Has anyone had high hamstring pain along with PN symptoms?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
ezer

Re: Has anyone had high hamstring pain along with PN symptom

Post by ezer »

Stephanie,
That has been a complete mystery to me. There is no mention whatsoever in the surgery report of the ligaments. But I had assumed naively that by decompressing towards the alcock's canal, he had to go by the ligaments. Based on your report, it looks like he did nothing and only mucked with my piriformis. What a sinister and costly joke. Unbelievable.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
DakotaGirl

Post by DakotaGirl »

I am so sorry for all that you have been through. It sickens me. I feel zero trust in any of my health care providers now. I don't want to even try seeking help. My company discontinued subsidizing the insurance I once had (becasue I am part time) and the new insurance is so cost prohibitive that I can't afford to pay the premiums and eat/pay the mortgage.
So anything i was working on ie, my cervical herniated disc with shoulder impingement, my stenosis in lumbar spine, my Labral tear and fai impingement and the pn will be part of my daily life. And we don't qualify for any insurance that is better/less expensive because we both work and fall above the poverty guidelines.
Thanks to anyone who tried to help. Best to you all. DG
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

DG I understand why you would feel jaded about the docs. I've been to some who were very upsetting but there are some good ones out there who really do care. It sounds like you have more than one thing going on which really complicates things but that's the way it often is with PN. You might be interested in reading some of Lernica's posts. She hasn't posted lately since she is doing well now but there is a lot of good info in her posts. Take care.
Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

So Ezer, you had surgery and really have no idea what was done by the doctor. Shameful. I thought about re-doing my MRN with Filler this past summer (to compare to the results of an MRI done in May) and when I called his office they told me I needed to submit to him all other imaging (reports and CDs) I have had done in the past 2 years. If the MRN technology is legit and superior and Dr. Filler is evaluating the images and making treatment decisions based on his images, WHY would he need to refer to another doctor's work? Isn't that what he is being paid (out of pocket) to do, based on his supposed expertise???

DG, please try not to get discouraged and keep plugging away. Hopefully you will find some answers soon. There are some doctors and physical therapists who will listen and help, you just need to find them. I apologize that this thread veered in a different direction. My best to you.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Stephanie, indeed. I just read the report again. It describes in minute details what has been done to the piriformis but gets more and more vague for the rest. It mentions several times the extensive neuroplasty needed because of the dense adhesion of the pudendal nerve. In regards to the MRN that he invented, it seems that he does not rely on it to guide his own surgery. It defies comprehension.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Dakota Girl,
I also had similar symptoms as you. My came almost immediately following pelvic surgery where the doctor used mesh and attached it to my sacrum (without telling me). I have spondylolisthesis at L-5, S-1.... So I would have NEVER agreed to surgery that would impact that area. Long story short, I had the mesh removed because I was in so much pain. The symptoms continued.......mostly around my ischial tuberosity and sacrotuberous ligament. I kept telling the PT that my pain was centered around the sacrotuberous ligament and the area at my sit bone and the top of my thigh. I went to Vienna because I had the Potter MRI that showed entrapment of the dorsal nerve to the clitoris and perineal branch of the pudendal nerve, but Dr. Aszmann found that my right sacrotuberous ligament was much thicker than my left. My nerve was entrapped between the ligaments. I am better, but not out of the woods yet. The good news is my right ST ligament (surgery side) does not hurt anymore. It is very stable ( I also had SI joint dysfunction). I still have SI issues on the left, but I am working with a great PT.

I guess I just wanted to say....don't give up. It seems we have all had bad experiences with doctors who don't care, but there are good ones out there. You just have to keep looking. It also seems we all experience other issues to contend with when you have PN....so it takes A LOT of patience and perseverance. I hope you can find a way to get help from a GOOD doctor and pelvic PT, and that you can find medication, acupuncture, walking or something that can help ease your pain. I take neurontin, and I also find acupuncture and meditation helps with my pain.

Good luck and take care.
Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
saffron

Post by saffron »

Hi DakotaGirl-

I wanted to suggest a few things that have helped me since I know we are in the same boat regarding having a tough time taking medication. Have you tried a 5% Lidocaine pain patch or a menthol gel called Biofreeze? Those two things have brought some relief to my hips and hamstring. Since those both go on topically, it would be very rare to have any reaction. If you want to try a few patches before getting a prescription, please pm me and I can send you some of mine.

Hope you are feeling better!
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Hi DG,

If topical meds can help, it is a good idea to try them. For me, the Lidocaine patches would produce a burning feeling, worse than my original pain. I didn't realize that some people have this reaction to lidocaine, so just be aware that if it hurts more, you should not keep doing it. I knnow it makes sense but it took me too long to figure out!

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
DakotaGirl

Post by DakotaGirl »

Hi Saffron, yes I do use lidocaine patches all the time and I get no burning from them but not a lot of pain relief. I also had bio freeze but that does cause some burning. I appreciate your input as I know we are in the same boat medication wise. (Poor metabolizers)
Stephane thank you for the warning.
Most of the intolerable intractable pain is too deep,for topical treatment. I feel I am on a road to nowhere at this point as now I am suffering with tailbone/rectal pain on my good side. I don't understand it.
My ONLY and I mean only hope is the internal pt who may be able to answer some questions. I saw her once and was left with the excruciating hamstring/ piriformis pain but she is knowledgable, goes easy and all I have left. I asked Dr. Conway's office for vaginal valium to help with the sessions.
Gabapentin is making me have bad dreams and not sleeping well so the pain dr suggested lyrica. I feel that won't be any better as far as me being able to tolerate it. All I do is pace the floor because I can't sit and then cry out of sheer exhaustion. I fear losing my job. . My symptoms seem atypical. DG
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

DG, I think some people have had less side effects with lyrica than gabapentin. Clonazepam was a good sleep aid for me at night. Maybe that along with lyrica would be worth trying?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”