Tens help

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
stcyt123

Tens help

Post by stcyt123 »

Hi all

Has anyone had success with a tens unit. My doc is headed towards a spinal cord stimulator but it seems like i ought to try tens first
How is tens different frim spinal cord stimulator?

So far i have tried
PT
Nerve blocks
Trigger point injections
I cant take most meds, currently having some success with valium

Next stop SCS. Am i missing some less invasive options?

Can anyone recomend a good unit for me? It looks like there is lots to choose from.

Thanks
paulette

Re: Tens help

Post by paulette »

Success with a TENS unit does not guarantee success with a stimulator. In fact, I derive much more relief from the TENS unit than I did the neurostimulator or the interstim.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Many insurance companies will pay for a TENS unit. You might want to see if your insurance company covers one that way they will tell you which brand and vendor to go through. The pads that you need to go with the TENS unit, some are disposal and some are reusable and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Some insurance companies will pay for the TENS unit pads or they will limit the number you can have each month.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

stcyt123 wrote:Hi all

Has anyone had success with a tens unit. My doc is headed towards a spinal cord stimulator but it seems like i ought to try tens first
How is tens different frim spinal cord stimulator?

So far i have tried
PT
Nerve blocks
Trigger point injections
I cant take most meds, currently having some success with valium

Next stop SCS. Am i missing some less invasive options?

Can anyone recomend a good unit for me? It looks like there is lots to choose from.

Thanks
TENS unit did not help before my PNE surgery but it helped significantly after surgery to calm down the OI and piriformis muscles. Read this thread to see a description of how I used it.

http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =32&t=4015

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”