Massage is as effective as Myofascial PT

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
Charlie

Massage is as effective as Myofascial PT

Post by Charlie »

I noticed this article about a randomized study for myofascial PT for IC presented at a conference in Chicago just this month. For the symptom of pain myofascial PT was found not to be significantly more effective that a regular full body massage.

The control group of patients were given a regular full body massage (not specific to the pelvis) and one group received myofascial pelvic floor PT. Blinding was not successful in the study so patients were aware they were in the control group (massage) and not having the correct treatment.

http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/new ... 7c641.html

At first glance it appears positive as the title for the article is

Myofascial Physical Therapy Appears Beneficial in Patients With Interstitial Cystitis.

As the second paragraph states
Among 81 women with interstitial cystitis and moderate to severe pain or urgency, global response assessment (GRA) rates at 12 weeks were 59% with myofascial physical therapy versus 26% with global massage therapy consisting of full-body Western massage.
So 59% people felt moderately or markedly improved after PT ( I always find it interesting these 2 categories are lumped together.) To asses this patients were asked this question.

As compared to when you started the study, how would you rate your overall symptoms now?”
1. markedly worse
2. moderately worse
3. slightly worse
4. the same
5. slightly improved
6. moderately improved
7. markedly improved

Participants who indicated they were 6: “moderately” or 7: “markedly” improved were considered intervention responders. This question is referred to in the study as the global response assessment.

So far so good.

However then we have this paragraph.
The secondary end points did not confirm the primary results, Ms. Kotarinos said. The MPT arm had greater mean changes in symptom scores than did the GMT arm on the Interstitial Cystitis Symptom Index (-3.2 vs. -2.2), Interstitial Cystitis Problem Index (-3.6 vs. -2.4), Likert Pain scale (-2.2 vs. -1.5), and Likert Urge Scale (-2.1 vs. -1.4), but the differences did not reach statistical significance.
The language is couched in scientific terms as to make it I suspect as unintelligible as possible.

What it means is that for symptoms of pain , urgency and frequency myofascial/trigger point treatment was found not to have a significantly greater affect than a regular full body massage.

Yes the patients reported PT to have a greater effect than massage generally but when the researchers asked patients to be specific on matters such as pain levels ( marked from 1 to 10) , frequency and urgency no significant difference between massage and PT was found. Massage and PT showed pretty much the same improvement when it came to this. Bear in mind the massage treatment was not even confined to the pelvis, it was full body massage.

I fully expect this nugget of information to drop like a stone in the pelvic pain world as it is not exactly good news for myofascial physical therapy.
Last edited by Charlie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
HerMajesty

Re: Massage is as effective as Myofascial PT

Post by HerMajesty »

I guess I always thought of deep tissue massage and myofascial PT to be pretty much the same thing, except my insurance pays for 60 PT visits per year and a massage comes straight out of my wallet.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

HerMajesty wrote:I guess I always thought of deep tissue massage and myofascial PT to be pretty much the same thing, except my insurance pays for 60 PT visits per year and a massage comes straight out of my wallet.
Well if myofascial PT is cheaper than massage it makes sense to continue with PT. As the study above showed in terms of effectiveness for reducing pain they are about the same.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Interesting. I guess this explains why I feel a reduction in pain after a deep tissue full body massage! Wish my insurance covered it!
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

I want a full body massage!!! I pay $25 for each pt visit, so why not save my bucks and get a massage? I would be so worried about them injuring something, though. Then again, pt injured me before, too.

Do trained and licensed massage therapists learn about nerves, fascia, etc?
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

There are some extremely well educated and innovative massage therapists in the field. There are also some morons who slid through massage school just to get a job. So be careful, read their websites, look for recommendations. I have met some massage therapists through my work contacts, that have enough knowledge of nerves, fascia, etc to put most Doctors and PT's to shame.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
nyt

Post by nyt »

I've gone every week for about 3 years for a massage. It took us a couple of sessions to figure out what he could and could not do. It has been a work in progress but he is willing to listen and work with me. I do notice a difference and now after 3 years there are areas on me that he can work on that he couldn't before so I am happy with the slow but steady progress. He still can't work on my inner thighs so he just ices them. I did a lot of research before I went to him. He is a licensed massage therapist after going to school and has taken a lot of advanced training in sports and trigger point massage. He works on individuals with alot of medical conditions and is not only very knowledgeable about RSD but works with patients with RSD. He owns a small massage business with a couple of other massage therapist and when he is on vacation he only lets one other massage therapist treat me because this other therapist is also very knowledgeable about the problems of working with anyone with medical conditions. If you decide to try this make sure you do your homework and find someone who really knows what they are doing. You just can't go to anyone.

I'll have to read the study but one thing a full body massage will do that pelvic floor PT doesn't address is the other areas of the body that get tight because of pain and holding yourself in different positions such as side sitting.

thanks for sharing the study.
Last edited by nyt on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
missyrg

Post by missyrg »

nyt you make some good points about massage helps those areas you over work becuase PN(E). I have a great massage therapist who specializes in working with people who have some type of chronic pain. I am planning to go soon. Missy

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”