When nerve dies

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Vjera

When nerve dies

Post by Vjera »

I was wondering what happens if pudendal nerve dies and is it possible that such important nerve become completely unfunctional?

I'm not trying to be pesimistic but what if you have pudendal neuralgia or PNE wich doesn't improve with lifestyle changes, PT, medication or surgery and there is no way for pudendal nerve to heal? What then?
Violet M

Re: When nerve dies

Post by Violet M »

Well if the nerve is completely non-functional you would have bladder and bowel incontinence and no sensation in the distribution area of the nerve. I've not heard of that happening with anyone but I suppose it's possible. There is some overlap between areas served by the pelvic nerves so I don't know if some of the other nerves would still provide you with some function/sensation.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Vjera

Post by Vjera »

Thank you Violet for your reply.

I didn't hear either that someone had that situation but I know one person who had surgery for entrapment and after operation the doctor said that the left side of the nerve was almost dead?! So I'm scared that if you don't find or have treatment that helps you that the nerve will eventually die.

In my country we don't have single doctor who is familiar with PN. Also we don't have oportunity to have PT for pudendal neuralgia, no one does nerve blocks etc. So I wonder what are my options? I started good and healthy diet, avoiding sitting and exercising ( only walking) and taking vitamin D3 and magnesium glycinate but what if that isn't enough?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

It's impossible to predict for sure whether nerve damage will get worse or if your symptoms will remain the same. I have known people who had mild symptoms for many years and didn't get worse but other people did get worse. Sorry, I can't answer your question for sure.

I hope the things you are trying will be helpful. ;)

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”