PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Laurina

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by Laurina »

Hang in there, Nesssieee. Many women suddenly develop an urge to urinate almost 24 hr/day. Others feel like their is an object in their vagina, especially while sitting.
I would encourage you to at least see a qualified physical therapist to assess for muscle tightness and to give you exercises to practice at home to relax your pelvic floor... Having some good days in a row is also encouraging, your body can get back to that state, but you need to discover your triggers and how to bring back calm to yourself so things can relax and let go.
Sending you virtual hugs.
Nesssieee

Post by Nesssieee »

I don't feel an urge to urinate 24/7 but when I do need to pee it makes my symptoms worse until I can relieve myself! I don't feel an object. I just feel like I'm constantly pushing down.

Yeah I'm going to the dr at some point in the week since the hospital still haven't got back to me. I definitely don't think this is a long term problem but it will take time to heal. On my good days I spent most of the day not paying any attention at all to my symptoms and I felt normal again! It's just so strange!

thanks for all your support Laurina. It really helps me a lot.

Hugs.
whatislife

Post by whatislife »

Is there like a medication thats not prescribed that could help me sleep through this bullshit? I've been having a hard time sleeping at night,thats why.

Best,
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Maybe you could try a muscle relaxant/anti-anxiety med like Valium or Ativan. It can help calm down your central nervous system and may be able to help you sleep.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Laurina

Post by Laurina »

If you are looking for something natural to help calm your nervous system and something for sleep, check with a health food store and inquire about camomille tea, valerian root and/or melatonin.
whatislife

Post by whatislife »

I have a question.

Could ultrasounds, mri's, ct-scans, and whatever scans there are detect anything irregular?
Laurina

Post by Laurina »

An MRI of the sacrum can show if there are Tarlov cysts pressing against nerves in that area. An MRN (magnetic resonance neurography) of the pelvis can show if the pudendal nerve has scarring. Both of these conditions can contribute to pgad symptoms.
Leah

Post by Leah »

Is Lyrica a good medicine for this ? I've been told to get it by my doctor but my parents are like the side effects are too much and are looking into other less harmful alternatives.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Leah,

Lyrica helps some people. I took a related drug called gabapentin but it did not help the PGAD. I had a significant reduction in symptoms of PGAD by taking an SSRI antidepressant called lexapro. The problem is, you don't know until you try a drug whether it is going to help or not and there is always a risk that has to be weighed against the benefit. For me the benefit of taking the drug was huge because it kept me from going insane. Once the PGAD subsided after my PNE surgery, I was able to slowly wean off the drug over the course of a year. It's not a good idea to just suddenly quit taking them -- you have to cut back slowly.
whatislife wrote:Is there like a medication thats not prescribed that could help me sleep through this bullshit? I've been having a hard time sleeping at night,thats why.

Best,
Clonazepam was a great drug for helping me get some sleep at night. Some people have found Soma helpful.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Leah

Post by Leah »

Is there a perm solution :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hate lyrica

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”