ESWT Treatment Experience in Cornwall

Accupuncture, Reiki, Cognitive Behavourial Therapy, Prolotheraphy, Radio Frequency, Hypnotherapy, Osteopathy and many more.
bma

Re: ESWT Treatment Experience in Cornwall

Post by bma »

Faith wrote:I just wanted to update this thread. Dr. Andrew charged me $128 for my records (for 5 days of treatment) to be sent to my disability attorney. I was blown away. The next closest amount I was charged was $38 and that was from my hip surgeon/PT (who I've seen for many months). My attorneys office said the US has a cap on how much doctors/medical practitioners can charge for medical records, but this did not apply to Dr. Andrew (since he is in Canada). I thought this was very sad as I had already paid Dr Andrew thousands of dollars for treatment. I don't know how it could have cost him $128 to print out and mail a few pages. He is supposedly a former PN sufferer himself. You would think he would have more empathy for his fellow chronic pelvic pain community, but apparently he does not. I don't know if anyone else actually sees him anymore, but I wanted to post as I think this experience is another example of Dr. Andrew's character.
Faith, Very sad what happened to him. But the fact that Dr. Kirk not being a doctor does not mean much. Since doctors are doing worse (Tiberu Erdogru in Ali). I guess you were not ideal for treating patients because the sensitivity of their tissues. I keep thinking that no surgery is ideal for most patients the way. Although there is a trend on this site that leads us to this path. What I see is that the protocol Dr. Kirk has similar surgery 50/50 results. With worsening in some cases, as he remarked.
- Blocking done by Dr. Luciano Braun, Brazil
- bLock in piriformis - no response
- Physiotherapy, good response, 50%
- Therapy with low lidocaine infusion, good response .30%
- Surgery? Perhaps. But I'm incredulous.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi bma and everyone
Just saw ur post re: dr Andrew
I am also a patient who saw him once. I had some promising results while up there but worsened by the time we went home. His opinion is that I needed several treatments partly due to my extremely tight psoas. The latter has been noted also by practitioners here in the USA.
For various reasons I chose to think hard and do more research before going back. Is he now saying his success rates are only 50/50 "similar to those of surgeons". If so its a big change from what I told when went in 2011.
Thx for any info.
Mahzi

Post by Mahzi »

Hello
I just read your experience in cornwall. I am going there for treatment with Glen for Pne pain as after 2 surgery still seem entrapped with scar tissues and a lot of pain. Its 2 years now since you posted are you now any better. Would like to know. I am really scared as i don't want my situation to worsen like yours. Do let me know
Manzi
velmartd

Post by velmartd »

I was wondering the same thing...there was also another more recent member, who had shockwave therapy...How long ago were your surgeries, and who performed them ? Did you get any relief ? I live in California, and would have to travel to Canada, for shockwave treatment since there isn't any available in USA...Where are you located ? My entrapment I feel is at the Ischial Spine on the left,
not sure that shockwave treatment can effectively respond to entrapment that deep...Best Wishes
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Mahzi

It may help you to read Konedogs thread if you have not read it already it is http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... it=konedog

a long thread but may be worth reading if you are in a similar position - sorry i am not sure if you are male or female - on page 12 he is going to Dr Andrew - page 29 he reports of some success.

Rosemary
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Mahzi,
Not sure if your post was directed to me or others who had shockwave therapy in Cornwall. But just saw it and thought Id respond.

Just for more info, I was one of the last patients treated when Dr Andrew and Glen worked as partners.
Dr Andrew did the ART therapy and Glen did the shockwave. When I contacted them by phone in early spring 2012 I was given the "hard sell" by Glen about their therapy,He said I would be" sitting" during my trip back to the states. I suffered from sit/bone but mostly severe anal pain (constant) and urinary /pelvic floor issues which varied.
I also spoke to Dr Andrew, who was a bit more cautiously optimistic/realistic in his predictions than Glen. tho he was very positive too.
After hearing so much negativity and ignorance from docs here in the US ,this sounded wonderful but almost too good to be true.
Still I'd heard of a few glowing reports of experiences by members of this group...2 were women,,, appox in my age group, so I was hopeful.

Results: I did "sit" while in Cornwall"... in fact Glen had me sit after the first shockwave treatment. I did so...it wasn't perfect but hurt much less than before A couple days in, I was sitting for meals and pretty well in the car. I had laid on a mattress on the 6 hr drive up).
I spent 5 days -- with Mon- Fri 2-3 hours of treatments by Glenn and Dr A, as described.
By Thurs night my husband and I were happily eating in dinner a restaurant, more comfy with sitting than in ages. I was told I had one of the tightest PSOAs muscles they's seen and compared to another patient who was similar to me, but even tighter,.. and who was doing well (she was one of my references).
I was feeling better and better until Friday evening after treatment, I began to notice pain returning and more so by the trip home on Saturday. They said to expect the inflammation phase to kick in after treatment but this quickly?? Why?..I was surprised and worried.
I couldn't "sit" without pain any more, and soon after my bladder symptoms flared.. badly. (Weeks later) symptoms were back at pre- treatment baseline.
In speaking to them Dr Andrew reminded me that he's said I'd need at least 2-3 trips up there to make continuing progress, but now he seemed to be adding more weeks to the recuperation timeframe from inflammation AND more trips up in order to heal my PN pain,..the story was changed from when Id first spoken on phone to them. He made me sound like a tough case due to my Psoas muscles, tho Glenn had noted the PN wasn't bad..???

In my case, I think Glenn went a bit too hard on me with the shockwave gun. Knowing that I was only there for 5 days and was from out of town, my guess is he wanted to give me as much shockwave as possible to get my healing going. Maybe it was too much! Ive always wondered if thats why I flared so quickly afterwards and so dramatically..quite a shock to already worn out system
He (Glenn ) also oversold the power of the treatment ,IMHO .
Tho I must admit that this was the ONLY treatment Ive had since my sit pain began, that made feel significantly better and and for a few days! We were hopeful! ALL that said, tho I have apprehension, a few years have gone by and DR A. has probably learned a lot from all the patients treated since
Hence he is making no promises when one speaks to him, just like the docs here . Maybe his experience will benefit any of us who may decide to go up in the future.
But I will say that he does seem to understand the etiology of PN /chronic pelvic pain and explain it in more detail than any other docs Ive met and is the only practitioner to have given me any real relief.
So I still do consider it a possible option to re-visit him..
I also wondered why Glenn and DR A. broke up their partnership? (esp. being one of the last PN patients they treated as team) and why they didn't mention it at the time of my treatment?
I have mixed emotions and haven't gone back yet mostly due to things I read on these boards .It made me wonder about DR A. (tho I had a pretty good experience with him.) Im also scared of the flare being worse again. Will see.
Now that they're not a team , I would lean towards seeing DR A if I do go up again.
(If it works its worth it
Hope this helps.
They both said my PN wasn't that bad, (even tho that pain is my worst) but that loosening my tight PSOSs was the key to my urinary and pudendal pain, PTS here at home have agreed about the PSos tightening.
Mahzi ? and everyone...hope this helps.
rechbill

Post by rechbill »

Debbie, I have posted this before, but Dantrolene is the best muscle relaxer, by far. My leg muscles were more like cables before I started on it. Now I can actually stretch and get results.

Return to “OTHER THERAPIES”