Advice on incontinence

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
solarmom

Advice on incontinence

Post by solarmom »

Hi
I have what I believe is PN since fall 2014. I am pretty sure this due to lifting after being predisposed thru bad posture and SI joint dysfunction. I noticed numbness in my urethra when biking that summer then later had a stabbing pain in my left sitbone after sitting for a long time. I tried muscle relaxants and hydrocodone. I finally saw a pelvic pt and she helped with the sitbone but went too far when she worked rectally and I ended up with the 'golfball' in the rectum sensation. I had a caudal injection which helped with that but it is still agonizing to sit or have Bm. If I try to sit too long I end up with pgad symptoms and burning in my urethra.

I have been managing by avoiding sitting, taking low doses of gabapentin to sleep at night and going to pelvic pt. I stand to work and try to do short walks to relieve tightness near my tailbone.
My bm issues have become more manageable but l recently started to have more urinary leakage. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad sign? I can't really figure out why things changed- have been laying in bed with my legs up more often.
It really hurts to wear pads- like sandpaper. What do others wear for urinary leakage?

Best wishes to all of you - feels like the docs are clueless with this condition.
My confidence in modern medicine has been shattered by all of this.
nyt

Re: Advice on incontinence

Post by nyt »

There could be several contributory factors to increased urinary leakage. If your constipation is still a problem that will make leakage worse. Most individuals think of weak pelvic floor muscles as why women develop urinary leakage which is true in many cases but a tight (hypertonic) pelvic floor can also cause urinary leakage.

If you can't stand the sensation of wearing pads there are disposal underpants made by the same companies that make the urinary incontinence pads you might find comfortable to wear.

A pelvic floor PT should be able to give you some insight into what are the contributory factors for your urinary leakage.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”