I had less pain with Lorazepam - how come?

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Vogel1

I had less pain with Lorazepam - how come?

Post by Vogel1 »

Hi there,

my pudendal pain is an on and off thing, like 2 months just little pain mosty while sitting, after years of suffering this grade is ignorable for me.
But then, from one day to another, the pain picks up an may last for 1, 2 or more weeks, with increasing pain level. Not longer to be ignored.

This pain pattern startet 4 years ago and since then I have been trying to monitor if there is a cause, a trigger that starts the pain again.
So far I only tested Lyrica and a low dose opiate for a short time, but both did not help and as there are weeks with little or no pain I would rather take a medication when the pain is "on" instead of taking the pills years through.

A friend suggested to try some Loracepam, 1mg, that had helped him with another nerve problem. I was sceptical as this drug is prescribed for other health issues. But still I did try 1 tablet when I wanted to go to the theater and had before a very bad day, not able to think of sitting 3 hours late at night. But: the sitting pain receded to an ignorable level and I felt really better.

Interesting was, that I had no other effect of the substance, nothing different with my head od body.

HAS ANYONE tried Loracepam/ Tavor and with what results?

Cheers, Andrea
nonsequitur

Re: I had less pain with Lorazepam - how come?

Post by nonsequitur »

It is a benzo therefore acts as a muscle relaxant and anxiety inhibitor (anxyolitic). Try it again but I somehow doubt that it will keep working as well long term.
We are all sensitive to the placebo effect also so you can't discount that aspect. It is an unconscious process.

But if it works reliably then it is great. Who cares about the mechanism of action.
“Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.”
S.Freud
stephanies

Re: I had less pain with Lorazepam - how come?

Post by stephanies »

I have taken 1 mg. of lorazepam at night since a few weeks after my pain began 2 1/2 years ago. It helps me tremendously most nights. I have read it has some pain relieving qualities, some anti-seizure properties, and it is also a CNS depressant. I can do things after 10 pm with much less pain than during the day. It seems to wear off after about 4 hours as I feel the pain creep back in if I am not asleep by midnight-1 AM. I can't try it during the day because I cannot afford to be sleepy.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”