Trigger points in vulva ?

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
Rosemary

Trigger points in vulva ?

Post by Rosemary »

hi
I have just started internal physio sessions and sore points have been found in the Obturator Internus muscle which are being treated.

I have tight muscles in the vulva itself too - can these muscles be treated in the same way by a physio internally ?

Realise i am at early days and she is treating one bit a the moment but would like to know if anyone who has tight vulva muscles and have had those treated too with any result.

Sorry my anatomy is not good enough to say which muscles these are - but it is ones in the outer labia and behind it.

Thank you
Rosemary
chrissy

Re: Trigger points in vulva ?

Post by chrissy »

I'm not sure outer labia has muscles? But basically any bits that recreate your pain when pressed can be treated but I wouldn't do it unless you have been shown what to do and have a wand to do it. You don't want to overdo it. I don't know anatomy my husband has been taught it but when he is away I quite often have a flare up because of looking after two little ones on my own and I treat myself by basically pressing around and just feeling for sore bits and trying to breath through the pain until it eases off. Don't think you can really do harm if you use a proper wand.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Thanks for replying Chrissy i appreciate it when you have a young family to look after - my husband used to work away a lot at one time.

As you know I am now seeing same physio as you - she has taught my husband to press on sore points in the Obturator internus which he has been doing and i can feel muscles releasing a bit he can feel them giving away too - early days with this but it is causing more muscle tightness, nerves misfiring and pain in the vulva which is where all my trouble began.

We are all different - Ruth mentioned hypersensitivity last week which i think i may now have in the vulva after 4 years of this - i am going to have to talk to her about it.

I don't have the wand as yet.

I am trying to breathe too but been in a lot of pain last few days.

Rosemary X
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Rosemary, the bulbospongiousus and ischiocavernosus are superficial perineal muscles near the vulvar area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbospongiosus_muscle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischiocavernosus_muscle

Can't remember my PT mentioning those muscles during PT treatments but my guess is that dilators would be targeting/stretching those muscles.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Thanks Violet
I am going to print it out to take to the physio next time.

From your other posting to me on another thread - you would be more than welcome to call on us anytime, if you are here in the Spring.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Rosemary wrote:
From your other posting to me on another thread - you would be more than welcome to call on us anytime, if you are here in the Spring.
:D You are very sweet. Would love to visit the UK but it's probably more of a dream than a reality.

Would be interested to know what your PT thinks.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Violet M wrote:
Would be interested to know what your PT thinks.

Violet
Thank you as always Violet - i am going to my PT again this week for the third time.
My husband is doing the internal pressure points in the Obtuator Internus in the meantime.
I believe that my vulva is now hypersensitive as i react to everything - will see what she says.

Rosemary X
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Rosemary, when I had internal myofascial release of the oburator internus before PNE surgery it caused a major flare-up for a week. Do you feel like maybe it is causing you a flare-up?

Violet
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

Rosemary
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I saw Ruth again on Wednesday and it actually took me ten hours to get home because of traffic and I have been suffering the after effects of that!
Yes it's not great having a husband who works away but on the plus side it is his insurance paying for all this!
My vulval area is very sore at the moment too and it was here it started for me too! Ruth mentioned about the pain shrinking back to the area or something.... Do you have pain in your clitoris? Sorry to ask only mine is so sore! I can't stand it being touched/rubbed at all which is a bit of a downer when it comes to sex! But even walking is quite unpleasant. Ruth suggested gently rubbing the area when you are resting to get it used to sensation and normalising it. Just don't do it when people are watching haha!!
How are you getting on in general? I am much better and weaning down the meds. I do my Physio religiously but it is tiring. I still get sore but try to ignore it as much as possible and put it to the back of my mind do I know I am a lot better because before the treatment the pain was all I thought about
Hugs
Chrissy xx
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Violet M wrote:Rosemary, when I had internal myofascial release of the oburator internus before PNE surgery it caused a major flare-up for a week. Do you feel like maybe it is causing you a flare-up?

Violet
Maybe Violet - my husband says that he can feel the muscles giving in the OB so can i a bit as he does it - i am feeling more muscle tightness and burning in the vulva now though and this is where the nerves were irritated initially- not sure if this counts as a flare up . i couldn't bear my husband doing anything last night to the OB - we have been trying to do the procedure once a day if possible - i also reacted to the lube that i was given to use when my husband used a whole sachet ! (he thinks he is fixing his motorbike :lol: ) and it got on the outside of the vulva - had nerves misfiring in the vulva after using it so have stopped that.

Your flare up must have been very painful if the truth was that your nerve was trapped at the time.

Rosemary X
Last edited by Rosemary on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”