mental effects on pain?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
pianogal

mental effects on pain?

Post by pianogal »

Hi,
Does anyone else have this happen to them?

When watching TV, if I see something painful (like someone being stabbed, a cat's claws being cut to the painful part, any pain creating situation or violent situation) and...

I instantly feel an increase rush to my pain area... right in my PNE pain area, it goes up 3 degrees for 5-10 seconds.

Bizarre, the mental aspect of pain?

Or muscles tightening when I see pain?

Happen to anyone else?
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
missyrg

Re: mental effects on pain?

Post by missyrg »

No, but I do tense up when I see painful things. I also change the channel quickly. I suggest you change the channel because you do not need more intense pain. Missy
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

This happens to me all the time.

I think when one is in so much pain, there is not much else the mind can fully concentrate on.
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

I have experienced this.
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Me too. Any type of violent negative image does this to me, or even graphic views of bodies in the morgue etc. My husband likes to watch cop shows such as "the closer". I close my eyes or concentrate on knitting to escape the worst of it. there is no doubt about the mind/body connection related to the pain experience.
Jeanie
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

This happens to me too...sort of. I get a nervous feeling in my PN area. Kinda like that sick feeling you get when you think you've done somthing wrong. Hard to explain the feeling, but it's definitely there. BTW, I close my eyes during the bad parts too!

Emily B.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I get that same kind of "nervous" feeling in my pelvis too, but it seems to be whenever I feel stressed and not just when I see something painful on TV or somewhere. Once again I thought I was crazy!

Nick
Weeks to Months long episodes of pelvic pain that go in to remission since 2002. Primary complaint is constant rectal pain.
Diagnosed with Pudendal Neuropathy by Dr. Antolak Dec. 2010. Now using self-care.
Currently trying to find cause of neuropathy. Trying chiropractic treatment to address misaligned pelvis and trying to rule out other causes for pain before taking next steps in PN treatment.
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Wow, amazing! Thanks everybody for writing back so quickly! This is really amazing. I wonder if people who have pain in areas OTHER than their pelvis have similar reactions to viewing pain, or if it's only the pelvis. Since, the pelvis is fueled by nerves that are supposed to respond positively to emotional stimuli, one could theorize that the pelvis when messed up responds to negative emotional stimuli badly. Or, if people with all kinds of pains get this, then the mind/body connection is a generic given. I will have to ask some other people w/different pains in different locations of their bodies if this happens to them as well.

Amazing how many people responded with a yes so quickly!
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
abmia22

Post by abmia22 »

Haha no, but anytime I see a sex scene on tv or a beautiful woman the pain increases. It's like its reminding me I can't have that life anymore.
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

I find that I'm easily scared or "jumpy" when I'm in a flare for some reason. When I'm not in a flare and am asymptomatic I don't have that kind of reaction. My pain definitely will get worse if I'm in a stressful situation.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”