Elliptical and/or Piriformis Stretch as Cause of PN.PNE

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
wannagetbetter

Elliptical and/or Piriformis Stretch as Cause of PN.PNE

Post by wannagetbetter »

Could using an elliptical machine for 30 minutes 3 times a week cause PN? How about PNE?
If it can cause PN would ceasing its use help resolve the PN?

Could doing a big piriformis stretch cause PN? How about PNE?
If it can cause PN could the PN resolve if I cease the stretch?

Thanks.
stephanies

Re: Elliptical and/or Piriformis Stretch as Cause of PN.PNE

Post by stephanies »

My PN pain returned after having been almost completely resolved for several years after I placed a massage ball under my piriformis. I suggest stopping both the stretches and the elliptical and seeing what happens, maybe your pain will lessen or resolve. I don't think it is possible to know for sure at this point.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
April

Post by April »

Wanna,

I believe my pn was caused (or, at least triggered) by intense exercising on a step machine. I started a new intense exercise routine in early January and within about 4-6 weeks symptoms gradually developed, and within a few months, I had an intense burning sensation most of the time. So, I agree with Stephanies's recommendation to discontinue both the elliptical and the stretching to see if that helps. My pain declined after I stopped exercising.

April
desperate

Post by desperate »

I too agree with the last two posts. Refrain from doing both. I too have a piriformis problem and I notice that everytime I stretch it or do the elliptical I get a lot worse. For the most part I would suggest just walking. I tried doiing the elliptical for a week straight and I got worse when I did this. Lately I went back to the piriformis stretch and sadly I am in a pretty bad flare. It is strange. No one knows really what the right thing to do for PN is. Stretch to reduce the compression or leave it alone and give the nerve time to heal first. It is really a slippery slope.

I have been battling this for a year and a half now and I still haven't found out what is right. To stretch or not to stretch. That is the question (hmmm, another thread post I suppose).

-Dom
Pudendal pain started in Feb 2014. Potter MRI- useless findings (dont waste your money), tried pelvic floor pt, ART, Trigenics, Osteopathic treatment, fascial work, Massage, Shockwave, world renown chiros, osteopaths and PTs, stretching bla bla. Nothing helped but shockwave (which was short lived) and one world renown chiro that is a douchebag because he cant treat me again. All in all, God is the only one who can lead your path.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Using the elliptical and stretching made me worse.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
solarmom

Post by solarmom »

My pain started after heavy lifting last summer and bcame the worst when I did streching of the piriformis.
wannagetbetter

Post by wannagetbetter »

This is frustrating. Amy Stein's book recommends the deep squats and piriformis stretches. Plus my own pelvic PT said the elliptical would be good for blood flow. Arghhhh!
I now have constant severe vulvar burning (used to be moderate but then went away) and bad burning with urination.
solarmom

Post by solarmom »

For what it is worth, my approach over the last few months is to try to strengthen my glutes via gentle exercises, with some light stretches between. This was under the assumption that some muscle was tensing to take the load because others were too weak. I think it has helped somewhat, especially with standing for long periods.
wannagetbetter

Post by wannagetbetter »

Solarmom- Would you tell me what glute exercises and light stretches you were doing? Thanks.
Trish

Exercises and Activities to Avoid?

Post by Trish »

I play tennis three days a week for one and a half to two hours. Been playing serious tennis most of my life. Now I have this PN problem but have not considered that my passion for tennis was a negative factor. Now, should I reconsider one of the things I love as being a cause of my pain?
Last edited by Trish on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”