Nurse PN sufferers

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
Faith

Nurse PN sufferers

Post by Faith »

I was wondering how many people on the forum are nurses or in the medical field by profession. I have noticed several people say they are nurses and I find that interesting especially how rare this condition is. I am an RN (critical care background). Having medical knowledge is helpful I guess, but sometimes I wish I didn't know so much :) So are there other nurses out there?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Re: Nurse PN sufferers

Post by Violet M »

Hi from another RN. I worked in med-surg and critical care and I'm still working as a nurse.

I'd never heard of PNE before I had it so everything I know about it I've learned through personal experience or through internet research (especially reading the PNE forums for 7 years!)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Stephanie P

Post by Stephanie P »

Hi, I am/was a NZRN with post grad experience in orthopaedics, paediatrics and coronary care. Atlthough I've moved into other areas, I still say once a nurse always a nurse ...
Pudendal neuralgia, diagosed as ischial bursitis, from 1985. Worsened by fall in 2003. Bilateral TG surgery in Nantes 2004. Nerve flattened both sides. No improvement, still cannot sit.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Nurses,
Has your PN experience had any kind of impact with your colleagues in raising awareness? Maybe diminishing misdiagnosis at the facilities you work for?
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

I'm an RN...I have seen lots on this board and don't think it's a coincidence. Many RN's wind up with bad backs and other injuries from lifting, moving, and bending over patients and I think it is also a risk factor for PN. This does not apply to me personally as I did most of my nursing career in the prison system which does not have the same physical demands as hospital care, home care, nursing homes, etc.
Now that I work with a Physical Therspist, I can tell you that profession is jacked up from working over patients' bodies all day for sure...we were doing demo's at an expo booth and I don't think we ran into a single Physical Therapist who didn't have some kind of chronic musculoskeletal problem.
I have found being in the nursing profession has helped me do research and be a self-advocate as I understand medical terminology; but I actually tend to hide my profession from Doctors at a 1st appointment. Many of them seem to think nurses are ignorant or something: I just seem to get better treatment when they think I am a layperson, not sure why. Have any other nurses noticed this?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
paulette

Post by paulette »

I also hide the fact that I am a registered nurse from doctors when I am first seen. I find that they do a better job of explaining things when they don't know I am a nurse. For instance, at one visit, my first spine surgeon kept referring to RF, and how unfortunate it was that it didn't work for me. Finally, I said, what in the world is RF? He acted like he couldn't believe I didn't know that meant radio frequency. Sorry, doc, but in pediatrics and nursing homes, we just don't run into that too often. Besides, in the rural area where I live, the procedure isn't even done.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Me too, I'm an RN with my area being maternal infant nursing. In my opinion it's not surprising that many of us are on this board as lifting patients is definitely an occupational hazard, plus I like to think we have a natural inclination to be interested in reading about health concerns and helping other people.

My first job was in labor and delivery and I liked to work with mothers who planned a natural childbirth. I also taught childbirth classes and found that once I got over being afraid of speaking in public I really enjoyed that even more. Within the first year of my career I hurt my back, got sciatica, and decided to transfer to the nursery, where the patients were certainly a lot lighter!

When my children were in school, I was lucky enough to find a teaching position at a local community college and began what was to become a 20 year career, moving to a 4 year BSN program after a few years.

During my time in labor and delivery, pudendal nerve blocks were used quite commonly as anesthesia for delivery. Sometimes they worked well and sometimes not so well. This was really my main knowledge of this nerve, and I often wish it was still all I know about it! And I did know the pelvic bony landmarks of course too. Little did I know that ischial spines and tuberosities were to feature in my future in such an unpleasant way!

Although I am now retired, one of the things on my "to do" list , when I am well enough is to present a class on PN/E to Women's Health Nurse Practitioner students to help to spread awareness about this condition. :idea:
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Faith

Post by Faith »

It's been so interesting reading all of the different experiences and areas of nursing specialty we have.
JeanieC wrote:lthough I am now retired, one of the things on my "to do" list , when I am well enough is to present a class on PN/E to Women's Health Nurse Practitioner students to help to spread awareness about this condition
That sounds like a great idea Jeanie. I have always wanted to do L&D.
HerMajesty wrote:I actually tend to hide my profession from Doctors at a 1st appointment. Many of them seem to think nurses are ignorant or something: I just seem to get better treatment when they think I am a layperson, not sure why. Have any other nurses noticed this?
It's interesting, sometimes doctors seem to really appreciate the fact that I am knowledgeable about my pain/condition and sometimes I can tell they are intimidated. I usually kind of "feel them out" before I let them know I am an RN, but sometimes I think they already know because of my questions asked :)
Stephanie P wrote:I am/was a NZRN with post grad experience in orthopaedics, paediatrics and coronary care.
What is a NZRN, Stephanie? Does that mean New Zealand?
Violet M wrote: I worked in med-surg and critical care and I'm still working as a nurse.
How much are you working now Violet? Did you have to take off a long time after your surgery?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Stephanie P

Post by Stephanie P »

Yes, Faith, NZ stands for New Zealand. I'm surprised so many nurses have PNE; I wonder if the heavy lifting is at least partly responsible? And yes, HerMajesty, I too tend to keep the fact that I was a nurse quiet at medical consultations, although invariably my use of medical terminology gives me away.
Pudendal neuralgia, diagosed as ischial bursitis, from 1985. Worsened by fall in 2003. Bilateral TG surgery in Nantes 2004. Nerve flattened both sides. No improvement, still cannot sit.
donstore

Post by donstore »

I'm an X-ray tech. Grateful to be on my feet all day. Don't know how I'd keep working if I was sitting in a cubicle.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”