New here/scheduled for Pudendal Nerve Block/scared

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Violet M

Re: New here/scheduled for Pudendal Nerve Block/scared

Post by Violet M »

hopeman wrote: Can you introduce one physician who would like to answer my questions through Email ,I do not live in US , E mail tends to be only way to contact with PNE physician.

Hopeman
It can be difficult to reach physicians via email because some of them get so much email they filter it. If their email is listed in our list of physicians on the website at pudendalhope.org then you can try to email them and hope they answer. I'm sorry, I don't have a better answer for you.

I don't know what your questions are. People on the forum might be able to answer some of them.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
rainyday

Post by rainyday »

Hi Violet

A few things:

I was talking to my PT about the piriformis and botox and she said she knows a Doc who does trigger points into the piriformis but not botox so I'm guessing I can start with her (the Doctor) but what's funny is, I could have sworn my piriformis was in a diffirent location than what my PT was working on today. So, I found out my sitz bones are not very painful at all. I thought my hip bones were my sitz bones... so she said the hip bones connect to the piriformis and that was just jump off the table sensitive... (both hip and piriformis) but she said she doesn't feel any spasming in the muscle... so I guess I'm wondering if it's not spasming, would I still benefit from getting the trigger point injection? I think I would as it constantly hurts there and man does it feel good to have it worked on. It feels like the best thing in the world.

Two: I called Dr. Potter's office about whether the MRI showed labral tears and what the girl said is kind of confusing. She basically said that's not what the pelvic mri is looking for BUT the pictures (they said they sent a CD along with the report to my gyno) might show it if someone were looking for it. I know what she was saying but am I crazy to say that's kind of crazy? LOL

So what am I supposed to do now? Take the CD to yet another Doctor and have him/her scan the 100's of pics looking for a labral tear? Sounds easier (given how frustrating Doctors can be) to simply go get a left hip MRI with a Doctor (this is why Medicare is going out of business) It's all so crazy. Oh my PT also said some people have labral tears that are not causing their pain BUT of course, if I have one I should know. She also said I might have Bursitis in my hip.

Is there a place get a TENS unit? I had one years ago (on loan I think - so long ago) that I had to give back.
rainyday

Post by rainyday »

Hi Janet

Yes, isn't it a marvel how much it can vary (even hour to hour?) 2 is a good level (I'm happy to hear it) but I know how when it is a 2 (or whatever) and then it shoots up to a 5-6 how much panic can set in. It takes a while (if ever) to trust that we won't stay up at our high levels after a flare. I'm like a 4-5 lately with shoot ups to 7 or 8. Gotta trust that the 7 or 8 won't hang around for long.

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. That's gotta be so painful and scary especially at that age. I hope the hospital rehab is good and has her feeling better soon. Take it easy. You know how car travel can aggravate things. Heaven forbid plane travel! Even getting from the living room from the kitchen can be perilous depending on the day!

Lily
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Hi Lily,
FYI I got my TENS from pain management but I think PT could have provided as well. My Aunt has very good PT (my sister in law works at the PT place part time but fortunately not on my Aunt). Well I am tryong to brace myself for the after affects of falling after dinner trying to get out of the restaurant booth). My back hurts a bit and I am guessing it it my pelvic alignment since that happened after another fall. I was having such a lovely day until then. I just got a refill of pain pills so I guess that will come in handy. I always hope those flares are short lived. I am glad they do eventually go away.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

rainyday wrote:Hi Violet

so I guess I'm wondering if it's not spasming, would I still benefit from getting the trigger point injection? I think I would as it constantly hurts there and man does it feel good to have it worked on. It feels like the best thing in the world.
Well, if they use lidocaine or bupivocaine into that area of pain it should help temporarily even if it's not a muscle in spasm. If it's given into the muscle and that relieves your pain, then Botox might help. If it's given into the muscle and you don't get any pain relief then my understanding is that it's less likely Botox will help.
rainyday wrote:Two: I called Dr. Potter's office about whether the MRI showed labral tears and what the girl said is kind of confusing. She basically said that's not what the pelvic mri is looking for BUT the pictures (they said they sent a CD along with the report to my gyno) might show it if someone were looking for it. I know what she was saying but am I crazy to say that's kind of crazy? LOL

