some questions

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
senoz1

some questions

Post by senoz1 »

Hello everyone, is there a way to know whether the pudendal nerve is entrapped between ligaments or a ligament and a muscle? Does any kind of exercise or position can point to this? I was trying to have sex with my first boyfriend about 2 years ago and I was pretty stressed because of some problems between us. We had dry sex and when he was rubbing his penis really hard through my underpants I started experiencing incredible pain. And to this day I haven't found any relief. Can this kind of thing entrap a nerve? Please help, I'm trying so hard to stay calm, but I can't help but think my life is over because of a guy.
Violet M

Re: some questions

Post by Violet M »

There is an article written by the Nantes team that lists the criteria to look for that points toward a nerve entrapment. http://www.pudendalhope.info/sites/defa ... iteria.pdf

I had entrapment between the ligaments and the pain was primarily on one side. Also, in a pelvic exam if the examiner presses on the nerve at the ischial spine where the ligamental grip is and if that is really painful that could be suggestive of a nerve entrapment. Unilateral pain is one of the criteria mentioned in that article.

History is also important though. One vigorous sexual encounter doesn't typically cause severe pain so maybe there was already some other problem but the sexual encounter triggered the pain. Can you see a pelvic floor physical therapist for an evaluation? Someone who specializes in pudendal neuralgia?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
senoz1

Post by senoz1 »

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I actually read this article last night from a reply you wrote to someone else. But I just couldn't figure if obturator internus stretch, which causes entrapmant between a ligament and muscle is also called entrapment. Also, I read this which writes that there is absolutely no way. http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/pudendal ... ntrapment/

But I'm really worried, becuase all these criterias suit my symptoms. I'm afraid there is no PT where I live. So I'm trying to relax myself. :)
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Senoz, the way it's been explained to me from several doctors (or their staff) is that the nerve can be entrapped in fascia which is the covering around the muscle, it can be entrapped in scar tissue, or you can have an enlarged obturator internus muscle impinging on the nerve, or the nerve can be compressed between ligaments. Another possibility I've read is that you can have an elongated ischial spine irritating the nerve. I don't know if there is an exact medical definition for "entrapment" but the things I listed above are typical culprits in causing a condition where the nerve has to be released surgically. Another possible sight of "entrapment" is at the falciform process of the sacrotuberous ligament where the ligament is irritating the nerve as it runs through the alcock's canal.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”