piriformis question

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
ezer

Re: piriformis question

Post by ezer »

Sorry, here it is:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/456165-clinical

Medscape - Nonbacterial Prostatitis
Jun 26, 2013

Medscape is a web resource for physicians and health professionals

Author
Sunil K Ahuja, MD Department of Urology, Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center

Medical Education Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL
Internship Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL
Residency Tulane University Hospital and Clinics, New Orleans, LA

Sunil K Ahuja, MD is a member of the following medical societies: American Urological Association

Chief Editor
Edward David Kim, MD, FACS Professor of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine; Consulting Staff, University of Tennessee Medical Center

Edward David Kim, MD, FACS is a member of the following medical societies: American College of Surgeons, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, American Society of Andrology, American Urological Association, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, and Tennessee Medical Association

Additional Contributors
Peter Langenstroer, MD Associate Professor, Department of Urology, Medical College of Wisconsin

Peter Langenstroer, MD is a member of the following medical societies: American Urological Association
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
solarmom

Post by solarmom »

Hi,
Please let us know how it goes for you with the injections. My pudendal pain is all left-sided and my piriformis becomes hard as a rock. Massaging it myself will not cause pain but it does send tingling down the line of the pudendal nerve. I hear you about the stretches. Piriformis stretches were a VERY BAD IDEA and I can't stand foam rolling it.
I assume the muscle is compensating for my SIJD and have tried some light strengthening exercises so that rather than spasm it will be strong enough to help me stand all day to work. The anatomy section on HOPE indicates that the pudendal nerve runs under the piriformis.
For those with more knowledge of the anatomy, does spasm of the piriformis indicate lack of strength in a specific other set of muscles?

Hang in there joeparz!
ezer

Post by ezer »

I am not sure if the OP is still reading this thread but I think before considering injections and progressively more invasive procedures, he should explore the source of his prior anxiety.
None of the pudendal invasive procedures will help his co-morbid fibromyalgia and CFS that he described in his early posts IMO.

I was doing progressively better in the 2nd half of 2003 but then I had a relapse in January 2004. It is when I discovered PNE by searching the web. I was then diagnosed repeatedly with PNE by PN-aware doctors and in retrospect that label convinced me that there was something wrong that needed to be fixed. I had non-stop pain for the next 10 years.

Again, it is just my opinion, I have no medical qualification, and the OP should do what is best for himself.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
joeparz

Post by joeparz »

Hey guys

Had the injection a week from today and unfortunately it did nothing.

When they did the injection my piriformis i guess spasmed like crazy and the doctor was convinced i would feel better since she hit the exact spot of the trigger point. I actually felt the muscle go crazy when she found the spot.

But alas no relief :(

I am slowly getting worse, i was really hoping this was gonna help..........

Well....... i am running out of ideas and options now.

Hired a lawyer to help me with getting approved for disability as i am crippled basically now.

Hope all of you are feeling better and on your way back to life again.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sorry to hear things are going downhill for you Joe. Not sure what is the right option for you at this point but you do still have some options left. Most people eventually find something that helps so keep fighting and don't give up until you find what helps you. Hope you can get your disability payments approved since every little bit helps when you are going through this.

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”