So what am I supposed to do now? Take the CD to yet another Doctor and have him/her scan the 100's of pics looking for a labral tear? Sounds easier (given how frustrating Doctors can be) to simply go get a left hip MRI with a Doctor (this is why Medicare is going out of business) It's all so crazy. Oh my PT also said some people have labral tears that are not causing their pain BUT of course, if I have one I should know. She also said I might have Bursitis in my hip.
You could ask if Dr. Potter she can have another look at your MRI to look for labral tears. If not, then you might want to check with one of the labral tear docs mentioned by Lernica in her posts and see if they can either have a look at your CD or advise whether you should get new images. If you are going to have the imaging re-done, you might as well have it done to the surgeon's specifications just in case, right?
rainyday wrote:Is there a place get a TENS unit? I had one years ago (on loan I think - so long ago) that I had to give back.
My PT recommended one and insurance covered it. I'm sure you can get them yourself online but if you can get your insurance to cover it that would be better.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
rainyday

Post by rainyday »

Oh no Janet!! How did you fall? I hope it's nothing too serious and that it passes quickly.

How are you feeling tonight??

Rest up!

Thanks Violet

Maybe I'll get my PT to contact Potter's office... if it's a doc she may get to her easier than I can.

I think I'm def going to have them do the piriformis. I wonder if I have to wait since I had the coccyx done on 7/8 (steroid)

I'll look online for the TENS unit and then talk to the PT about it all. Glad to know it's available to get on your own. :) L
hopeman

Post by hopeman »

Dear Violet

You tends to cut SSL, but you do not develop pelvis instability.
I am consideing have surgery for my right side. Whether or not to cut SSL is the key point for my decision of physicians.
Is there many people (include you)here do not develop pelvis instsbility after cutting SSL?

My second question is that, what is the probability of curing pudendal nerve pain after a series of blocks?
A surgeon answer me that the probability is 60%.

The third question is that my last surgery made a partial incisicion of STL, and expose piriformis and sciatic nerve.
After surgery I had foot pain when I walk or stand still. I do not know whether such foot pain attribute to sciatic pain due to surgery or attribute to pelvis instability. I do not have movement pain and starting pain.MRI after surgery show that sciatic nerve and piriformis is normal.

Totally my pudendal nerve pain is getting better after seven months of surgery. If I want to have surgery for my right side, Should the period between the first and second surgery be more than one year?
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Hopeman,

In response to your post to Violet, I thought you may find this thread helpful:

http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... ssl#p44687

As Violet suggested in this thread, you may also do an advanced search to research the long debate about pelvic instability in regards to cutting the SSL & STL.

You may also find it helpful to do a search about nerve blocks. There's an abundance of information to be found, in addition to a well written, informative newsletter:

http://www.pudendalhope.info/sites/defa ... 202014.pdf
hopeman wrote:Totally my pudendal nerve pain is getting better after seven months of surgery. If I want to have surgery for my right side, Should the period between the first and second surgery be more than one year?
The best answer to your question should really come from a surgeon you're comfortable with. To the best of my knowledge, there is no specific time frame when one should have the contralateral side addressed.
When you had your diagnostic testing done; did it confirm PNE, bilaterally? What was your surgeons reason for not doing both sides at once?

Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
hopeman

Post by hopeman »

Dear Karyn,

I had one side surgery because the surgeon suggested that I only have left side PNE through ultrasound and MRI. However, I am still have a little right side pain after surgery.

Hopeman
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Lily,
Thanks for the concern and support. I feel when I slid out of the booth after dinner and forgot it was raised. Instead of getting my feet of the ground I slid out onto the floor and landed on my left butt cheek. The pain is now all around my core section and seems to be due to pelvic misalignment. I got a PT appointment first thing tomorrow and hope they can straighten me out. Looks like a weekend to take it easy, maybe the pain will subside after PT and some rest. The weather should be nice so I can even be putside on my chaise lounge chair. If don't better I have my GP, acupuncture and pain doctors to help. Fortunately it is not excruciating and I just got another prescription of pain meds. I hope you have a nice weekend and can get some info from Dr Potter's office. I think the injections are 3 per year and maybe minimum of month or two apart? The doctors that did mine explained at the time but I cannot remember.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”