Dr Hibner or Dr Conway? Other operation issues

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Sam59

Re: Dr Hibner or Dr Conway? Other operation issues

Post by Sam59 »

I am scheduled to have surgery in January I need t know I can fly after the surgery? Will I be in lots of pain? What about walking? I am scared it will be to hard to fly and have thought about driving but at this point I really have no one to drive me. Will I have my senses about me when I walk through the airports? Any feed back would really help. I am scared to death!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I can't say for sure how you will do but I can tell you I flew back to the US after surgery in France. It was not easy and I had to take a lot of pain medication but I did manage. If you have to change flights you might request a wheelchair and assistance from the airline ahead of time in making your next connection to the next flight. They can also help you move your luggage form one flight to the next. You might need to get a note from your doctor. But definitely check ahead of time with the airline on what assistance is available to to you.

Best wishes for success with your surgery.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Sam59

Post by Sam59 »

I am scheduled t have surgery in January and I am scared to death. Dr Hibner did a nerve block and that left me numb and no pain. some days are bad but then some not so bad. Would love to be pain free but here's the deal,how do you know if surgery is the right thing to do. I have heard it can make you worse. I have heard it takes 2-3 years to heal I have heard the pain is terrible. I have thigh pain also besides groin pain and butt pain. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and not taking the wrong road to get better. Dr. Hibners PT said she would not even suggest PT because I was so tight with spasms. Any words of wisdom would help please! JUST PLAIN SCARED. I was an active person and I can't stand the thought of being down still for several months!
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hello Sam,

My surgery with Dr Hibner was 4 years ago next month. Have posted in detail my experience. You can find it under Case Updates and Reviews, dated 22 Nov 2010 - the title is "Surgery with Dr. Hibner on 11/01/10– Initial Report from RR." There are updates posted at 8 weeks and 12 weeks post surgery. And then annually since. The info may help you prepare for what to expect.

Surgery was the right decision for me and has restored me to a normal life.
Best,
Bob
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
nyt

Post by nyt »

I flew after surgery. You will have a pain pump in. They will send a letter for airport security. I recommend you get a wheelchair at check-in at the door before you enter the airport. It saves you having to wait in long lines and just makes it a lot easier because there are inclines areas in the Phoenix Airport which you have to be extremely careful about walking inclines for the first month or so. You will get a pat down and just tell them the pump is connected to you and ask them to be very careful as you do not want them to accidentally tug on it and dislodge the location. I have flown three times with pain pumps from Phoenix to Upstate, New York. I always purchase two seats to fly so I can lay down after take off.

Surgery is always a difficult decision. Took me almost 3 years before I finally went through with it. I have improvements but am not cured. I needed both sides done and I took about 1 year between each surgery. Recover for me was slow but my case is complicated by other medical issues.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hello,

Dr. Conway no longer does the TIR approach. He only does the TG approach, for surgery. Both are good men, I've had surgery with Dr. Conway, and Dr. Hibner. Both are really good men. I don't know which would be better. Dr. Conway will follow you through surgery, from the time you get it, until years after. My experience with Dr. Hibner, is that he will do surgery, and then you are on your own, from there out. So, if you want surgery with Dr. Hibner, just make sure that you have a post surgery medical person, with you. Things like a PT therapist, etc. Hope this helps.

Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for sharing the info about these two doctors from a post-op perspective. Hope you are well and enjoying life!

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Injustice

Post by Injustice »

Thanks for all the info.
Last edited by Injustice on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Hi John,
In the right crner nder the banner is a link to members next to logout. GreT is listed under the g section then when you select his name it should have a private message link that will bring the up a message area so you can send him a message that will got to his email.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.

Return to “SURGERY”