Elliptical and/or Piriformis Stretch as Cause of PN.PNE

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
c90danwaiel

Re: Elliptical and/or Piriformis Stretch as Cause of PN.PNE

Post by c90danwaiel »

New here and just posted an introduction post, outlining my situation. My physical therapist had me add a piriformis stretch after I misaligned my hip after a hiking trip (my hips had been previously misaligned and the pain resolved after realigning them the first time), and I noticed my pain worsened after the piriformis stretches. Apparantly, intense stretching can cause trigger points in the muscle to activate and tense up. The same source says a tense piriformis can cause entrapment of the pudendal nerve (http://www.triggerpointbook.com/index.p ... Itemid=161). I'm wondering if that's what's happening in my case. When I apply heat to my piriformis area - particularly on the left side - I notice my pain subsides. I suspect that's allowing the muscle to relax and the pressure on my pudendal to subside. Muscle relaxers have had a similar effect on me.

If this is the case, I wonder what the solution is. Seems like the best route would be to release the trigger points in the piriformis, although I'm a bit spooked to hear someone's symptoms on here were brought on by massaging the piriformis with a massage ball. Going to ask my pelvic PT in a few days and get her ideas.
Going on 10 months of being virtually free from pelvic pain after taking mind-body approach.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Dan, I had really good results in releasing the piriformis spasms using a TENS unit 2 hours a day. I explained how to do it in the following thread:

http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =32&t=4015
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Trish, I don't know if playing tennis would be the cause of your problems. It seems like it could be high impact on your pelvis/ligaments. Have you been evaluated by a PT?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
wannagetbetter

Post by wannagetbetter »

Dan - Can you please let us know how it goes? I suspect cycling as a possible initiator and I have piriformis type pain. Thanks.
solarmom

Post by solarmom »

wannagetbetter:

i tried to pm you but didnt work

my pt first worked on strengthening my piriformis thru doing clamshells.pretty standard-you can look this up. we have now moved to trying to strengthen my glutes. i get down on all fours, and first just slide onen leg back at a time, shifting weight to the other side. then i go back to all fours and try lifting the leg outward, knee still bent, twice in quick successsion( she called this the fire hydrant). lastly i try extending the leg back and lifting the opposite arm out. all of this work also makes you use your core.
if this makes you hurt in any way thst isnt just muscular, stop it. i've tried a lot of stuff over the years and learned that if it made the nerve flare at first, it wasnt worth doing it more.

when i go to bed if my left piriformis is in spasm i lay on my right side and work trigger points.
i just reach to the the widest part of my thigh on the outside and push on the tightest part holding for a minute. i think this may be the insertion point of the piriformis on my femur. i then work my way up the muscle to the gluteal cleft pushing on several points.
my pt also tries to shorten the muscle, not stretch it or give me stretching exercises

i hope some of this helps. i know how horribly painful all of this is

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”