New here, 18 and extremely worried

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
travelisdangerous

Re: New here, 18 and extremely worried

Post by travelisdangerous »

My GP definitely didn't think I had prostatitus. They thought I had some kind of STD.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Why not prostatitis? Your symptoms fill most of the check boxes. Did they check your prostate via DRE?
If not then absolutely demand to be seen by an experienced urologist.

I guess, it explains why he prescribed azithromycin. Ciprofloxacin is the primary choice for prostatitis because it penetrates the prostate. But in any case follow your GP's recommendation. He may have seen something obvious.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
travelisdangerous

They barely even listened to my symptoms, she just instantly said that she thinks I had an infection, gave me that drug and that's it. From my sexual encounter I did get chlamydia (so unlucky) but that had been treated a while back and the symptoms I am experiencing now ddon't relate to chlamyia at all but I think that convinced the doctor that it was an infection. Could chlamydia cause PN?
ezer

Post by ezer »

No chlamydia does not give you PN. Infections will make your pelvic floor spasm though. Again, a prostate infection will generate all the symptoms you reported. STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause acute bacterial prostatitis. That will only respond to antibiotics that penetrate the prostate (like Levaquin or Cipro).

Did they give you doxycycline for chlamydia? If yes, why do they think you still have an infection?
I understand that azithromycin has a wide spectrum. Does she think you have gonorrhea that is commonly treated with that class of antibiotics?

But again you can have non-bacterial prostatitis due to all the stress you went through. It is much more plausible than PN and explains the frequency, dribbling, pain below the abdomen, testicular pain etc. In fact parts of the testicles are innervated by the genitofemoral and ilioinguinal nerves, not the PN.
You really need to consult with an experienced urologist.
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Travelisdangerous,

Just wanted to say that my GP also had no idea what was going on with me so I understand your frustration.

I agree with Ezer that an infection could cause you to tense up your pelvic floor but the only way you are going to know for sure if your pelvic floor is tense is to be evaluated by someone who specializes in treatment of pelvic floor disorders. I think some of the other UK members have mentioned the names of some good physiotherapists in the UK.

It's important to take the antibiotic as prescribed by the doc but keep in mind that antibiotics have anti-inflammatory properties http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801304/
so you they may make you feel better temporarily even if you don't have an infection.

Since your symptoms are quite bothersome you don't have to put all of your eggs into one basket and take just one doc's word for it. It can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of pelvic pain and sometimes it's a matter of trial and error until you figure out the cause of your symptoms and what works for you. You will get there eventually so hang in there are keep fighting until you get this sorted out.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
travelisdangerous

I've been thinking about it and talking to some close friends and I'm completely sure that the cause was the drunken sex, I kept missing the vagina constantly but still continuing and I remember that I felt some pain at the time and decided not to continue.

If it is nerve damage is there a chance the nerve could heal if I'm extra careful? I'm almost certain its nerve damage as I keep feeling itchy everywhere and have a pins and needles feeling. What do you think?
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

travelisdangerous:

I agree with the posts above, get seen by professionals and they can see what is going on.

In my opinion, PN falls into three categories.

1. Impact, trauma, pregnancy, or other injury cause damage to the PN or surrounding area. Even with minor irritants, when repetitive, entrapment can occur. This included cycling, motorbike, horseback, and any other activity impacting the PN.

2. Genetic disposition as to how your specific body is "wired" with the nerved and ligaments increase susceptibility to where impact is not necessary to compress the PN.

3. A combination of both 1 and 2.

My first PN symptoms happened at about your age, and it took another 12 years to get bad.

IF and I mean a very big IF, it is PN then you have discovered it much earlier than most of us had. You have read up and now understand what PN is. Study the symptoms of PN and just be aware of them IF this continues.

I would not worry about it, get checked and hopefully it is something common. If it is not, you are already ahead of the game.

I wish you all the best.

Blight
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
ezer

Post by ezer »

travelisdangerous, you can't jump to conclusions. You absolutely need to be examined by an experienced urologist that can work logically from a differential list to eliminate all possibilities. At this stage you cannot dismiss the infection (after all you had a STD) or non-bacterial prostatitis route (major stress). But there are so many other possibilities like varicoceles etc.
Catastrophic thinking will also increase the pain your brain is perceiving. If you have done yoga breathing or practiced meditation, use that now.

PN is not very plausible. From what you have described, you could have affected the dorsal nerve of the penis. It does not explain at all why you feel pins and needles in your abdomen.

Please take that azithromycin as prescribed. I had epididymitis (infection of the testicles) 20 years ago and it took 3 tries to find the right antibiotic.
Is it possible for you to get referred soon or see privately right now an experienced urologist?
Charles555nc

Post by Charles555nc »

Hernias can cause pain at the abdomen, and some of those can refer pain to the groin. illio-inguinal nerve, illio hypogastric, and the genitofemoral nerves can be pinched by hernias. But PNE can cause your muscles to go into spasm to protect you from further damage.
travelisdangerous

Why does it not explain the pins and needles sensation? And I agree, I think I did something to the dorsal nerve. I will hopefully see a urologist soon to see if they think there is anything going on.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”