Postmenopausal bleeding after pn nerve block

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Cintapoppy

Postmenopausal bleeding after pn nerve block

Post by Cintapoppy »

Hi, sorry i didn't want to hijack someone else thread but inadvertantly did.

I just wondered how many of you experienced postmenopausal bleeding after a pn nerve block. i did and i know another member asked the same question. I am 9 years post menopausal and started bleeding 2 weeks after the nerve block. Had a hysteroscopy which was clear. After the nerve block i felt quite unwell, abdominal pain (which was a new symptom) and what i can only describe as really bad PMT although i didn't realise that it was PMT. I felt really aggressive, and lost my rag over the slightest thing, shouting and losing my temper. I wasn't like that before the injection! And I am still not right, everything is just too much and i get far more burning pains in my bum, abdomen and private parts than i did before. My pain has now spread to the right side whereas before it was only ever on the left. It also seems to affect the lumbar spine and my sacrum is burning every day.

Could any of this be due to my body not tolerating nerve blocks? Any feedback much appreciated as i need to make a decision as to whether or not to have any more nerve blocks. I was due to have one tomorrow but put my back out on Sunday so bad sciatica and can't travel the long distance. But it would be good to find out whther the steroid injection could cause the bleed and increase in symptoms as i don't want to mess the hospital around and need to make a decision. Thank you all.
Violet M

Re: Postmenopausal bleeding after pn nerve block

Post by Violet M »

I've known some people who were really sensitive to the steroids in the nerve blocks. Can't say if that's what the problem is for you but something to consider. Can't remember if I've heard of postmenopausal bleeding from nerve blocks though. I'm not too keen on getting lots of nerve blocks because I know people who got worse from them. It's not common but it happens.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Cintapoppy

Post by Cintapoppy »

Thanks for your reply! I did get worse afterwards and everything has just felt 'raw' along the sacrum etc and since the injection i haven't been the same. So maybe i can't tolerate steroid injections. How on earth do I tell the consultant?? Does anyone know of other injections than can be given that don't contain steroids. The first injection was fine (although very painful) but i didn't get the raw feeling afterwards. Now i can barely sit and the injection was 2.5 months ago.
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

I am still menstruating, but I can tell you my body is very sensitive to steroids. I had an injection into my shoulder joint and experienced changes in my menstrual cycle (which has always been very regular).

Emily B.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

You can get injections with just marcaine in them without the steroid but they only last a few hours so would mostly be for diagnostic purposes. The reason for the steroid is to decrease inflammation in order to provide more permanent results but it can have side effects.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kathleencjustice

Post by kathleencjustice »

Thank you for sharing these information.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”