Neurontin in a cream form that can be applied to different areas.

Has ANYONE used this with ANY success and where do I obtain it?

Best wishes,

A's Mommy

PS: The ON Q pain pump is stellar. If only we could have a permanent pain pump with marcaine.... come on people.... you engineers out there.... this could be the next best invention!!! And we could take the money and use part of it for PNE research! (Drug brain talking here....)
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
HerMajesty

Re: Neurontin (Gabapentin) in CREAM/OINTMENT form

Post by HerMajesty »

I have tried this and one or two other compounded creams WITHOUT success. They tend to be grainy - feeling and cause some degree of itchiness and irritation in my experience. You get them from a compounding pharmacy, which means you have to see a Doc who knows what dosage to write. I still have the bottles kicking around for the couple of compounded creams I tried, if you want me to look up the standard dosage to share with your Doc. But 1st maybe you would want to see if you find anybody it worked for. Total waste for me.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
merrie

Post by merrie »

I use gabapentin in a vaginal suppository form and it helps me tremendously. I would not be able to function without it. Please pm me and I can give you the specific info if you are interested.

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

I have gabapentin ointment which works the best for that neuralgia pain on my labia and left side of the tip of my clitoris, which must be where the nerve creates havok in my situation.

It is not grainy at all, as it is compounded in a base of almond oil and something else - I am going from memory as I am in bed and dont' want to get up and locate it. sorry.
I can tell you it is from McGuff Pharmacy in Southern California www.mcguff.com
"Clay" is the person who helped me on the phone. He also talked to my doctor, who wrote the script. It was overnighted to me packed in ice. I'm grateful that they make it.

AS far as effectiveness - it isn't like instant relief where all pain is immediately gone - it seemed to "soak in" for an hour or so and also gain effectiveness over a few days. I just know that wiping after urinating got less painful as my neuralgia pain lessened. And I get it out whenever my neuralgia in my labia area flares again.
- Sharon
http://www.icandpne.wordpress.com
1995 First symptoms of PNE and IC
8/2010 Dr. Hibner, left TG- failed surgery.
3/2011 & 10/2011 - Dr. Dellon, left dorsal/perineal neurolysis -also failed.
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Also, the gabapentin ointment I have is labeled "Gabapentin 6% Ointment"
Hope that helps!
LottaNerve wrote:I have gabapentin ointment which works the best for that neuralgia pain on my labia and left side of the tip of my clitoris, which must be where the nerve creates havok in my situation.

It is not grainy at all, as it is compounded in a base of almond oil and something else - I am going from memory as I am in bed and dont' want to get up and locate it. sorry.
I can tell you it is from McGuff Pharmacy in Southern California http://www.mcguff.com
"Clay" is the person who helped me on the phone. He also talked to my doctor, who wrote the script. It was overnighted to me packed in ice. I'm grateful that they make it.

AS far as effectiveness - it isn't like instant relief where all pain is immediately gone - it seemed to "soak in" for an hour or so and also gain effectiveness over a few days. I just know that wiping after urinating got less painful as my neuralgia pain lessened. And I get it out whenever my neuralgia in my labia area flares again.
- Sharon
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
GraceUnderFire

Post by GraceUnderFire »

I don't have any experience with the ointment, but I would sell the rest of my belongings to have an On Q Pump forever!!
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
ezer

Post by ezer »

If you don't want to have to deal with a compounding pharmacy to get Neurontin cream, you can get a prescription for Zonalon which is a Doxepin cream. Doxepin is a tricyclic antidepressant like amytryptiline that is also used for neuropathic pain. It worked pretty well.
My insurance would not pay for compounding medication but they had no problem paying for Zonalon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000323
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

GraceUnderFire wrote:I don't have any experience with the ointment, but I would sell the rest of my belongings to have an On Q Pump forever!!
I'm with you, Grace! I loved my "Onky" pump! (that's the nickname we gave it, LOL)

- - - - - -

And Ezer, thanks for the tip! I will look into that if I need to get more. Compounding medications sure get expensive....
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”