Another MRI???

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Missingmylife42

Another MRI???

Post by Missingmylife42 »

know this might sound quite stupid to some people or maybe really smart, but since August after the MRI with Dr Potter i have gotten much worse had alot of other things done to my body, and me and Dan were thinking I should have another MRI to see if anything has changed I have o many new symptoms now and in differen...t pain in different areas. The dr can compare them It will be the pudendal nerve, pelvis, sacrum, lumbar spine if thats all the same thing i dont know but everything will be covered. Then we take that information to Dr hibner and Loretta both reports. I know Conway is not going to write the prescription for me, we are asking Quesda next Friday I dont see why he would not. Something is just telling me this needs to be done, so many different symptoms since August. Any opinions??? Good or bad.. Yes I know I have PN but want to know if anything moved or got worse, wouldnt any of you before making a trip to Arizona. My mri from Potter dosent say anything bad about the sacbrtebous ligament, not sure if pt can hurt it or not.. but since pt i am in extreme pain and since antalock.. so something is muchh different since dr potter I can repost my mri if anyone want to know it, but i could sit before antalock no rectum pain either, and before pt noo perrium pain and no vafinal or pubic pulling cant explain it i also went off effexor xr a month ago not sure if thats why i am in so much pain again

Alisa
AliPasha1

Re: Another MRI???

Post by AliPasha1 »

Alisa,
You can have another done with Dr. Potter or schedule one with Dr. O lga Kalinkin in Phoenix,Arizona when you meet Dr. Hibner.
It is your decision which ever you feel comfortable with.

Take care,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Missingmylife42

Do I just ask Dr hibner before going down there. I want him to have everything before making the trip. Just found out I need to see Sara for a pt workup the day before. Could I really have gotten more damage since August? ?
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

If you want to have records to bring with you to Dr. Hibner than you are probably better off to have another MRI done before seeing him. Why will Dr. Conway not write you another script to see Dr. Potter? I don't think taking another look at the situation could really hurt especially since you have gotten worse since August. I can't tell you why you have gotten worse but some people do get new symptoms or have very bad flares from nerve blocks and for some, the effects have remained with them until after surgery.
merrie

Post by merrie »

What things have been done that make you feel that another MRI is neccessary?

My feeling ask Dr Hibner's assistant to get his opinion before you do anything as he may want Dr Kalinkin to do the follow up MRI to get a different opinion/persepctive rather than going back to Dr Potter. You may also want to consult with Dr Potter to see what she says. I had my MRI done with Dr Galinkin - perhaps you can coordinate it to be done the day before you see Dr Hibner?

Good luck!
Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
Missingmylife42

Hi i had some interesting nerve blocks with dr antalock, and physical threapy that made me much worse, i am in more pain now than i was in august i could sit before and have sex and orgasms tmi i did not have burning thighs burning rectum burning burning sacrum buttocks all i had was a burning clitoris burning vagina and labia and under scar from hysterctomy, bladder problems etc but nothing like now :(
merrie

Post by merrie »

I think it would be safe to ask Dr Hibner's asisstant to ask Dr Hibner what he recommend you do. Also a consideration is if your insurance would pay for another MRI so soon.

Good luck.
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
nyt

Post by nyt »

I would talk with Dr. Hibner's office and see what they think. Why put yourself through the pain of travelling to Dr. Potter if Dr. Hibner doesn't see the need. Most insurance companies are not all that willing to pay for MRI's esp. if you recenlty had one (<1 yr).

Pelvic PT made me 100 times worse and took me a long time to recovery. It seems to me that if you have a nerve trapped in scar tissue and the PT is trying to manually break up scar tissue that they are just pulling on the nerve which makes you worse. Many of the exercises they give can make you worse because any type of squat/stretch can pull the nerve. Stop PT if it is making you worse.

We often here on this forum that pudendal blocks made someone worse. I have had about 8 bilateral pudendal blocks and twice I had flares. One flare took months to settle down but it finally did. I do know there are some individuals that the flares settled down but left them with new symptoms they did not have before. Hopefully, that won't be the case for you and the flare will settle down with time.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

nyt wrote:I would talk with Dr. Hibner's office and see what they think. Why put yourself through the pain of travelling to Dr. Potter if Dr. Hibner doesn't see the need. Most insurance companies are not all that willing to pay for MRI's esp. if you recenlty had one (<1 yr).
Alisa,

I agree with NYT, I do not see the need for doing another MRI since you have had one recently unless you have to have another one to meet Dr Hibner's requirements. Pn symptoms can get worse just from the passage of time as well as from the blocks, PT etc. It seems to me that the nerve itself would still be in the same place and if it is entrapped that would likely be in the same place too. Of course, you should do what you think is best. If you are going to worry that you might be wasting a trip to Phoenix unless you have another MRI, then by all means, have one so that you will have done everything you can.

Best wishes,
Jeanie
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

nyt wrote:
Pelvic PT made me 100 times worse and took me a long time to recovery. It seems to me that if you have a nerve trapped in scar tissue and the PT is trying to manually break up scar tissue that they are just pulling on the nerve which makes you worse. Many of the exercises they give can make you worse because any type of squat/stretch can pull the nerve. Stop PT if it is making you worse.
I agree nyt
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”