Merrie's Dr Olga Kalinkin MRI Result

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
elizabeth.w

Merrie's Dr Olga Kalinkin MRI Result

Post by elizabeth.w »

Hello All:

Got my MRI report in the mail today from my MRI with Dr Kalinkin. I'm kind of freaking out since I don't understand what it means and I don't have an appt. with Dr Hibner until next week.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts:

"There is preserved fat planes surrounding the pudendal nerve in the inter ligamentous space, in the Alcocks canal bilaterally. There is no perineural scarring or edema. There is slight asymmetry of accompanying pudendal nerve vessels with right pudendal vessels slightly larger than the left pudendal vessels. Pudendal nerve branch to the rectum are symmetrical bilaterally. RIGHT PERINEAL BRANCH VESSEL IS TORTUOUS AND PROMINENT. There is no single intensity assymetry on the diffusion weighted imaging along the course of the pudendal nerve. Sciatic nerve is symmetrical bilaterally. Femoral, obtrutor, superior and inferior gluteal neurovascular bundles bundles are symmetrical bilaterlly....

IMPRESSION:
No MRI significant assymetry of the pudendal neurovascular bundle. RIGHT PERINEAL BRANCH VESSEL IS TORTUOUS AND PROMINENT. Correlate clinically for pudendal neuralgia."

Thanks!
Merrie
Last edited by elizabeth.w on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
elizabeth.w

Re: Merrie's Dr Galinkin MRI Result

Post by elizabeth.w »

And sorry all this is under Elizabeth and not my normal log in which is Merrie. I lost my username and password at one point and had set this up as a separate log in. Apparently my computer here at work remembered that since I usually do not post at work.

Thanks!
Merrie :)
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

tortuous means it twists a lot and prominent means obvious/large

if by vessel they mean an artery or a vein, it could mean that your artery or vein there is a varicose vein.
if that branch were next to the nerve, it could be putting pressure on it.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
elizabeth.w

Post by elizabeth.w »

Thanks for your feedback Pianogal. I had a similar thought after thinking about this all day. I have been trying to do some research on the internet and have not come up with anything more on point.

Im frustrated the MRI does not say anything more specific re/ the dorsal nerve. Im going to see if I can call Dr Kalinkin for more info.

Merrie
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Merrie,
Who is Dr. Galinkin by the way?Were you referring to Dr. Olga Kalinkin by any chance? By means of Dr. Hollis Potter and Dr. Olga Kalinkin MRI results,it is becoming obvious that in some cases,the Perenial as well as the dorsal branches of the Pudendal nerve are the culprits and not the main trunk itself.
This is indeed very interesting now.Now the big question is that how will Dr. Hibner address the Perenial and dorsal branch entrapments?

Merrie,please make sure that you do discuss these with Dr. Hibner when you meet him.Also ask him to what extent can he he decompress the Perenial branch?Does he decompress it at the Alcock's Canal level or when it branches off the Pudendal/Alcock's Canal.

Warmest Reqards,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
merrie

Re: Merrie's Dr olga kalinkin MRI Result

Post by merrie »

Ali- yes it is dr Olga Kalinkin in phx who did the MRI.

So you think that the perenial blood vessel being tortuous and prominent may mean nerve entrapment in the perineal area? I was afraid of that.

I will absolutely discuss this with dr hibner next week as it's one of the main reasons for my appt. I'm also going to see if there is any chance of me speaking with dr Kalinkin before then.

Thanks!
Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
A's Mommy

Re: Merrie's Dr Olga Kalinkin MRI Result

Post by A's Mommy »

If it is a perineal vessel that is of concern, perhaps ask Dr. Hibner if he can remove it, thus removing pressure on your pudendal nerve or perineal branch. He can remove things using the DaVinci robot. He is very prominent and successful and adept at DaVinci robotic surgery. Perhaps you do not have an entrapment after all. I pray this is the case.

A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi AM,
Can he do the DaVinci Robotic surgery on men too?
Thanks,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
merrie

Post by merrie »

Thanks A's mommy. I hope you are right and I will absolutely discuss with Dr Hibner. He initially recommended davinci hysterectomy for me given my other pelvic pain conditions (adenomyosis and related issues) so maybe he can kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak! I am fighting the insurance fight right now and am praying to god I can get my surgery approved to be performed by Dr H.

Will keep you all posted! Thanks again for all the feedback and support!

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013

Return to “MRI/MRN”