water PT suggestion for pain

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
kat

water PT suggestion for pain

Post by kat »

I had vaginal surgery and am allergic to most soaps and detergents so I have sensitive skin.
I had water PT 4 months after surgery and I swelled up and turned bright red. I cried the burning was so bad even though I was only in the water for 20 min. and showered at the PT pool.

Cure

Cover your personal parts (or wherever your incisions are) with Lidocaine 2% gel and put a plastic sandwich baggy over it. The baggy will dry to your skin and keep the chemical water off sensitive skin.

I may be the only one with this issue, but the chemicals and jets in the PT pool was WAY TOO MUCH for my hyper sensitive vagina (that is where most of my surgery was done) so it is a suggestion if you need it. It saved me.

Loves and praying for cures for all.
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
kat

Re: water PT suggestion for pain

Post by kat »

water PT has stopped for me.

Water caused me to use core muscles (pelvic floor muscles) to hold steady in the water and set me back.

I am now back on bed rest so I am warning those considering it.

I have pelvic floor issues that are being dealt with using ultrasound, TENS unit and biofeedback and land PT so I pray to be back on track.

If you don't have pelvic floor issues, restroom issues or dilator issues like I do than maybe water is good for you.

Just please be careful and do what you think is best for your body. I know how hard set backs are with this condition and am trying to save you from the mistake I made as we try to find cures for this condition.

Loves
merrie

Post by merrie »

I was advised by my Dr Sheldon Jordan that gentle water walking in warm pool water is excellent for neuropathic pain and rsd but not vigorous water exercize or pt.

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
nyt

Post by nyt »

I tried water PT in the 92 degree pool and it set me back. Same issues with the core muscles plus my legs don't tolerate the heat and I got heat rashes from my RSD. Each time I went I got worse. I do water therapy on my own in a colder pool at the YMCA. I continually modify what I do so I don't get any flares. My favorite is putting on the flotation belt and just hanging out in the pool to get the muscles from my waist down to relax.

I recently have started Qigong. I do find it relaxing and do it at my own pace at home with videos. Anyone else try Qigong?
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
kat

Post by kat »

Nyt is correct.

Water PT was very slow, very small walking steps in a warm, small pool.

Your body uses core muscles and pelvic floor muscles to do these things and when you have no gravity to tell you that you are in pain it causes more nerve damage.

I'm back in bed with muscle spasms in my back and legs.

Please be careful. Water PT only works in theory for us with pelvic floor and muscular issues as well. It doesn't matter how easy the movements are.

Please don't trust your docs since they are all experimenting to try to cure us. Know your personal body and personal needs so you don't have set backs like us.

Loves
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Nyt!
What is Qigong???
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

kat wrote:I had vaginal surgery and am allergic to most soaps and detergents so I have sensitive skin.
I had water PT 4 months after surgery and I swelled up and turned bright red. I cried the burning was so bad even though I was only in the water for 20 min. and showered at the PT pool.

Cure

Cover your personal parts (or wherever your incisions are) with Lidocaine 2% gel and put a plastic sandwich baggy over it. The baggy will dry to your skin and keep the chemical water off sensitive skin.

I may be the only one with this issue, but the chemicals and jets in the PT pool was WAY TOO MUCH for my hyper sensitive vagina (that is where most of my surgery was done) so it is a suggestion if you need it. It saved me.

Loves and praying for cures for all.
I had similar sensitivities when I was at my worst but now am able to get in the pool; just want to add there are skin barrier creams available on the market, I know one is called "invisible gloves"...this was recommended to me at the time but as I never tried water therapy I just stayed out of the pool until my condition improved. But Kat you might be interested in looking into these kinds of products if you are not totally satisfied with your current strategy.
I don't know if this is usual for people with PN but I FOR SURE got the idea at one time to use topical lidocaine, and it broke my skin down badly.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Gigong is the father of Tai Chi. In China it is as a part of treatment for pain. I have gotten a few videos out of the library to try and it is very gentle movement sequence routines. Is suppose to align the Chi energy.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
kat

Post by kat »

This is an odd place to post this, but it was brought up on this strand.

Qigong and Tai Chi are both things I used years ago before the pain was so bad. They both helped me so they are worth looking into. They are both slow and liquid movements so they seem to calm the body so it handles pain better and helps calm the mind as well.

Good luck and love as you search for cures.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”