Can anybody help in Wales / in general

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
xcht

Can anybody help in Wales / in general

Post by xcht »

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female from the UK. I had a positive pudendal nerve block with Dr Greenslade in Bristol and Dr Wong now wants to go on to surgically release the nerve. I don't want to go ahead with this straight away, as although I've tried manipulation and acupuncture, I want to try some physical therapy. Is there anyone in Wales that someone can recommend or anywhere relatively close? Or any advice you can give me please.
Alan1646

Re: Can anybody help in Wales / in general

Post by Alan1646 »

May I suggest that you do a search of these forums, using the search box at the top right of the page, to find accounts by other patients who have had decompression surgery at Bristol
There have been quite a few over the past three or four years. For example, you could read the account of the two people on this page:
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... 8&start=30
You might also read this thread: http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... y&start=10

You might consider getting a second opinion, perhaps from Dr Baranowski at the National Hospital for Neurology.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I strongly advise you to get a second opinion, and I would strongly advice against surgery at Bristol. The UK just does not do enough of these......really do your resaerch as surgery really is the last option.......but if it's a route you definately want to pursue then go to France for a diagnosie to a Professor Robert in Nantes.....they are the experts, yes the Bristol team so called learnt from there but it is not the same.
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

If you are thinking of physiotherapy I would suggest you try Dr Ruth Jones. She is based in Eastleigh (which is between Winchester and Southampton) but people travel from all over the UK to see her as she is an expert in her field. Even if you feel the distance is too much it is worth contacting her as she might be able to recommend someone nearer to you, though there are very few physios in the UK with her knowledge and expertise. Her mobile number is 07590043684 and clinic number 02380612166. I have been seeing her for over a year and she has helped me enormously and I believe there are other people in this forum who have seen her.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Geraldine
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

There is a lady on this forum called PositivePoppy - she had surgery in Bristol which has not served her well and if my memory is correct she is now seeing a physio in Cardiff.
xcht

Post by xcht »

Thanks for the reply everyone. No I'm really skeptical about the surgery. I contacted Ruth Jones and she was really lovely. She suggested somebody in Cardiff but she was out of my area and I wasn't able to be referred on the NHS so in going to go ahead and see Ruth. Thanks again
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi I have not posted on the forum for ages but reading your post regarding surgery then felt compelled to share. I had bilateral TGsurgery in bristol and you are more than welcome to read my posts. Sadly it did not work for me and I'm convinced has caused me the painful pelvic instability I now suffer from on a daily basis. I know surgery has worked for others and although Mr Wong has been really supportive I was completely cut off from Mr greenslade after surgery and was told by his sec that I was no longer his patient. There was no aftercare after surgery and I was left to research how best to heal and cope.
Please be careful and definitely get a second opinion as the surgery is tough and can cause additional problems.
I have tried lots of therapies, internal, external physio, hydrotherapy, amatsu, gentle swimming and a plethora of meds.
I now walk permanently with the aid of a stick but do find gentle swimming beneficial and still on meds. Prior to PNE I was a full time teacher enjoying the gym at least four times a week.
Listen to those around you that love and care for you, I was too hot headed and rushed into surgery and now been forced to retire from teaching on grounds of I'll health at the tender age of 42yrs.
It is certainly not all gloom and doom but I do wish everyday I had explored more conservative options and not had surgery.
I wish you all the best and hope you make the right decision for you .
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

I'm really sorry to read about your experience Poppy. I would urge anyone considering surgery to get a second opinion. I was warned by Dr Baranowski that an operation risked making matters worse.
There are many other approaches to try before taking such a drastic and risky step, including the mindbody method.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell

Return to “UK & IRELAND”