Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
pizzarios

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by pizzarios »

Violet,

Thank you so much. I will most definitely be taking my recovering seriously - most of the stories I've heard of ppl having "failed" surgeries for this also report not taking it easy or following PT protocol.

I will post back again after a while - and hopefully have something good to report.

Best of luck to all of you

<3
Not officially diagnosed. Pain began following MANY typical pn causing activities.
Intermittent IC type pain started 5/20/2012
Urologist said IC - did diet, meds etc with no improvement
Constant pn type pain and burning started 7/1/2012
Gp rx gabapentin & lidocaine, no improvement
Started PT 7/23/2012. pelvic MRI that showed osteitis pubis. PT miofascial on inguinal & psoas, pn pain greatly reduced. hip joint/lumbar pain started. 12/20/2012 - Hip MRA shows labral damage.
Haze

PLEASE help me!!!!l

Post by Haze »

Does anybody have any insight into PN pain. After my surgery (hysterectomy) 1 year ago, I have had burning and pinching in the vaginal area and rectum. Sitting is very uncomfortable.

Does this last forever? I am so discouraged.

PLEASE HELP!

Haze
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Haze, I can't say if it will last forever but by now you should have healed from the hysterectomy. Have you seen a PT who specializes in chronic pelvic pain?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Hey everyone, brand new to the site and thought I’d post my story.

Firstly, a little about me: I’m a 28 year old male living in the DC area who, up until really the past year or so, was very physically active (ran a marathon, was in the gym lifting 5 days a week).

About 2+ years ago I started having this tight, uncomfortable feeling in the perineum area while sitting. It was okay in the morning, but would get much worse as the day went on. Went to tons of docs, two of which thought I had Prostatitis, and as a result was put on all kinds of very strong antibiotics for 6+ months that obviously did nothing.

The symptoms began to really impede sexual and urinary function… I would have to really concentrate on relaxing everything to urinate, it was difficult to get erections, and when I did it was difficult to ejaculate… felt like everything down there was just far too tight to function properly.

Then I started having general GI symptoms (bloating, feelings of constipation). Had a full GI workup (endoscopy, colonoscopy), everything but a test for bacterial overgrowth (which I still may do). Everything checked out fine. It was also around this time that I started having general abdominal muscle pain… it felt like I had just done a very intense ab workout, even though all I had done was sit at my desk.

At this point I decided to seek out a Physical Therapist for some pelvic floor therapy. I worked with her for a while, and things got slightly better, but no significant improvement. I happened to mention one little thing in passing to her about my left hip, and as she began to look at it, she thought there really was something there to investigate. She sent me down the hall to another Therapist that specialized in hips. She suggested I get an MRI of my left hip. I was skeptical, as I’ve never had any kind of pain in that hip (but I did have some general knee pain, and that whole leg really felt more achy in general after a run), but low and behold, the MRI showed a hip impingement (FAI, both cam and pincer), and a torn labrum. Both my physical therapists are pretty confident that this could finally be the root cause of all of my symptoms, pain, and discomfort.

I’m having surgery to repair the hip about a month from now, so really for the first time ever I have some significant hope, especially after finding this site and reading these stories…

Thoughts???? Questions???? To me, my hip being all jacked up makes sense as a possible root cause of everything, but then again, I have lost almost all ability to be objective about my own health, as I just want this over with… I mean come on, I’m a decent-looking (I’d like to think) single guy in the prime of his life, and dating (let alone simply going to a movie, going out to eat, sitting at work comfortably all day) is basically impossible haha!

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with everyone!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Jake,

Just wanted to wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. I'm not much of an expert when it comes to hips but hopefully Lernica's previous posts will help you out in that area. I know there's a hip chicks forum that's supposed to have a bunch of information on it but I don't know if there are any guys posting over there or how comfortable you would be with going on a "chicks" forum.

Any idea how your hip got messed up? Are you one of those crazies like me who likes to exercise and tends to overdo it a little? :oops: Just wondered cause you mentioned the abs workout and running.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Hey Violet, thanks for the reply.

I may check out that 'Hip Chicks' forum, I'm not shy... after being poked and prodded by quite a few doctors and physical therapists, you really kind of lose that whole shyness thing!

No one specific incident I can think of that messed up my hip, but my current theory is that I had a limited range of motion and I tore my labrum at some point, and throughout my running and Olympic lifting in the gym nearly every day, I just compensated for the hip until my muscles/ligaments/whatever couldn't compensate any more and I started having pain in the groin/pelvic floor/lower abs/perineum. I feels like that's what it is anyway. So my hope is that I get this hip fixed, and then restore the strength that should be there to begin with, and things will settle into place eventually.

And here I thought all this exercising would make me crazy-healthy and keep me feeling great! haha.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Yes, I know what you mean, Jake. ;) I've been down that exercise road too but never even close to the Olympics. :lol: Anyway, good luck with the surgery and I would be very interested to hear how it goes for you.

Violet
beverley

Post by beverley »

I haven't been on here in a while but I thought I would post an update. I am two years post FAI/CAM surgery on my right hip. After initially getting better I got worse when I resumed physical activity (way too soon but with my surgeon's blessing and with inadequate PT). Maybe if i had received better PT i would have healed after the surgery but i will never know. At this point I don't think the surgery helped me and in fact made me weaker and i got worse. I still have psoas tendinosis. I think if I had addressed the tendinosis with specific targeted PT I could have avoided the surgery but i was told the surgery would cure my tendinosis. I have come to realized that my psoas injury is irritating the Genital Femeral/Ilioinguinal nerves - one of which runs through the Psoas and both end in the clitoris and vulva. Through a lot of PT with an amazing therapist (regular -- not pelvic floor) I have started to get better. I discovered that I had scoliosis and I am addressing that through PT as well. I have also been doing Iyengar yoga which has helped me tremendously and have been getting body work done to address issues in my back. The last thing I am considering doing since i have already had three cortisone injections into the psoas tendon (which is about the limit of what is recommended) is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). I am hoping this long journey will be coming to an end soon!!
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Beverly
Im so glad you're seeing improvement but sorry for the long road and surgery you've had to endure.
It seems as we try all these things, and eventually the thing that helps is something we may "stumble upon"..
I too had labral terar repair on the right side at the advice of my doctor who really thought it could help/
It didn't ....in fact during my rehab for that, I gradually went downhill in my sitting ability and by the end of the rehab I needed hubby to drive me there.
I have have a very tight Psoas muscle, and have been told that several times.
BTW what is FAI/CAM/ ? I have seem these terms mentioned several times , but was unsure if they related to labral tear repair.
I have had been told my mom that posture wasn't great growing up (another similar issue ) but never have been diagnosed with Scoliosis. Ive wondered if the posture relates at all and do my best to stand up straight.

I have a great Pelvic floor PT currently after seeing several in the pastThis one explains things thoroughly and knows the anatomy very well. She believes I have severe pelvic floor dysfunction and a central nervous system that needs to be re-wired after coping with years of pain --both bladder and sitting issues.
I will mention Psoas work and my postural issues at the next session.
About Platelet Rich Plasma. could you please post if you decide to do it.. I consulted with a doctor about it several years ago, but didn't do it..
Thanks and best of luck in your continuing progress
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Beverly,

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a setback. It's been kind of up and down for you but I hope your current treatments will prove effective for you in the future.

Best,

Violet

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”