Hibner Surgery... ?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Barb

Re: Hibner Surgery... ?

Post by Barb »

Hi Positivepoppy,

I am glad to give you hope, but I still have a long way to go too. Yes, my flares are down. Unfortunately, I woke up with a small one this morning, probably because I have been doing too much.

I started PT about a month ago, but we are going really slow. She treated me before surgery so I know her really well and we work together very well. It is a very individual choice as to when to try PT after surgery. My main pain continues to be the ischial tuberosity and one of the reasons is because I have a lot of scar tissue from the first surgery. :( She is working to break up the scar tissue. Hopefully, this will help the pain, but she does not get close to the surgery site.

There is a very good article by Dr. Jerome Weiss called " Treatment Options for Persistent Pain Following Pudendal Decompression Surgery". It has a lot of good information in it.

Hope you have better days ahead. Hang in there. It will get better. :)

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
desperate

Post by desperate »

Can anyone please confirm if Dr.Ansell is accepting new patients?
Pudendal pain started in Feb 2014. Potter MRI- useless findings (dont waste your money), tried pelvic floor pt, ART, Trigenics, Osteopathic treatment, fascial work, Massage, Shockwave, world renown chiros, osteopaths and PTs, stretching bla bla. Nothing helped but shockwave (which was short lived) and one world renown chiro that is a douchebag because he cant treat me again. All in all, God is the only one who can lead your path.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Barb,
You have an interesting case. So dr. Aszmann did your tg...do you think you may still have scar tissue distally at dorsal nerve? Also, did he NOT have to sever the SSL or STL? Just notched it? That would be a great advancement in the surgical technique.
Thanks,
Cm
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Desperate,
Dr. Nel Gerig in Denver is a urologist that loves to care for male PN patients. She really didn't help me much, but she is training with Hibner to learn the tg. I go once a year for documentation, ssd paperwork etcetera. She believes the MRN she orders in Denver is as good as Potters, but I've has both done and was it impressed. She takes a long time to get Into ( months) but has a kind NP you could see. She will write scripts for what you need, etcetera. She's not up to snuff on cutting edge pain mgmt techniques, so I went elsewhere for that.

But, she does treat men.

C
No meds work for me
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Carolynn,
Yes, I am finding out how unusual my case is. I am sure I still have the scar tissue at the dorsal and perineal branch. Only time will tell if I will have to have something else done. Prof. Aszmann did not think these were my main pain generators, so that's why he opted for the TG. He toyed with doing an anterior and posterior approach, but I have had so much done to my body in the last three years, and I am no " spring chicken". Recovery from both procedures would have been horrendous. Also, when he examined me, it was not painful at those locations.

No, he did not sever the ST/SS Ligament. He just notched it so that he could see the nerve and give more room for the nerve to move.

I would be interested in knowing more about PRF ablation. You said you were pain free for 5 months. Have you had it done again or are you thinking about surgery now? If the scar tissue at the dorsal and perineal branches cause pain, I would think about PRF before I would do additional surgery, but I am not sorry I did the TG surgery. Prof, Aszmann is a skilled surgeon and a very nice man.

Take care.
Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Barb,
No, I'm not considering surgery at this point. I just personally do t feel comfortable with the outcomes I have witnessed over the past 3 yrs. I love that Aszmann didn't have to sever the ligaments, genius!
I did try prfa another time. I was pain free again 4 weeks later, felt so good I got our in my snowboard, fell and broke my sacrum, which flared it all up again. My next step is cryoablation with dr. Prologo.

Best,
Cm
No meds work for me
lightmail

Post by lightmail »

I am just devastated that Hibner is no longer doing surgery for men. I have taken a sever turn for the worse. Was in bed 22 to 23 hrs a day for almost 3 years. Needed to do bathroom redo last month so when workers were here got out of bed for 3 or 4 days, and did a lot of standing and walking outside because it was to noisy for my hearing problems. It didn't seem to hurt to bad. Wish I would have laid on my mattress in my pickup but thought, hey I don't feel to bad, maybe I can be out of bed more. but I am now paying for it.
I was in no rush for surgery and wanted to give my pn time to correct or not over time. I actually had an appointment with Hibner a year after getting this. That was 2 years ago but didn't think it was the way to go at the time, so I cancelled. 20/20 hind site. Now I feel hopeless. Hurts bad even laying down now. Robert
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Robert,

I am sorry you are in so much pain right now. With this condition it is hard to make the decision to have surgery so please do not beat yourself up for taking the time to see if your problem could be fixed a different way. I believe Dr. Conway is still treating male patients now and you could check on Dr. Marvel.

My best to you,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.

Return to “SURGERY”